Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1541993 times)

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #13800 on: October 23, 2017, 07:02:19 pm »
I really don't know why, but I bought the Steam Link + ICEY bundle on Steam.  So once that comes in maybe I'll make an effort to start playing Steam games now that I won't necessarily have to be tethered to the computer.

So many of my Steam friends got that bundle and i feel left out. I'd love to have a Steam link to play Steam games on my tv. Unfortunately, the bundle wasn't available to Canadians at all, and $70 is a bit too much for me to warrant buying one from EB Games or Amazon.
Currently Playing
Final Fantasy XIV, Overwatch, Persona 3/4/5

Flashback2012

« Reply #13801 on: October 23, 2017, 07:26:34 pm »
So many of my Steam friends got that bundle and i feel left out. I'd love to have a Steam link to play Steam games on my tv. Unfortunately, the bundle wasn't available to Canadians at all, and $70 is a bit too much for me to warrant buying one from EB Games or Amazon.

Oof...$70? The initial MSRP on the Steam Link was $50 here in the States and it's gone on sale a couple of times as low as $20 (I think they were as low as $15 once). The last time they were on sale, my cousin and I checked the GameStop locations in our area but they seemed to have dried up.  :-\

« Reply #13802 on: October 23, 2017, 10:33:48 pm »

Oof...$70? The initial MSRP on the Steam Link was $50 here in the States and it's gone on sale a couple of times as low as $20 (I think they were as low as $15 once). The last time they were on sale, my cousin and I checked the GameStop locations in our area but they seemed to have dried up.  :-\

Yeah I think it's like $65 CAD but with taxes it goes up to like $72ish. I've never seen them go on sale here though.
Currently Playing
Final Fantasy XIV, Overwatch, Persona 3/4/5

Warmsignal

« Reply #13803 on: October 24, 2017, 08:59:31 pm »
Just FYI, when the GameStop site says the store has it, they have it, even if the person looks on their computer and says they don't. Sometimes not every last copy of a game they have makes it out to the floor. So it's probably in one of the drawers. The other day, they told me they didn't have it despite the app saying they did. Then today I was there, and I happened to look over at one of their drawers of games, and there was it. Actually this happened twice recently, but at the second place the guy was willing to check the drawers for me without asking and again, the game was there. So have them check for you, if this happens.

« Reply #13804 on: October 25, 2017, 08:16:54 am »
Just FYI, when the GameStop site says the store has it, they have it, even if the person looks on their computer and says they don't. Sometimes not every last copy of a game they have makes it out to the floor. So it's probably in one of the drawers. The other day, they told me they didn't have it despite the app saying they did. Then today I was there, and I happened to look over at one of their drawers of games, and there was it. Actually this happened twice recently, but at the second place the guy was willing to check the drawers for me without asking and again, the game was there. So have them check for you, if this happens.
Had a similar situation yesterday.

Game wasn't out on the shelf, but the site said they had it.  Inventory said they had it too.  Guy didn't even check the floor, he went straight to the drawer to see if they had a disc, turned out the game and case was in the drawer, not even out on the floor at all.

desocietas

« Reply #13805 on: October 25, 2017, 12:32:36 pm »
Yup, due to space needs or needs of floor plans and advertising setup, some games or whole sets of a platform (all Wii games, for instance) might be relocated into a drawer or a back room. I've gotten some good finds in great condition because they've just been hidden away for a while.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #13806 on: October 25, 2017, 12:41:26 pm »
Yup, due to space needs or needs of floor plans and advertising setup, some games or whole sets of a platform (all Wii games, for instance) might be relocated into a drawer or a back room. I've gotten some good finds in great condition because they've just been hidden away for a while.
I have historically obtained old GCN/PS2 games from stores that didn't even know they had old stock.

Regardless though, SGAs should be doing ToH counts regularly.  Some stores employees give me dirty looks if I ask them to check the drawers with the usual "We don't have anything in the drawers that isn't out on the floor"

Warmsignal

« Reply #13807 on: October 25, 2017, 12:46:05 pm »
I have historically obtained old GCN/PS2 games from stores that didn't even know they had old stock.

Regardless though, SGAs should be doing ToH counts regularly.  Some stores employees give me dirty looks if I ask them to check the drawers with the usual "We don't have anything in the drawers that isn't out on the floor"

Yep, I think a lot of it is just not wanting to stay on top of things they don't think anyone will care about. I get the feeling a lot of GS employees are the type of gamers who only care about the latest thing to come out, and are still of the mindset that older games are obsolete. I always get crazy looks for buying older, more obscure games there.

« Reply #13808 on: October 25, 2017, 01:37:22 pm »

Yep, I think a lot of it is just not wanting to stay on top of things they don't think anyone will care about. I get the feeling a lot of GS employees are the type of gamers who only care about the latest thing to come out, and are still of the mindset that older games are obsolete. I always get crazy looks for buying older, more obscure games there.
There are about 30 GS stores in my city.  Most of the employees recognize me and are aware that my buying patterns are just fucking out there and don't bother.  The ones that bother get annoying.  Most employees think I'm a secret shopper or with Gamestop HR/LP.  Shit there was one time where a whole store thought I was like a regional manager or something because I was on a first name basis with the district manager and was talking to him about Sku conversion and ToH counts.  I miss paying attention to when stuff hit sku conversion.

« Reply #13809 on: October 25, 2017, 02:39:30 pm »
I nearly fainted when I saw that my employer is ramping up our medical premiums by nearly 400%.

$1,200/month just to get coverage for me and my wife.  No coverage until we hit a $5,000 deductible.

Time to look for a new job... blows my mind that ACA is better even with no subsidies 10/10 than what my work offers.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 03:01:50 pm by ignition365 »

desocietas

« Reply #13810 on: October 25, 2017, 03:23:44 pm »
I nearly fainted when I saw that my employer is ramping up our medical premiums by nearly 400%.

$1,200/month just to get coverage for me and my wife.  No coverage until we hit a $5,000 deductible.

Time to look for a new job... blows my mind that ACA is better even with no subsidies 10/10 than what my work offers.

That's outrageous. I briefly contemplated having my bf get insurance through me and my work, but we were scared off by the idea of an additional $300/month on top of my $80/month for Kaiser. And Kaiser's not our cheapest option! I also live in California, not the cheapest state, at that. That sucks... I hope you're able to find cheaper coverage soon...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #13811 on: October 25, 2017, 03:57:44 pm »

Woah. That's awful. Good luck on the job hunt.

Flashback2012

« Reply #13812 on: October 25, 2017, 04:05:41 pm »

We were notified to check our mailboxes in the next week for the 2018 Open Enrollment information packets. I'm already on the FSA option and that requires me to clear a $4K deductible and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they upped the deductible while at the same time curbing what coverage they do provide. I don't know how anyone else feels, but to me the concept of insurance doesn't really feel like a "benefit" anymore.  :-\

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13813 on: October 25, 2017, 05:21:49 pm »

We were notified to check our mailboxes in the next week for the 2018 Open Enrollment information packets. I'm already on the FSA option and that requires me to clear a $4K deductible and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they upped the deductible while at the same time curbing what coverage they do provide. I don't know how anyone else feels, but to me the concept of insurance doesn't really feel like a "benefit" anymore.  :-\

Hell, I even work for the gov'ment.  Our insurance is high too.  So much for all those "government job benefits".  At least I still get all my days off and a fantastic retirement. 

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13814 on: October 25, 2017, 06:22:53 pm »

Hell, I even work for the gov'ment.  Our insurance is high too.  So much for all those "government job benefits".  At least I still get all my days off and a fantastic retirement.

My wife just went from non-government job to a State of CA government job. I don't know how much worse they've gotten, but it's still MUCH better than the insurance we had through her old job. We were pretty much paying out of pocket with our ridiculously high deductible.