Author Topic: Should console accessories be listed as video games?  (Read 2006 times)

Should console accessories be listed as video games?
« on: October 17, 2012, 08:02:14 pm »
I have noticed that if you add a console or accessory to your collection on vgcollect, your videogame collection number goes up. I think there should be a different number for each, as I have a lot of hardware. So much that probably 30 games in my collection are consoles, controllers etc. just a suggestion.

foxhack

Re: Should console accessories be listed as video games?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 09:33:20 pm »
Well we -are- counting items in your collection, not games. ;)

jcalder8

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 09:46:08 pm »
I have gone through the same problem, I now keep a separate tally of just my games on my phone. It is fun every once in awhile to add up just my games to make sure that the number I keep is accurate, normally I'm off by at least 2 or 3.

matt

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 10:17:41 pm »
One of the planned updates is to separate the totals for your collections into games, consoles, etc.

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 10:28:17 pm »
Thanks, It's kind of hard to tell someone how many games I have when everything is added together.

matt

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 10:42:12 pm »
Thanks, It's kind of hard to tell someone how many games I have when everything is added together.

Yeah. I actually added a 'type' field to each category. So behind the scenes it is already kinda doing the math. It's on the list to be updated, just not sure when. Stay tuned.

ko1ru

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 09:04:45 pm »
One of the planned updates is to separate the totals for your collections into games, consoles, etc.

I'm glad the author of this thread asked this question - I was wondering the very same thing.  In fact, I considered deleting all the hardware I added to my collection in order to have a more accurate count of total games.  Glad to hear it's in the pipes.  :)

I do have a question that's of a similar nature:  Is it preferable to list two copies of a game (duplicates) in your collection if you own more than one?  Or would a note stating that you have more than one (eg. x2) suffice?  I'm sure it's up to the user what they prefer, but what method do you guys use?

scott

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 09:29:53 pm »
That's really a personal preference. Some folks here list them in the notes, others like myself list them all separate.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 12:35:31 am »
I would list them in the notes. Duplicates to me are exactly that ... extras ... and not something I want in my number totals. I know one person (I think Foxhack) lists all his doubles in his sale list.

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 12:43:40 am »
I would list them in the notes. Duplicates to me are exactly that ... extras ... and not something I want in my number totals. I know one person (I think Foxhack) lists all his doubles in his sale list.
Yep, I do that, but only for digital games. I don't really sell stuff here, and the majority of my tradelist is at GameTZ. :p

ko1ru

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 09:45:52 am »
Thanks for responding guys.  I'll continue to use notes for my duplicates, although I can see how listing duplicates might be helpful to more hardcore collectors (listing conditions/completion of each particular item).

Cheers!

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 06:45:27 pm »
Just putting my 2 cents in, I agree with ko1ru when he said that he was considering deleting the hardware and et cetera to get an accurate value. Glad to see that things are in the pipeline.