Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1598731 times)

kashell

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #10935 on: May 09, 2016, 04:28:10 pm »
I would never judge you, Lady K. You're too pretty for that.

That comic is hysterical, and so true.

QFT

Kashell, you've just earned a picture of everything I eat.  Thank you faceworld!

Send it to my inbox. HEY-O!

maximo310

« Reply #10936 on: May 09, 2016, 04:35:49 pm »
Man, is it just me or does Goodwill have terrible quality control?
 I went to the one by my house today and found a copy of Eternal Darkness that was missing everything but the disc. When I went to the counter, I asked them about the missing disc and had to convince them to let me take the case off their hands for a few bucks rather than them throwing it in the garbage.
I'm so bummed because I've been looking for the game for a long time, but i still don't have the game disc.  They need to keep their discs behind the counter to prevent people from stealing games.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:52:06 pm by maximo310 »

desocietas

« Reply #10937 on: May 09, 2016, 04:44:58 pm »
I'll never forget this. I was in Key West and we were at this restaurant that had a ton of awesome selections. We all got our food, but this one person at our table would not stop snapping pictures of it. I was -FINISHED- with my meal by the time he got a picture that was "worthy of (sitonmy)Facebook."

I about threw my drink at him. But, that would be a waste of booze and wasting booze is a sin.

Now *that* is a bit much. A photo to appreciate is fine for me, as long as it's not for *every* meal and don't make your friends feel weird about you doing it.  Like someone answering a phone call at the dining table with you there... I just want to smack them and tell them to take it outside. I'm happy to have them chat outside, but right in front of me? awkward...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #10938 on: May 09, 2016, 04:58:27 pm »
Man, is it just me or does Goodwill have a crappy way of keeping inventory in their store?
 I went in today and found a copy of Eternal Darkness that was missing everything but the disc, and had to convince them to let me take it off their hands for a few bucks rather than throw it in the garbage.
I'm so bummed because I've been looking for the game for a long time, but i still don't have the game disc all because they didn't keep the discs behind the counter.
You worded that weirdly, or typed it incorrectly.

I hate that so much, going into goodwill and finding a decent game case, but the game is missing because some twit couldn't afford to pay $3.99 for the game with the case, so they swipe the disc by itself.  Most Goodwills by me put it in glass display cases, but sometimes folks put stuff out with the DVD's, that's when you find all the empty cases.  It's such a fricking bummer.

On that same note, it pisses me off that they get the stuff for free, someone steals it because they are inconsiderate dill holes, and they decide that since they don't have the game, they can't give it away for free because giving things away for free is bad and wrong (their entire business process), so they have to destroy it or sell it for a minor discount if you are lucky.  I had a similar situation and they said they could only knock 9 cents off the price since the disc was missing, and they said that if I didn't buy it they were going to break the case in half and tear up the inserts.  I proceeded to watch the lady tear up the manual and cover art for the game, just kind of blew my mind.

Similar story, an estate sale had a TON of boxed N64, SNES, and GBA games, but they were priced at like $100 per game and they were all cheap games and the boxes weren't even in great condition.  I mean to say there was a sign that said $100.00 per game on it.  Some dick stole all of the carts on the first day of the sale, so the guy running the sale threw all of the boxes and manuals in a compactor.  Like, I told him all the boxes were empty and asked if he would sell just the boxes and manuals, so he grabbed them and took them out to their compactor.  I think there was a non BC Wii with a GCN DK Bongo controller and he wanted $250 for it.  These people.

maximo310

« Reply #10939 on: May 09, 2016, 05:57:03 pm »
Man, is it just me or does Goodwill have a crappy way of keeping inventory in their store?
 I went in today and found a copy of Eternal Darkness that was missing everything but the disc, and had to convince them to let me take it off their hands for a few bucks rather than throw it in the garbage.
I'm so bummed because I've been looking for the game for a long time, but i still don't have the game disc all because they didn't keep the discs behind the counter.
You worded that weirdly, or typed it incorrectly.

I hate that so much, going into goodwill and finding a decent game case, but the game is missing because some twit couldn't afford to pay $3.99 for the game with the case, so they swipe the disc by itself.  Most Goodwills by me put it in glass display cases, but sometimes folks put stuff out with the DVD's, that's when you find all the empty cases.  It's such a fricking bummer.

On that same note, it pisses me off that they get the stuff for free, someone steals it because they are inconsiderate dill holes, and they decide that since they don't have the game, they can't give it away for free because giving things away for free is bad and wrong (their entire business process), so they have to destroy it or sell it for a minor discount if you are lucky.  I had a similar situation and they said they could only knock 9 cents off the price since the disc was missing, and they said that if I didn't buy it they were going to break the case in half and tear up the inserts.  I proceeded to watch the lady tear up the manual and cover art for the game, just kind of blew my mind.

Similar story, an estate sale had a TON of boxed N64, SNES, and GBA games, but they were priced at like $100 per game and they were all cheap games and the boxes weren't even in great condition.  I mean to say there was a sign that said $100.00 per game on it.  Some dick stole all of the carts on the first day of the sale, so the guy running the sale threw all of the boxes and manuals in a compactor.  Like, I told him all the boxes were empty and asked if he would sell just the boxes and manuals, so he grabbed them and took them out to their compactor.  I think there was a non BC Wii with a GCN DK Bongo controller and he wanted $250 for it.  These people.

My bad, I fixed it. An all-nighter for finals does wonders for the brain.

But its funny how the employees looked at me weirdly for stating that I was still interested in the case/manual. They know all about the video game price rise+ demand, and how most of their inventory goes on their horrible auction site w/ fuel surcharges to the price. Some stores do keep discs behind the counter; other don't so its probably up to the seller.
That estate sale sounds horrible; that's why I avoid those in my area.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10940 on: May 09, 2016, 07:43:17 pm »
Well, that whole not buying anything went out the window.

Limited Run Games got me. I guess I'll just try to get all the PS4 games.

Warmsignal

« Reply #10941 on: May 10, 2016, 12:41:32 am »
I feel like commenting on multiple things.

Food pictures, AKA Instagram, I get that it's some people's thing and I won't bash it. It's just 99% of what I eat is nothing to write home, or photo home about. Or maybe it is and I just don't care?

Item number two... Goodwill, I think sometimes people donate things and no one checks to see if it's even in there to begin with. I'll find music CDs with no disc, or the wrong disc, etc. I'm not sure why anyone would steal something that costs around $2, so I find that less likely.

On not buying games, for me it's looking like I will probably get that car (I did get the call back). I don't know that this will necessarily cause a major strain on my collecting, but I really think I'm reaching the point where I don't care as much? So close to "having it all" by my own terms. When I decided axe a lot of the shelf trophy pipe dreams that I wanted for the wrong reasons, all I have left it just a lot of inexpensive filler I guess some would call it (tend to like it), a few childhood games I still need, etc. Sega Saturn is still an increasing burden to care about, other than that the market has all but lost it's death grip on me. A lot of times I'm stumbling along like a mindless zombie tying to find anything that looks tasty enough to bite on. It really is mostly a habit.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10942 on: May 10, 2016, 12:48:43 am »

Food pictures, AKA Instagram, I get that it's some people's thing and I won't bash it. It's just 99% of what I eat is nothing to write home, or photo home about. Or maybe it is and I just don't care?

I have a friend like you, but its his major pet peeve. He will talk shit to people online that do this lol.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

gf78

« Reply #10943 on: May 10, 2016, 08:33:24 am »

Item number two... Goodwill, I think sometimes people donate things and no one checks to see if it's even in there to begin with. I'll find music CDs with no disc, or the wrong disc, etc. I'm not sure why anyone would steal something that costs around $2, so I find that less likely.

On not buying games, for me it's looking like I will probably get that car (I did get the call back). I don't know that this will necessarily cause a major strain on my collecting, but I really think I'm reaching the point where I don't care as much? So close to "having it all" by my own terms. When I decided axe a lot of the shelf trophy pipe dreams that I wanted for the wrong reasons, all I have left it just a lot of inexpensive filler I guess some would call it (tend to like it), a few childhood games I still need, etc. Sega Saturn is still an increasing burden to care about, other than that the market has all but lost it's death grip on me. A lot of times I'm stumbling along like a mindless zombie tying to find anything that looks tasty enough to bite on. It really is mostly a habit.

I agree that people don't check what they donate.  I mean in reality, they are giving it away for free.  Is everyone doing this going to open a box and make sure the right game/movie/cd is in it?  Are they going to bother opening it at all?  I'm sure part of the "empty case mystery" is theft because trashy people and klepto's just do that.  But for the most part, I think it's just that the donator(s) don't give a crap. 

Glad to hear you got the call.  I know where you are coming from on not caring as much about collecting.  It's gets to the point where you are buying things just to add to your collection and not necessarily because it's something you really want.  And your zombie analogy is not only hilarious, it's spot-on.   ;D
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #10944 on: May 10, 2016, 08:40:59 am »
I'm kind of burnt on hunting in the wild these days. I don't see a point in doing that if your favorite stores decide to match or exceed prices on amazon or e(vil)Bay. I might as well just do all of my shopping online.

abe

« Reply #10945 on: May 10, 2016, 08:46:44 am »
I'm kind of burnt on hunting in the wild these days. I don't see a point in doing that if your favorite stores decide to match or exceed prices on amazon or e(vil)Bay. I might as well just do all of my shopping online.

This is too true. I like supporting local businesses and all, but overpricing everything is all too common now. Not only that, but if prices were decent enough, resellers would just buy everything up anyway. :-\
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

gf78

« Reply #10946 on: May 10, 2016, 08:57:17 am »
Yeah, the local mom & pop near me has jacked their prices up.  Consoles that they used to charge $25 like a NES or Gamecube are now $45-55.  Coincidence perhaps, but I notice they have quite a few more of each console on the shelves for sale now that the prices have gone up like that.  I'm leaning toward people not willing to pay the higher prices.

And the whole "it's this price" regardless of condition or completeness is a real turn-off for me.  If you have a complete and good condition copy of (say) Resident Evil for Gamecube, I might be willing to part with $20+ for it.  When it's a generic case with a sloppy, faded printout art insert and no manual?  Nope.  Not happening.  Or my personal favorite when the case obviously sat in standing water long enough that the cover art glued itself to the plastic.  So when you open the case, it tears the finish off the art and it sticks to the back of the plastic.   >:(
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

gf78

« Reply #10947 on: May 10, 2016, 09:02:19 am »
BTW...I just uploaded pics of a glorious batch of new games for sale!   ;)

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,6820.0.html

« Reply #10948 on: May 10, 2016, 09:10:04 am »
There is actually a local store I go to because their prices are usually below retail, it's a comic book store firstly, so most of their money comes from comics, so they don't need to gouge on games.  I was talking to one of the employees and he tells me they fired their video game guy because reasons and I had asked if I could look through their boxes of games to buy a bunch of games since they only had a handful of games on display for sale.  The guy explained to me how the games in the boxes hadn't been repriced to what he wants to sell them for and that if I let him know what I'm looking for he can call or email me to let me know how much if they get it.  I asked how he determines his pricing, because I'm genuinely concerned he's going to do the usual game store thing and price up and over retail.  I basically asked if he does full market value or if he determines price based on condition or anything.  His response was that he doesn't go by ebay and that if he wanted to go by ebay he would sell on ebay and close the store because why pay rent on the building and employees if I'm just going to sell it for the same price as ebay.  I had to just shut up and ignore that because his method of pricing things seems to be whack and some games are really cheap.  But yeah, ebay takes 10%+, you gotta pay shipping, gotta get shipping supplies for your games, shutting down your store prevents restocking your inventory, plus your store isn't for selling video games it's for selling comics, cards, and collectibles.  He told me how his back storeroom is packed to the brim with games and stuff and that he needs to go through everything but it's his lowest priority because while its sitting back there, it's just appreciating in value, so he's totally cool just letting it sit back there.

I get it... I guess... but it's kind of a shitty mind set, and telling this to a customer who you know, or should know, comes in fairly frequently to buy video games and drops good money each time, is kind of shitty.

My wife and I talked to the owner about getting a job there to go through inventory and document and price everything, basically run the video game area since it's pretty much dead.  We tried to explain our combined retail experience, knowledge of the market and collectors, and the fact that if he has a specific method to determine pricing that we would follow his methodology.  His response was that it would take 3 years for him to train us to use his method.  My wife can't get over that statement.  But he did give us his business card and told us to email him about it, so maybe.

gf78

« Reply #10949 on: May 10, 2016, 09:13:03 am »
There is actually a local store I go to because their prices are usually below retail, it's a comic book store firstly, so most of their money comes from comics, so they don't need to gouge on games.  I was talking to one of the employees and he tells me they fired their video game guy because reasons and I had asked if I could look through their boxes of games to buy a bunch of games since they only had a handful of games on display for sale.  The guy explained to me how the games in the boxes hadn't been repriced to what he wants to sell them for and that if I let him know what I'm looking for he can call or email me to let me know how much if they get it.  I asked how he determines his pricing, because I'm genuinely concerned he's going to do the usual game store thing and price up and over retail.  I basically asked if he does full market value or if he determines price based on condition or anything.  His response was that he doesn't go by ebay and that if he wanted to go by ebay he would sell on ebay and close the store because why pay rent on the building and employees if I'm just going to sell it for the same price as ebay.  I had to just shut up and ignore that because his method of pricing things seems to be whack and some games are really cheap.  But yeah, ebay takes 10%+, you gotta pay shipping, gotta get shipping supplies for your games, shutting down your store prevents restocking your inventory, plus your store isn't for selling video games it's for selling comics, cards, and collectibles.  He told me how his back storeroom is packed to the brim with games and stuff and that he needs to go through everything but it's his lowest priority because while its sitting back there, it's just appreciating in value, so he's totally cool just letting it sit back there.

I get it... I guess... but it's kind of a shitty mind set, and telling this to a customer who you know, or should know, comes in fairly frequently to buy video games and drops good money each time, is kind of shitty.

My wife and I talked to the owner about getting a job there to go through inventory and document and price everything, basically run the video game area since it's pretty much dead.  We tried to explain our combined retail experience, knowledge of the market and collectors, and the fact that if he has a specific method to determine pricing that we would follow his methodology.  His response was that it would take 3 years for him to train us to use his method.  My wife can't get over that statement.  But he did give us his business card and told us to email him about it, so maybe.

He sounds like a dick to me.  If he doesn't want to be in the games business and just lets the stuff pile up, he shouldn't be dealing with them to begin with.  It sounds like he absolutely wants to sell for high prices and he wants to find the "treasures" in there and jack the price up on them.  I've seen it before.  Sellers like him will "blow out" the cheap or common games for next to nothing and try to get top dollar for anything remotely desirable. 

Me personally, I wouldn't bother with the guy.  There is a local comic shop down the road from the local mom & pop game store.  It's within 20 minutes of my house or just a hair out of the way of coming home from work.  But the guy is a total dick and a creep.  He talks shit behind customer's backs after they leave the store so I know he did the same shit to me.  He ogles the ladies who are unfortunate enough to step into his den of creepiness and about eight years ago or so, he was the final straw that stopped my comic collecting.  I hit a rough patch for a couple of years after my wife passed away.  I told him it would be about a month before I could come in and pick up my comics I ordered through the catalog and he basically threatened to sue me in court. 

So now I have found a comic shop about 40 miles from home (twice as far) that has been open for a bit over two years.  The co-owners are two very cool guys who love comics, games, toys and everything related to "geek culture" and make you feel welcome and that they actually want you to be there.  I've since started ordering various comics from them and purchased quite a few more off the shelf.  They aren't out to okey-doke you are jack up the price of a brand-new comic that just came out because it has a common variant cover. 

So a big shout-out to my pals at All the Rage Comics in Festus, MO!  220 East Main St. Festus, MO  63028
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:28:00 am by gf78 »