Author Topic: New gaming frontier - Mobile  (Read 1322 times)

New gaming frontier - Mobile
« on: May 29, 2011, 02:45:01 am »
Have you guys discuss about putting games for mobile phones (iPhone, Android) into the database?

I know there's way plenty of games (too much junk) but "traditional" game companies (Capcom, Square, EA etc) we are familiar with are putting out games on the mobile platform.
And Square have been releasing "traditional" games (Chaos Rings) instead of the "casual" fluffs that dominates on the iPhone.

Then again, if we are discussing this, then Facebook games come into mind as well. Though I think it's already a stretch to include mobile games.

tpugmire

Re: New gaming frontier - Mobile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 02:23:48 pm »
I agree.  To me, online and phone games are a completely separate thing.  If it isn't a physical cartridge or disc, or doesn't get played on a video game console, it doesn't belong.  Just my opinion though.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

matt

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:16:57 am »
I actually am fine with the idea of adding iPhone/Android games as long as there is demand. Originally the site was build to handle only physical games but we quickly learned that people wanted XBLA and PSN to be listed as well.

I think our new definition of what can and should be added is whether or not it is actually something you can buy and own. iPhone/Android would fit in here whereas Facebook and other flash games won't.

I'd personally never use these categories but if the demand is there and if we are intending to build a comprehensive database, we might as well add them.

More thoughts?

scott

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 10:36:46 am »
Ya I'm still not sure if we should include mobile games.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

tpugmire

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:47:12 am »
I would say no for now.  If it becomes obvious later on that people are wanting it, we should revisit the idea then.  I feel like we have enough to do filling up the database with the categories we have already, rather than add more.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 01:04:30 pm »
I think we should go for it. It would be nice to add the Final Fantasy releases into the database, for example. Everything will probably be digital before too long, whether we like it or not, and I like the idea of being complete, especially for Final Fantasy.

Final Fantasy is compatible for iPhone, iPad touch, and iPod.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-fantasy/id354972939?mt=8

Do we already have the Mac App Store?

I was browsing for the iPhone before I searched the forums for this post and came across the TI-99. That reminded me of those old calculator games in Basic and Assembly that I used to download. I'm laughing to myself about the thought of adding these to the database. Let's see if the demand comes.

foxhack

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 01:27:10 pm »
Funny considering those calculators were made by the same company as that TI-99. :P

I personally don't object to people adding their cell games to the site. *shrugs*