Author Topic: overrated & underrated games  (Read 4840 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: overrated & underrated games
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 07:46:59 pm »

Overrated: Halo and Halo 2. Fun, but people talk about these games like they revolutionized video games forever when there have been FPS games that had been doing the same thing for years.

Halo did do some stuff different. The biggest thing it added was enemy AI. They were more than mindless drones. They used tactics to try to kill you. Halo was a game changer.

They also opened up the world of online multiplayer gaming for home consoles. Dreamcast did it before, successfully. But the Dreamcast didn't have nearly as large of a fanbase, and it was dead in the water by then.

But more than your point or my own. The reason I love those games so much is the story. It plays-out like a sci-fi blockbuster movie that just keeps you on the edge of your seat, especially Halo 2. Slick graphics, great voice-overs, and stellar soundtrack add to that feeling, too. And I loved in Halo 2 how you saw the story from both Master Chief's and The Arbitur's perspectives.

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 08:54:04 pm »

Overrated: Halo and Halo 2. Fun, but people talk about these games like they revolutionized video games forever when there have been FPS games that had been doing the same thing for years.

Halo did do some stuff different. The biggest thing it added was enemy AI. They were more than mindless drones. They used tactics to try to kill you. Halo was a game changer.

They also opened up the world of online multiplayer gaming for home consoles. Dreamcast did it before, successfully. But the Dreamcast didn't have nearly as large of a fanbase, and it was dead in the water by then.

But more than your point or my own. The reason I love those games so much is the story. It plays-out like a sci-fi blockbuster movie that just keeps you on the edge of your seat, especially Halo 2. Slick graphics, great voice-overs, and stellar soundtrack add to that feeling, too. And I loved in Halo 2 how you saw the story from both Master Chief's and The Arbitur's perspectives.

I liked them both as well, but I failed to see what the big deal was back when they were released. The online was cool, but multiplayer on console FPS games had already been done very well by many other titles before Halo. Again, i am no Halo hater, I just felt underwhelmed by the whole game after hearing friends, media, and everyone else rave about it. Perhaps my expectations were aimed too high.

90snostalga

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 07:07:04 am »
Honestly I'm tired of the whole "over/underrated" thing. I don't really care what games people think are better/ worse than others, or if they are "overrated" or "underrated" for that matter. If someone suggests a game to me, based on the fact that I might like it, I'll listen. Like when everyone here was talking about SMT games and Persona. I checked it out and Persona 3 FES turned out to be a game I really enjoyed. Do I care that everyone else likes/hates it? No, not really.

We talked about this with Earthbound a few months ago. People used to say, "It's so underrated and such a good game. It's unlike anything I've played before". And now people are saying "OMG, the game has a huge price tag and I can't afford it! That game is so overrated." Seriously, it's a load of crap. I really think it has more to do with the game being overpriced than overrated. I've never played it, so I can't base an opinion on it. But I do know eventually I want to own and play it, regardless of if it's supposedly overrated or not.

I also love when people call out games, that are proven to be classics. And since there is a consensus that the game is good or even great, or if a game has gained popularity and become mainstream-ish it's "overrated", just because a lot of people agree on the subject. Or if there is a game that should have received more attention, but didn't because of poor marketing, niche appeal or low print runs they are "underrated". Please.

Overrated and underrated is thrown around so much any more that they don't hold hold any meaning. A lot of people like the SMT games, does that make them overrated? The Game Boy sold MILLIONS and an entire generation has fond memories of playing their video games on the go for the 1st time ever on a GB, does that mean it's Overrated? In that case, since we only have a handful of SHMUPers here, does that mean SHMUPs are underrated? Or since a game is so niche, that it lacks wide appeal, that automatically means it's underrated?

I don't read reviews, watch things like the AVGN or listen to what other people say about a game, until I've actually played it. Because I don't care. I'll buy and play any game that fits in the genres I like, and if I think it's crap afterwards then that's my opinion. Some other dude might think the game is perfect and he's entitled to that opinion.  And if I dig it, and I think people of the same tastes might dig it, I'll suggest it.

But Overrated and Underrated is a tag, like Hardcore Gamer or Casual. It's meaningless.

Well said.   

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2014, 11:47:32 am »

They also opened up the world of online multiplayer gaming for home consoles. Dreamcast did it before, successfully.
Not really, the Xbox really managed to do it world wide, taking a few tips from the CD-i more than the Dreamcast as well.

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 03:45:37 pm »
To me, I would have to say COD Black Ops I and II are way overrated, the story is rather mediocre and well online was the almost the same thing as before except with more 12 year old kids cursing.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2014, 04:39:21 pm »
Every time I read this thread's title, this song plays in my head: