Author Topic: overrated & underrated games  (Read 4865 times)

blipcs76

Re: overrated & underrated games
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 11:05:34 am »
Underrated
Journey To Silius
Easily the best run-and-gun game on the NES after Contra.  And nobody ever discusses this game.

Runner up:
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
One my favorite games on the Wii -- harshly criticized upon release (it has it's faults, I admit), but simply a beautiful, immensely fun and addictive action platformer.

Overrated
Mortal Kombat
Fun for its time due to the novelty, rather than the gameplay.  Most of characters had the same basic moves and all that set them apart was the sprites and special moves.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 01:03:38 pm »
But Overrated and Underrated is a tag, like Hardcore Gamer or Casual. It's meaningless.
Quoted for truth

Re-quoted for being the truthiest kind of truth  8)

This gives me an idea for the other topic...

The "unpopular opinions" one?

So opinions don't matter, and we shouldn't discuss them?

...then why have a forum and discuss games at all?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 01:41:27 pm »

Overrated
Mortal Kombat
Fun for its time due to the novelty, rather than the gameplay.  Most of characters had the same basic moves and all that set them apart was the sprites and special moves.

Yes.

scott

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 02:23:12 pm »

touche.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 11:36:25 am »

touche.
Because we have nothing better to do :D

darko

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 04:09:11 pm »
Scott's post pretty much sums up my personal line of thinking, but I like to cause trouble!

Overrated Genre: The RPG. There are so many RPGs out there that absolutely suck. I get why so many people flock to the genre now - because they felt left out back in they day when their friends were playong racing games, fighting games, sports games, etc. I love RPGs. I'm an only child so, when I wasn't at a friend's house dominating them at Street Fighter or something, I tended to play RPGs because I could fall into the story without needing to have a group of friends around. I tell the story to prove that I totally get the draw, but it's like everyone and their dog puts the whole genre on a pedestal because of a few amazing titles. There are plenty of other genres out there that are just as satisfying to play.

Underrated Genre: Modern Racing Games. Seriously, have you seen Burnout Paradise? It's fun. Even last gen there were a ton of great looking racing games. Need for Speed Underground anyone? One of the best arcade style racers I've ever played. Too many people hate on sports titles and I feel like many people lump racing into the sports genre, or at least dismiss them for similar reasons.

Rant: Nobody should ever bitch and moan about sports games. If a quarter of the people who complain about them actually sat down and played one now and then, the world would be a better place. News flash...some of them are really fun. Just because you're not good at something doesn't mean it's bad.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:39:06 pm by darko »

scott

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 04:36:16 pm »
I actually really like Racing games. NFS: Underground still gets some decent playtime and I loved Burnout 3 and Revenge... I have still not picked up Burnout Paradise, but that's because I only ever see PS3 copies, and I really would prefer a 360 copy.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 05:22:50 pm »
I actually really like Racing games. NFS: Underground still gets some decent playtime and I loved Burnout 3 and Revenge... I have still not picked up Burnout Paradise, but that's because I only ever see PS3 copies, and I really would prefer a 360 copy.

Racing is one of my favorite genres. To be honest, I have always felt a little odd that my two favorite genres are racing and rhythm. If only we could combine them.

I will do a Dreamcast specific post.

Underrated - Chu Chu Rocket

Overrated - Soul Calibur
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

htimreimer

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 06:13:18 pm »
Rant: Nobody should ever bitch and moan about sports games. If a quarter of the people who complain about them actually sat down and played one now and then, the world would be a better place. News flash...some of them are really fun. Just because you're not good at something doesn't mean it's bad.
i don't hate sports game and i think some of them are fun but i do have one problem with the sports genre, most sports franchises don't improve over time, a lot of them are the same game just with a new number, same graphics,music and physics, no improvements or chance taking, just the same game over and over with no reason to buy them

sin2beta

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 02:22:03 am »
i don't hate sports game and i think some of them are fun but i do have one problem with the sports genre, most sports franchises don't improve over time, a lot of them are the same game just with a new number, same graphics,music and physics, no improvements or chance taking, just the same game over and over with no reason to buy them

I would disagree with this. Pick up any sports franchise for 2013 then compare this to 2009. They will have major improvements. Year-to-year tere won't be much. But it does add up after a few years.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

htimreimer

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 04:10:29 am »

I would disagree with this. Pick up any sports franchise for 2013 then compare this to 2009. They will have major improvements. Year-to-year tere won't be much. But it does add up after a few years.
thats why i said most not all sports games, some sports franchises like MLB do take chances & has improve over time and PGA has done the same thing to an extent but then you got franchises like madden who rarely take chances or improve on the previous game

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 12:06:39 am »
Underrated: Zone of the Enders and Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner. Way, way better 3D action game than God of War or Devil May Cry. Hideo Kogima should have made more action games.

Overrated: Halo and Halo 2. Fun, but people talk about these games like they revolutionized video games forever when there have been FPS games that had been doing the same thing for years.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 01:06:47 am »

Overrated: Halo and Halo 2. Fun, but people talk about these games like they revolutionized video games forever when there have been FPS games that had been doing the same thing for years.

Halo did do some stuff different. The biggest thing it added was enemy AI. They were more than mindless drones. They used tactics to try to kill you. Halo was a game changer.

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 02:13:05 am »
Underrated:  Tribes, in it's various iterations.  I love that game.  Huge open worlds, unique weapons. vehicles and equipment, loadouts, and heavily moddable.  I don't understand why it has really never succeeded in all of the attempts to resurrect it.

Overrated: And it pains me to say this: Gran Turismo.  I mean, it was the best selling game on PS3 before GTA V, and if you add Prologue, and the XL edition, probably a better selling game.  It's deep, has loads of playmodes, but really...isn't that fun.  I like it, I've played a ton of it, but I'm not sure what compels me to play it.  And in terms of it being a simulation, the collisions are laughable. 

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 04:17:11 am »
blipcs76 you are awesome! Journey to Silius is one of my favorite games of all time and I agree MK is incredibly overrated especially compared to other fighters at the time...
So i'll make my picks different
Underrated-Duke Nukem Forever... Yes I said it, I enjoyed it. It definitely has it's flaws, the physics puzzles are lame, the difficulty spikes, the graphics, and some of the jokes are lame as well, all that aside though, I did enjoy it, I mean I beat the game because I wanted to, and I had fun with it.
Overrated-Marvel VS Capcom 3, AWFUL, too button-masher friendly, the second one was like that as well but it at least required some skill for competitive play. It seems like Capcom just "dumbed down" the MVC series with each iteration, the first one was a six-button fighter with like 20 fighters but was decently balanced, the second one went to a four button layout with a huge roster and not balanced at all, but the third one is again a four button fighter with one button acting as basically the "I'll beat the game for you" mode... Terrible