Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1656770 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #8895 on: December 17, 2015, 12:59:17 pm »
I have a question for you guys:

In my new house, my game room is out in the garage. It's winter now and it's getting pretty cold, but it is dry out there. It's not freezing, though, I'd say it gets down to the 40s and 50s Fahrenheit. Once in a while into the late 30s. (I have a space heater for when I'm actually out there, so I'm okay, just worried about the consoles when I'm not in there.)

Do you think that my consoles and games will be okay out there? So far, it hasn't been a problem.
I've actually always found it confusing when people renovate their garage into extra living space, but then they don't properly ventilate and insulate the new living space.

My in-laws did it and it is connected to the central air-conditioning and heating, properly insulated on all sides.  Honestly, you can barely tell it used to be a garage.

On a more relevant note, I'm in a heat laden area, so I've never had experience with any tech having issues with cold weather, but I know hot weather doesn't do too much damage.  Labels might start to lose their grip, if it gets too hot things might melt, but everything worked in the situations I've seen... other than one time I saw a melted psx game.

Really? It confuses you? One word answer: Money.

« Reply #8896 on: December 17, 2015, 01:05:50 pm »

In my new house, my game room is out in the garage. It's winter now and it's getting pretty cold, but it is dry out there. It's not freezing, though, I'd say it gets down to the 40s and 50s Fahrenheit. Once in a while into the late 30s. (I have a space heater for when I'm actually out there, so I'm okay, just worried about the consoles when I'm not in there.)

Do you think that my consoles and games will be okay out there? So far, it hasn't been a problem.
I've actually always found it confusing when people renovate their garage into extra living space, but then they don't properly ventilate and insulate the new living space.

My in-laws did it and it is connected to the central air-conditioning and heating, properly insulated on all sides.  Honestly, you can barely tell it used to be a garage.

On a more relevant note, I'm in a heat laden area, so I've never had experience with any tech having issues with cold weather, but I know hot weather doesn't do too much damage.  Labels might start to lose their grip, if it gets too hot things might melt, but everything worked in the situations I've seen... other than one time I saw a melted psx game.

I think that might be more priority than money.  If you have the money to buy games, you could otherwise save that money to properly insulate your living space.  You'd probably save more money in the long run insulating the room properly and not needing a space heater than using a space heater.  Those have relatively high electrical drain, don't they?

Then again, I live in a heat laden area, so when you don't properly insulate and ventilate, you are trying to sit and be comfortable playing video games and what not, but it's like 103 degrees.  That discomfort is definitely worth spending the money for insulation and ventilation.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:07:53 pm by ctracy87 »

kashell

« Reply #8897 on: December 17, 2015, 01:10:51 pm »
I was raised in the school of, "Treat Technology with Love and Respect and Keep Them Stored in Room Temperature" so my guess is that they should be stored elsewhere. Or, like ctracy mentioned, you could do some renovating to the garage to make it room temperature and not have to worry about them being in cold temperatures.

It's a good thing this has been a mild winter so far.

gf78

« Reply #8898 on: December 17, 2015, 01:19:31 pm »

In the 50's?  No.  While cool, that's still a pretty decent temp range and electronics seem to function just fine like that.  40's and below?  I think you are asking for trouble.  You may feel it's dry and it may appear to be dry, but there is moisture in the air.  The only things I store in my garage are empty console boxes and similar items. 

With that being said, I don't think you should have any major worries this winter if all you are doing is storing the items there.  If you try to use the consoles, moisture built-up in the system can cause problems as they heat up from use.  I would use the earliest opportunity to do something about it. 

Insulation and drywall can be purchased pretty cheap if you look around.  If you have a concrete floor, you can find remnant pieces of carpet pretty cheap as well or area rugs.  Putting that stuff up (and down) will insulate from the temperature extremes.  Running a single duct extension if you have central air/heat out there would also ensure that the temps don't drop below the low 60's.  To me, that's a small investment.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8899 on: December 17, 2015, 01:54:11 pm »

I mean insulation isn't really that expensive per roll and its one of the easier jobs someone can do on their own. Installing 2x4s laying insulation on the wall and hanging drywall are all pretty easy DIY jobs. Not as expensive as you might think.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8900 on: December 17, 2015, 02:09:45 pm »
I was hoping to get enough tax return this year to make it into a proper room. But until then, the money just isn't there.

gf78

« Reply #8901 on: December 17, 2015, 03:21:41 pm »
I was hoping to get enough tax return this year to make it into a proper room. But until then, the money just isn't there.

Like I said, it should be fine for storage this winter.  I'm just keenly aware that drastic temperature extremes such as dipping into the 30's and then in the dead of summer rising into the 100's has physical affects on plastic and paper products.  Have you received a package in the mail with something like a game in it when it is really cold outside?  Even though there isn't any perceivable moisture and the contents just appear to be cold, take it inside the house and see what happens.  Immediate condensation.  I've seen many steelbook DVD, Blu-Ray and video game cases that are rusted not because they were directly exposed to water, but simply because they have experience changes in the temperature like I listed above.  The same thing will happen to the connectors in systems like NES, SNES and Genesis.

Again, should be fine for one winter especially this (so far) mild one we are having.  Not knowing the layout of your garage, but I assume it already has 2X4 studs on the wall.  You can go to a discount lumber or home store that sells seconds (cheaper, not perfect items but still good) and get rolls of insulation or even "blow-in" insulation. 

As for drywall, all you need to work with it is a measuring tape, pencil, ruler/straight edge, hammer, drywall screws and a good utility knife.  Measure, draw lines with your pencil and then use the utility knife to slice into the drywall.  Once you have a straight cut you want, cut into it again deeper using the groove you already made to guide you.  Once you are most of the way through, you can just bend the drywall.  The paper backing will hold it together but break the inner material.  Then just slice along.  It's really pretty easy and not as daunting as you might think.  You can then either tape & mud the joints where the drywall meets or put up inexpensive paneling. 

Get a section of remnant carpet on the cheap from a discount store, lay it down and just trim it with a utility knife to get it where it looks decent and doesn't stand up around the wall. 

These things alone will really help maintain a safer temperature range.  If the garage is attached to your house and not a separate one, running a duct extension from the closest vent will really help. 

We want pics though after you are all done!  ;)

A couple hundred dollars and you will have an insulated room. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

telly

« Reply #8902 on: December 17, 2015, 05:33:02 pm »
So I forgot to mention that at least one part of my choir concert this year was uploaded to YouTube! I wanted to share it with you guys, even though I wish my instructor would upload the rest of the Requiem. Only Dies Irae is up right now.

Some of you guys will be able to spot me. ;) I'm in the video at one point.

Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8903 on: December 17, 2015, 10:00:58 pm »
So I forgot to mention that at least one part of my choir concert this year was uploaded to YouTube! I wanted to share it with you guys, even though I wish my instructor would upload the rest of the Requiem. Only Dies Irae is up right now.

Some of you guys will be able to spot me. ;) I'm in the video at one point.

That was really good, thanks for sharing
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

maximo310

« Reply #8904 on: December 17, 2015, 10:12:04 pm »
Looking forwards to the rest when it gets uploaded.

kashell

« Reply #8905 on: December 18, 2015, 08:59:25 am »
Holy $h!+ balls, you guys sound wonderful. O_o I was not expecting such power from the vocals since the orchestra usually overpowers the choir.

Great job. Of course, it comes as no surprise that Telly did the best. I'm not biased, I just have an amazing ear for music!

rayne315

« Reply #8906 on: December 18, 2015, 01:54:04 pm »
you know what someone should really make an unofficial vgcollect leader boards forum where people can opt into being ranked in their collections. I would make it myself but knowing me I would not update it anywhere near enough to make it feasible. It can start out with things like most items total, most physical, most digital, most per system (probably keep it to most popular systems), completed collections, etc. heck even most games finished/least backlog by percentage of total collection. really anything enough people provide the information for.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

gf78

« Reply #8907 on: December 18, 2015, 01:59:11 pm »
you know what someone should really make an unofficial vgcollect leader boards forum where people can opt into being ranked in their collections. I would make it myself but knowing me I would not update it anywhere near enough to make it feasible. It can start out with things like most items total, most physical, most digital, most per system (probably keep it to most popular systems), completed collections, etc. heck even most games finished/least backlog by percentage of total collection. really anything enough people provide the information for.

I've often thought about this^^ 

Something that you could click on a section like "games" for example and it would rank users by the number of games in their collection.  Same for consoles, magazines, etc.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8908 on: December 18, 2015, 02:06:12 pm »
A "Who has the longest internet-penis" board? I'm good without it.

rayne315

« Reply #8909 on: December 18, 2015, 02:07:25 pm »

I've often thought about this^^ 

Something that you could click on a section like "games" for example and it would rank users by the number of games in their collection.  Same for consoles, magazines, etc.

I know a bunch of the forum people have asked for it and I have no idea if it is being considered or if it would cause too much problems but I can see no reason why we cannot create an opt in forum for this very thing.

A "Who has the longest internet-penis" board? I'm good without it.

Which is why I say it should be completely opt in, I know their are people who would not want this/ be ranked into it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 02:10:16 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully