Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1536483 times)

argyle

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #3000 on: July 26, 2014, 01:38:06 pm »
Maybe look up his review and read it? :P

His title is "This is a difficult game to recommend, but those who see it through will be well rewarded."

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/998014-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/reviews/review-153487

Thanks for saving me the trouble. ^_~

And heaven forbid I score something the way I feel it should be scored. The humanity of it all! XD

When I was writing reviews I didn't do scores, but here's my NNK review if anyone feels like reading it.  :)

http://xpbonus.com/review-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

abe

« Reply #3001 on: July 26, 2014, 01:53:16 pm »
Personally, one of the reasons I stopped playing it was because once I got the AI companion I found managing battles to be a pain in the ass. It's a beautiful game and has lots of charm, but I really didn't like the battle system.

This is exactly why I've given up on Ni no Kuni, at least for the moment. Lowering the difficulty doesn't do much to make up for the terrible AI either. I don't understand why they couldn't let you play with other human players controlling your teammates. That could've helped but nooooo... can't do that. :-\
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

bobster

« Reply #3002 on: July 26, 2014, 01:57:31 pm »
Earthbound (and Planescape Torment) are two of the big 'classics' that I've never played.

Can someone give me their stories - in a nutshell - and what it was about the games that made them so renowned & popular?
Honestly, I think Earthbound is a bit too hard to sum up just the story. The game is really more about the journey and the characters more so than the reason you're doing all the things. You kind of just have to play it to get it? Sorry that I can't be more helpful lol.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3003 on: July 26, 2014, 02:49:44 pm »
And...the recognition/distinction goes to ==>

==> Greg

...for making the 3,000th post in a thread/topic of mine -

Far & Away a record and a 1st for me  8)

As a matter of fact (and trivia), I believe that this is also the 1st thread of mine to ever be 'stickied'  ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #3004 on: July 26, 2014, 03:26:18 pm »
*unstickies Topic*
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3005 on: July 26, 2014, 03:46:20 pm »
*unstickies Topic*

Mod-Abuse!

I'm suing VGC for Disgaeniac-discrimination   :P

« Reply #3006 on: July 26, 2014, 05:12:52 pm »
I found the charm/humor/story of Earthbound to be enough for to see it through to the end and I plan on revisiting it again at some point soon... The battle system is certainly nothing really interesting, and at some times just flat out boring, but I do like the fact that you never have true random battles and can get through the game without ever really having to grind, so your time with the battling is kept to the minimum (I think there were maybe 1 or 2 times I had to grind and level up to beat a boss). I also like the fact that you can skip battles and still get the exp when you're way higher in level than the enemy. There are definitely more interesting games out there in terms of gameplay, but there are few games that have made me feel the way I felt when playing that game. If you don't get that feeling, I could see where the game where the game wouldn't be worth the time

And I think most of the feels I got were evoked mostly from the fucking amazing music in the game. Probably my favorite SNES soundtrack ever.

Yes, the soundtrack has been incredible. It's definitely the best part of the game thus far.

« Reply #3007 on: July 26, 2014, 05:18:05 pm »
How far into Earthbound are you?  Like what town are you in, how many characters, etc?

I've spent about an hour in Twoson.

abe

« Reply #3008 on: July 26, 2014, 05:46:05 pm »
How far into Earthbound are you?  Like what town are you in, how many characters, etc?

You haven't even gotten to some of the weirdest/most interesting parts of the game. (I'm assuming you haven't left to go rescue Paula)

« Reply #3009 on: July 26, 2014, 05:48:04 pm »

You haven't even gotten to some of the weirdest/most interesting parts of the game. (I'm assuming you haven't left to go rescue Paula)

Not yet, but I'm running out of motivation quick :(. As I said, I want to like this game, but the characters and setting aren't enough to keep my interest, at least thus far.

abe

« Reply #3010 on: July 26, 2014, 06:10:23 pm »

Not yet, but I'm running out of motivation quick :(. As I said, I want to like this game, but the characters and setting aren't enough to keep my interest, at least thus far.

Well, it's not everyone's cup of tea I guess.

Bwigdahl

« Reply #3011 on: July 26, 2014, 08:22:55 pm »

If you don't like it, you don't like it. I fell in love with it before I even got through the first town. It seems like it's the kind of game where you should know pretty early on if you'll like it. If you haven't found it interesting by the second town, probably not much will happen that will endear you to it later on.

argyle

« Reply #3012 on: July 27, 2014, 01:22:02 am »

==> Greg

As a matter of fact (and trivia), I believe that this is also the 1st thread of mine to ever be 'stickied'  ;D

...what do I win?  :D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3013 on: July 27, 2014, 07:05:06 am »

==> Greg

...what do I win?  :D

'net cred   ;)

jcalder8

« Reply #3014 on: July 27, 2014, 11:02:52 am »

==> Greg

Congrats Disgaeniac, I will admit that I was wrong! ;D