Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1670641 times)

Warmsignal

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #11820 on: August 05, 2016, 02:31:40 pm »
Ive always been a small guy so that hasnt been an issue for me ... but everyone does have their issues. I was born with a bald spot on top of my head and Ive never had a full head of hair. What I wouldnt give to be able to grow my hair with a real hair style or be able to not require a hat everywhere I go. Sadly no insurance or anything considers that a necessity so if I did have something done, it would cost me $1000s of dollars. :(

Can relate somewhat. Always been really thin and able to eat whatever I want without worrying at all. While I don't have a bald spot, for the past five or so years my hair has been thinning particularly along the hairline and it really, really bothers me a lot. I've always worn my hair really long, and I love having hair, probably as much as most women do. It really gets to me, especially since there isn't any balding in the history of my family, that I'm aware of. Guess I just drew the odd short straw on genetics - this started in my early 20s!! What crap! Lately I've been popping a lot of vitamins and special shampoos but I don't think it's going to do any good. I've considered taking meds to help stifle any continued loss. Even the possibility of looking into transplantation, eventually.

necrosexual

« Reply #11821 on: August 05, 2016, 09:14:35 pm »
Today is a big day for me.  Back in October, I started the process required by my health insurance provider to have a sleeve gastrectomy.  After a half-dozen appointments with my primary physician, seven visits required (one per month) with a certified dietician, a mental evaluation, x-rays, tests, getting circle-jerked by the insurance company, refilling paperwork, refaxing more paperwork and just generally being annoyed and wanting to say fuck it all for the past ten months...today I will finally be scheduled for the surgery later this month.  I've fought with my weight since puberty and old age is catching up with me.  I'm past the point where being fluffy didn't affect me physically.  I have back problems, my knees hurt and my blood pressure has slowly crept up to the borderline high mark.

So...within the next two weeks I will be undergoing a laparoscopic procedure to remove a big chunk of my stomach.  I'll be out of work for a month before I will be cleared to return to full duty.  Coincidentally, the department of corrections has finally approved officers to have facial hair starting September 1st.  Before, you could just have a mustache that didn't go past the side of your lips.  Now, we can have a full beard, goatee, sideburns or whatever.  So my plan is when I go out for surgery this month, I'll have a full month before I have to return to work to grow my beard or goatee out.  Haven't decided yet. 

Hopefully when I return to work, I'll be about 45 lbs lighter by that point (that is the average weight loss for a man in the first month) and have a beard/goatee.  It will be funny to have all the people here do a double-take.  Hell, I think I will get my hair cut differently for a little extra "throw 'em off" fun.  But mostly, I am doing this for my health and to be there for my daughters as they grow up.

And as an added bonus, I'll be able to wear all those cool t-shirts that they don't make big enough for us fluffy fellas.   ;D  Wish me luck!

-shivers- this kind of surgery? too much for me.

i say, as i save up $10k for a ~nonessential~ mastectomy for my ~nonessential~ legal gender change lmao.
but that's not going into my  body, it just gets rid of shit on the surface >.>;
seriously fuck health insurance companies. just. argh.

like deso said, just... take care of yourself. like, even your reply... kinda sounds like that honeymoon motivation that doesn't last.
just take it a day at a time. i won't... give any other advice, as i'm on the opposite end of the nourishment spectrum here, but yeah, it's not a cure-all, but i'm sure the past 7 months has been nothing but "this isn't a cure all u r srs rite?" bullshit for you... on top of health insurance companies who will try to get out of paying for your fucking severed arm if they at all can. fucking crooked vultures.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

Warmsignal

« Reply #11822 on: August 06, 2016, 03:26:42 pm »
A prime example of what drives me crazy about game collecting. Random PS1 game Ninja Shadow of Darkness, been meaning to pick it up for a couple years. A few months ago it was all over eBay for about $10 - $12. Now? Every BIN is $20 - $25. Why? What happened? Why does this always happen to games that I neglect to pick up, but never happens to games after I picked them up cheaply?

Seriously, who plugged the crap out of this random PS1 game lately? I've noticed it showing up in multiple signatures around here lately, so I'm thinking someone has gone on YouTube and said that everyone must have this game right away. This was just an inexpensive, random PS1 game. Now it's somewhat coveted?

kashell

« Reply #11823 on: August 06, 2016, 03:42:01 pm »
It's not very good. I can assure you that you're not missing much by not owning it.

gf78

« Reply #11824 on: August 06, 2016, 04:36:10 pm »
Hah!  I just sold a near mint, complete copy of this a couple weeks ago. Like Kash said, you aren't missing much. It sucked.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11825 on: August 06, 2016, 07:01:01 pm »
Our new TV in the living room has composite and HDMI inputs, but not component. I have an original model XBox 360, which hooks up to HD via component. I can still hook it up through the composite, but I'd much rather have the HD, of course.

So is there a cheap cable or adapter out there that can reroute my component to the HDMI connection?

I know there's those $40-$60 upscaler boxes you can get at Best Buy or similar stores, but that seems like a bit much since I'm not trying to upscale standard-to-HD. I figured someone here probably would know if there's a better option.

Thanks.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11826 on: August 07, 2016, 01:19:47 am »
Anyone watching the Olympics? Poor guy shattered his leg.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

Warmsignal

« Reply #11827 on: August 07, 2016, 11:43:09 am »
It's not very good. I can assure you that you're not missing much by not owning it.

I must have misread, there seems to be plenty of listings today under $10. Anyways, I tend to like so-called bad games.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11828 on: August 07, 2016, 01:54:08 pm »
Anyone watching the Olympics? Poor guy shattered his leg.

Yeah, i saw that in the news, ouch.

shepard11

« Reply #11829 on: August 07, 2016, 03:12:07 pm »
Yeah one of my customers showed me that video I almost puked. Reminded me of Psycho Sid breaking his leg in WCW.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11830 on: August 07, 2016, 06:33:06 pm »
Not all LJN games suck:

« Reply #11831 on: August 08, 2016, 08:56:36 am »
Speaking of games jumping in price... holy crap did Dokapon Kingdom sky rocket.

A guy posted a CIB copy for sale for $150 and I laughed it off and thought about it and went and looked... not quite $150, but it's up there now.  Glad I got my copy back when it was cheap.  I told my wife, and now she is making us play it.  It's fairly fun.

« Reply #11832 on: August 08, 2016, 08:58:01 am »
http://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker?dpci=207-32-0974 (Forza Horizon 2)
http://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker?dpci=058-37-1578 (Killing joke steelbook)

How reliable is that?  ;)
Not super reliable.  But it helps.  Always call in advance if you don't want to make the trip for nothing.

I decided to take the Nestea plunge on this and drove out to a location that showed it in stock on that site but sold out on Target's site. I figured if anything I could scope out the clearance stuff at that location. So I venture out there, make a beeline to the electronics department and find the end cap that has the new releases. I spy 6 copies on Blu-Ray packed together and one sitting by itself. I grab the lone one and see it's just the regular version w/slipcover. I check the other 6 and they're the same. Oh well...time to check clearance I guess and then head to work. I decide to circle the end cap and on one side I spy another copy of the movie. I pick it up and there it is...the Steelbook version!  ;D

Thanks ignition365 for directing me to that site. I didn't realize it could be used to search other inventories like Wal-Mart.  :)
Congrats, I'm glad you found it.

desocietas

« Reply #11833 on: August 08, 2016, 10:51:40 am »
Speaking of games jumping in price... holy crap did Dokapon Kingdom sky rocket.

A guy posted a CIB copy for sale for $150 and I laughed it off and thought about it and went and looked... not quite $150, but it's up there now.  Glad I got my copy back when it was cheap.  I told my wife, and now she is making us play it.  It's fairly fun.

Oh jeez, that's crazy. Used to be that Dokapon Journey was the difficult/pricey one to get. Glad I got mine when I could for cheap. Had a lot of fun playing it with roommates back in the day.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

gf78

« Reply #11834 on: August 08, 2016, 10:53:21 am »
-shivers- this kind of surgery? too much for me.

i say, as i save up $10k for a ~nonessential~ mastectomy for my ~nonessential~ legal gender change lmao.
but that's not going into my  body, it just gets rid of shit on the surface >.>;
seriously fuck health insurance companies. just. argh.

like deso said, just... take care of yourself. like, even your reply... kinda sounds like that honeymoon motivation that doesn't last.
just take it a day at a time. i won't... give any other advice, as i'm on the opposite end of the nourishment spectrum here, but yeah, it's not a cure-all, but i'm sure the past 7 months has been nothing but "this isn't a cure all u r srs rite?" bullshit for you... on top of health insurance companies who will try to get out of paying for your fucking severed arm if they at all can. fucking crooked vultures.

Oh for sure, it's not a cure-all and I'm not in any honeymoon stage over it.  I've fought and struggled since is was a young lad.  The surgery is more like my last resort as my decrepit old ass is starting to have knee & joint pain that is preventing me from exercising like I used to.  I've put this off for years, saying I could do it without any outside help.  Guess I finally realized that I never be able to do it for more than a year and I'm running out of time. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us