Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1537546 times)

bobster

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #5055 on: December 11, 2014, 08:40:01 am »
Chrono Cross has more ties with Chrono Trigger than meets the eye. The problem was that the developers had a tendency to reference events in Radical Dreamers a bit too much. That's another one of those games that I wish was released on our side.
Agreed. I remember I had a fan translated ROM back in the day. I'm sure it's still kicking around. I should probably finish that!
Currently Playing: The Witcher

kashell

« Reply #5056 on: December 11, 2014, 08:54:02 am »
Chrono Cross has more ties with Chrono Trigger than meets the eye. The problem was that the developers had a tendency to reference events in Radical Dreamers a bit too much. That's another one of those games that I wish was released on our side.
Agreed. I remember I had a fan translated ROM back in the day. I'm sure it's still kicking around. I should probably finish that!

WH-WHAT?! They have a fanslation somewhere? This is great news!

bobster

« Reply #5057 on: December 11, 2014, 09:10:25 am »

Yup! I'm at work, but I remoted into my computer at home and found the files. Timestamp says from 2004 so it's been around a while. I'm going to play around with it and see if I can't get it working. My old copy of ZSNES doesn't work on my work computer. I'll have to see if a newer version does.

kashell

« Reply #5058 on: December 11, 2014, 09:12:20 am »

Yup! I'm at work, but I remoted into my computer at home and found the files. Timestamp says from 2004 so it's been around a while. I'm going to play around with it and see if I can't get it working. My old copy of ZSNES doesn't work on my work computer. I'll have to see if a newer version does.

Due to my computer ineptitude, I may ask for your help in playing it since I don't know a thing about properly patching and emulating things.

bobster

« Reply #5059 on: December 11, 2014, 09:22:53 am »

Due to my computer ineptitude, I may ask for your help in playing it since I don't know a thing about properly patching and emulating things.
Understood. I'm not sure what the rules are around here, but I think talk of emulating might be prohibited. I know a lot of other forums have rules like that. We'll take this conversation out of the thread. (Please don't hurt me Fox)

tpugmire

« Reply #5060 on: December 11, 2014, 09:44:29 am »
It's not until they are teenagers that graphics start to matter.

I'm 36 years old and I'm still waiting for graphics to matter. Somehow I don't think it's going to happen.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5061 on: December 11, 2014, 10:11:26 am »
It's not until they are teenagers that graphics start to matter.

I'm 36 years old and I'm still waiting for graphics to matter. Somehow I don't think it's going to happen.

It mattered when I was a kid.  When the Super Nintendo came out it looked awesome compared to my NES.  I was excited for the newest and shiniest.  My NES gathered dust in a closet for years.
 When I grew up, I started to not care.  Now I have a WiiU, PS3, PS4, and Xbox 360 hooked up to my 55" HDTV; and I'm in another room playing 25 year old NES games. 

soera

« Reply #5062 on: December 11, 2014, 10:51:18 am »
Understood. I'm not sure what the rules are around here, but I think talk of emulating might be prohibited. I know a lot of other forums have rules like that. We'll take this conversation out of the thread. (Please don't hurt me Fox)

I dont know about the other admin, but I actually prefer to see people on here talking about emulation/modding/etc. Its taboo on the NA forums cause those people are way too concerned about the perceived value of stuff but as for me, I want to know how to do it and what not so that I can play the games I want to at the cost I want to.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5063 on: December 11, 2014, 11:52:22 am »

I dont know about the other admin, but I actually prefer to see people on here talking about emulation/modding/etc. Its taboo on the NA forums cause those people are way too concerned about the perceived value of stuff but as for me, I want to know how to do it and what not so that I can play the games I want to at the cost I want to.

I pretty much agree w/ this.

The way that I see it, there's Two different 'kinds' of "talking about emulation" - depending & varying, mainly, on three things:

- the people involved in the conversation,

- the tone & context of the conversation, and (possibly, the most important one)

- the *motivation* of the conversation.

As a big fan & proponent of taking things on a case-by-case basis, IMO, this site + its current community of 'regulars' & active members...should have no problems discussing such things in both a mature (and "proper") way.

"Proper" meaning (and, getting back to & tying into the previously mentioned tone, context, and motivation), that - I'd say that 99%+ of those members that would be discussing it here, would be discussing it for the *right* reasons, stemming from the *right* motivations.

What I mean is that, there's obviously a world of difference between, say, Bobster-ino giving Kashell a hand to help him get a game, patch, translation, etc up & running, so Kash can play the game vs. some new & unknown user, member, and/or poster here - in their 1st post in our "Introduction" thread - asking for help in learning how he can mass-produce current & recent games by the hundreds...so he can make a living by selling them and, by stealing IP's & profitting at the expense & loss of the game's rightful creators & makers.

tl;dr = one is okay, well-intentioned, and tolerable *BUT* the other one is not >:(
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

bobster

« Reply #5064 on: December 11, 2014, 11:58:53 am »
Welp, I'm glad to hear your guys opinion on this subject (and that I probably won't be banned  :P). When it comes to fan translations, especially of a game that'll never be released in the States, I think they're OK. The people who make these things put a lot of effort into allowing us to experience these games. I can't imagine not having played Mother 3 at this point (thanks again starmen.net!)

kashell

« Reply #5065 on: December 11, 2014, 12:05:44 pm »
Welp, I'm glad to hear your guys opinion on this subject (and that I probably won't be banned  :P). When it comes to fan translations, especially of a game that'll never be released in the States, I think they're OK. The people who make these things put a lot of effort into allowing us to experience these games. I can't imagine not having played Mother 3 at this point (thanks again starmen.net!)

I never thought the talk of emulation was taboo. When people put their time and energy into creating a translation of a game that never got localized, I think they should be praised. As far as I know, folks at dejap and other places like it didn't fanslate things for profit. Instead, they did it so others could play them. I'm so glad they did, too.

desocietas

« Reply #5066 on: December 11, 2014, 01:18:44 pm »
I never thought the talk of emulation was taboo. When people put their time and energy into creating a translation of a game that never got localized, I think they should be praised. As far as I know, folks at dejap and other places like it didn't fanslate things for profit. Instead, they did it so others could play them. I'm so glad they did, too.

I think only certain kinds of talk can be taboo in certain areas.  Like my D-bro  ;)  said, it depends on what's being discussed, how it's being discussed, and the manner in which it's being discussed.  If someone started talking about emulating or pirating ROMs for a game that can be purchased legally, then yeah, maybe we don't want to start dropping links for where to get those items.  I imagine that we don't want to get VGC in trouble or known as a place where people can freely talk about things that might be illegal.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #5067 on: December 11, 2014, 01:37:54 pm »

... it's funny how many people here still don't realize I was... very involved in that hobby.

TL ; DR - Talking about emulation is fine. Talking about playing the games, configuring emulators, how to get things working, etc... is fine. What we don't allow is actual piracy (posting links to games, etc.) so don't worry, it's cool.

Edit: Also doesn't anyone remember my rants against repro carts, telling people to play the games with flash carts? :P
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 01:39:48 pm by foxhack »

bobster

« Reply #5068 on: December 11, 2014, 01:40:49 pm »

... it's funny how many people here still don't realize I was... very involved in that hobby.

TL ; DR - Talking about emulation is fine. Talking about playing the games, configuring emulators, how to get things working, etc... is fine. What we don't allow is actual piracy (posting links to games, etc.) so don't worry, it's cool.
Now that you mention it, I do recall you talking about some of your translation work. I'll certainly use my discretion, but for the time being, we've moved it to PM  :).

kashell

« Reply #5069 on: December 11, 2014, 03:10:43 pm »
Glad that everything on the emulation topic has been clarified.

In other news, I just love listening to video game OSTs at work. Right now I'm going through the Grandia OST and it is such a pleasant little collection of music. That dinner theme is so dang catchy!