Author Topic: Game Companies  (Read 2563 times)

Game Companies
« on: October 18, 2012, 01:26:32 am »
So I apologize if this question has already been asked, but what are some of your favorite devlopers and game companies in general?
I'd have to say Konami, love a lot of their games throughout the years contra,castlevania, silent hill, metal gear...
Treasure-always over-the-top action like nothing I've seen before
SNK-Love some of their earlier stuff Ikari Warriors, Time soldiers and of course their fighting games and Metal Slug series
And of Course Nintendo- Never been really let down with any of their stuff love them and their games what more is there to say? I mean they're great

psydswipe

Re: Game Companies
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 06:16:56 am »
Looking back over the last 30 years or so I see I'm not really into a lot of the game series that come out of Japan. I don't think I own many games from the likes of Namco, Capcom, Konami, Nintendo, etc. It also seems every company I liked in the 80s and 90s are now gone or have become too corporate  :P Growing up I was a big Sega fan but now, at least the American branch, is just a boring, by the numbers company. All they seem to do is make Sonic games, re-release old games on every platform, or publish a crappy licensed game. I liked BioWare a lot from the time I got Baldur's Gate on, though now they are owned by one of my favorite companies from about 1985-95 which hasn't worked out to their advantage. EA used to publish great stuff, like the Interplay RPGs Bard's Tale and Wasteland, and they had their own games like One on One and Skate or Die. Dynamix was another great developer until Sierra ruined them and MicroProse also made some great games before being bought by Hasbro (the MicroProse name is still out there but it's a different company).

I know, I'm rambling about the past but the best companies all seem to be from the past  :-\ I guess today Rockstar is usually dependable, and even since Take-Two bought Firaxis, I'd say Firaxis is still good (playing a lot of XCOM lately). Although I'm not a big Alan Wake fan, I like Remedy Entertainment too.

pacpix

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 10:03:55 am »
My favorite company is definitely Nintendo.  I am almost never disappointing with a game they release.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:13:10 am »
Off of the top of my head...

- NIS/NIS America,

- ATLUS,

- Idea Factory,

- Compile-Heart

- Gust, and

- Aksys
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

upondoom

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 11:32:19 am »
I will always love Capcom, they did no wrong for pretty much all of the 90's and a little bit of the 2000's. They contributed a lot to the survival horror genre, though now they're turning it into a joke. They've been really bad the past couple of years with on-disc DLC being their worst offense.

I play da video games and listen to da metalz.

Last.fm

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 01:05:31 pm »
Here's my favorites:

Sega AM6 (Panzer Dragoon Series)
Sega AM8 (Sonic Team)
Treasure
Konami
Working Designs
Level 5

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 01:15:09 pm »
Here's my favorites:

Sega AM6 (Panzer Dragoon Series)
Sega AM8 (Sonic Team)
Treasure
Konami
Working Designs
Level 5

I forgot about Working Designs & Level 5 - I like them, too.

Also, Aruze & midway for the SH games :)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

thecollector0o7

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 03:30:25 pm »
 Being a video game historian if you would call me that. I would have to say Atari/Activision. This would be because as I was building my wife's and my museum I did a lot of research. Atari was created on a foundation of $500 and quickly grew into a multi million dollar company. Then after many flaws and the close but deadly video game crash, the top programmers of atari left to form activision. Not only did activision have Pitfall! the one of the largest selling games for the 2600, But activision is still a strong 3rd party software company today.
 On another note, I love nintendo and with that I love zelda. Nintendo has been around for two hundred years or so making cards, hotels, toys, ect. Now they make video games and hey not only did they bring video games back in north america but they also are the oldest "new gen" company around still going strong. (ill admit, many flaws) but still up there fighting strong. And without Nintendo there would be no Playstation. So thank you Nintendo :p

thecollector0o7

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 03:31:31 pm »
My favorite company is definitely Nintendo.  I am almost never disappointing with a game they release.

Im glad theres someone on my side, I love Nintendo. I cant wait for the WiiU and hopfully a new zelda >_> (wishful thinking)

lordmeatpie

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 04:09:14 pm »
Bethesda, Square, Nintendo and Capcom (in no particular order) are probably my favorites.
Now Playing: Borderlands 2 (PS3) / Crystalis (NES)

https://www.facebook.com/lordmeatpiegrind
The Obnoxious Canadian Acoustic Grinder

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 05:11:08 pm »
Nintendo - You can count on any first party Nintendo to be solid.  Most of my favorites are Nintendo games.

Capcom - In the late 80's to the early 90's they made some awesome games.  Street Fighter, Mega Man, and the Disney games top the lists

Konami - Some of the best console and arcade games in the late 80's and the early 90's.  TMNT, Castlevania, Contra

Now days, it varies by studio or team not by company.   Companies have studios all over the world. 

scott

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 05:26:28 pm »
A few devs/pubs I can think of off the top of my head would be:

Nintendo
Konami
Bethesda
Cave
Atlus
Working Designs
Level 5
Square/Squaresoft/SquareEnix
Treasure

I'm sure there are many more though.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 05:58:49 am »
Found in search and bumped 1/31/2020

I have 3 top favorites for game companies and I will tell you why I like them

1: Maxis: well technically they are no longer around today after being bought up and dumped out by (EA) also known as Electronic Arts. Maxis has made the best games of my childhood, like the early The Sims Series, the early Simcity series, and all of the other sim games that I never played like Sim Ant, Sim Earth, Sim Copter, also others I have played Sim Coaster was a nice game, I forgotten that they went bankrupt and that was the reason why EA took them in, but ultimately stuck in a wrench in some of maxis's great games series. in the end.

2: Activision, I have played a lot of games made by Actvision most of them being Atari 2600 ports on PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2. but I loved Call Of Duty: Finest Hour, on both the PlayStation 2 and Gamecube that was a fantastic game! the music and the setting in the campaign story it was perfect, made both by Activision and Spark Unlimited.. Then there was a couple of my childhood favorites. like the future war simulator called Heavy Gear, with Actvision also Dream Pod 9 Contributed in making that game.

3: (EA) Electronic Arts back in the day: EA used to be the king of quality video games, or at least decent ones in my opinion, but somewhat buggy. I love Beetle Adventure Racing for the Nintendo 64, I adore the EA sports games or at least most of them, but not their modern games. I like what EA used to be. I like the Medal Of Honor series, Battlefield series is also ok in my opinion. Then there are real stinkers like the base game for The Sims 4 in which I only seen pictures of, in which is the worst actually worse then having only the vary first The Sims 1 base game installed. The Sims 4 looks to me like a cell phone game painted as a PC game. this is the end of my post
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 12:17:17 pm »
Atlus
Nis
Bethesda
Capcom
Grasshopper
Square
Working Designs
Nintendo
Treasure
Rare

These are some I usually injoy.

doafan

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 12:23:54 pm »
The ones that made me an addictive to videogames, am talking about Capcom and Konami, even when these two have made a lot of mistakes in the past, both of them still remain as my favorites until this day and not only because they gave me tons of hours of fun when I needed the most also because they created my beloved franchises/characters, when people asked which one of them was my favorite I never answered that question, guess that is something that I'll take to the other life  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy