Author Topic: Recent Additions to Database  (Read 73186 times)

matt

Re: Recent Additions to Database
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2013, 03:26:32 pm »
I can see both sides of the discussion.

I would personally never use VGC to track my movies as in most cases those would be part of a separate collection and not my games.

My gut is telling me that movies like Wizard, Wreck-it-Ralph, Gamer, Grandma's Boy, etc. don't belong here. While I appreciate any effort at rounding out the section I think we should hold off on any more additions. This'll let us admins try to figure out what we want to do.

The last thing I want is for us to limit what a user can and cannot do but there has to be some more definite guidelines in place.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2013, 03:51:06 pm »
The last thing I want is for us to limit what a user can and cannot do but there has to be some more definite guidelines in place.

The "Matt-in-the-Hat" speaks truth  8)

Another example (for mod/admin/community consideration & discussion) would be something like some of my Blu-Rays that are...oh...for an example: let's say something like my Video-Game Music (awards, performances of video game orchestral pieces, interviews w/ people like Ralph Baer, etc); yeah, there's a *NAME* for this thing that I'm thinking/talking about -but- I just can't think of/remember the name of it at the moment.

*IMO*, I would definitely feel like something like this would be relevant/belong - what do the rest of you all think?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2013, 12:34:05 am »
:o

I will definitely keep an eye out on those guideline updates.

Although...  Last night, before I saw this discussion take place, I did add the "Thousand Arms" soundtrack promo by Atlus.  I will definitely try to hold off on adding my other swag on the database until this situation has been clarified.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

desocietas

« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2013, 01:51:01 am »
I can see both sides of the discussion.

I would personally never use VGC to track my movies as in most cases those would be part of a separate collection and not my games.

Matt brings up a very good point about what we each constitute as being part of our game "collection."  It does get a little tricky when things are related to videogames, and as much as I connect videogames to a film like The Wizard, I wouldn't necessarily shelve it with my videogames but would instead shelve it with my film collection.

We have to remember that if we keep it too open, even if things are directly related to a franchise, the website will then go on to include things like the Mario-themed version of Monopoly and toothbrushes and whatnot.

But who's to say that toothbrushes aren't reasonable additions when plushies are.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the admins decide!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

spac316

« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2013, 06:06:59 am »
Just added "3D Space Harrier" for 3DS eShop.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:45:37 pm by spac316 »

foxhack

« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2013, 11:17:29 am »

Although...  Last night, before I saw this discussion take place, I did add the "Thousand Arms" soundtrack promo by Atlus.  I will definitely try to hold off on adding my other swag on the database until this situation has been clarified.

Music soundtrack promos are completely valid. Pretty much anything that's related to an actual game (promotional tie-in, a magazine, strategy guides and videos, figurines, film adaptation, etc.) is valid.

What we're still not completely 100% sure about are items such as fiction films that are about video games, but aren't tied to games that actually exist (documentaries about videogames are OK.) The aforementioned examples added by burningdoom, for example. The ... CDI, was it? Had a ton of movies released for it and I think we ended up saying that we didn't need to have them in the database either. I also have a few movies on DVD that are videogame related but I wouldn't add them without making sure they're okay first.

We just need to make the guidelines clear.

karyann

« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2013, 12:48:46 pm »
While we're at it, where should the line be for swag items in general? For promotional items, in my opinion, it's logical to have them in the database. But what about licensed but "smaller-scale" products? Like candies, they have their own category (with food), but is it okay to add them all? Or gashapon items, they are in pretty high number. I've added a lot of swag items recently, but I restrained myself too because I didn't want to add too many either.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2013, 01:23:35 pm »

Music soundtrack promos are completely valid. Pretty much anything that's related to an actual game (promotional tie-in, a magazine, strategy guides and videos, figurines, film adaptation, etc.) is valid.

What we're still not completely 100% sure about are items such as fiction films that are about video games, but aren't tied to games that actually exist (documentaries about videogames are OK.) The aforementioned examples added by burningdoom, for example. The ... CDI, was it? Had a ton of movies released for it and I think we ended up saying that we didn't need to have them in the database either. I also have a few movies on DVD that are videogame related but I wouldn't add them without making sure they're okay first.

From the sounds of things, everyone except me pretty much agrees that non-game-specific movies don't belong. So if a majority rules here, I'm obviously out-voted here. I understand how these things work, you guys don't have to worry about me getting upset and sending Anonymous after the website or anything.

Although, I am gonna be sad to see The Wizard go. That movie is just so Nintendo.

foxhack

« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2013, 02:39:29 pm »
From the sounds of things, everyone except me pretty much agrees that non-game-specific movies don't belong. So if a majority rules here, I'm obviously out-voted here. I understand how these things work, you guys don't have to worry about me getting upset and sending Anonymous after the website or anything.

Although, I am gonna be sad to see The Wizard go. That movie is just so Nintendo.
That's the thing.

The Wizard has ties to real, existing games. Whereas Gamer and Grandma's Boy do not.

« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2013, 02:48:28 pm »
Matt brings up a very good point about what we each constitute as being part of our game "collection."  It does get a little tricky when things are related to videogames, and as much as I connect videogames to a film like The Wizard, I wouldn't necessarily shelve it with my videogames but would instead shelve it with my film collection.

We have to remember that if we keep it too open, even if things are directly related to a franchise, the website will then go on to include things like the Mario-themed version of Monopoly and toothbrushes and whatnot.

But who's to say that toothbrushes aren't reasonable additions when plushies are.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the admins decide!

That's more or less how I make the distinction. If it directly relates to the actual contents of a particular game - strategy guides, soundtracks, artbooks, even plushies - then I treat it as part of the overall collection. Anything else is just kind of this standalone other thing, so I wouldn't include toothbrushes or movies.

Honestly though, I think it'd be kind of a meh issue if we could sift out that stuff from search results. For long-running series in particular, things get messy really quickly when you're trying to find a game and scrolling through a huge string of little toys and crap.

« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2013, 03:24:06 pm »
Found this while I was adding a Dreamcast accessory to my wishlist, and my first thought was, "Why the hell is that here???"

http://vgcollect.com/item/43915

foxhack

« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2013, 04:14:21 pm »
Found this while I was adding a Dreamcast accessory to my wishlist, and my first thought was, "Why the hell is that here???"

http://vgcollect.com/item/43915

It's an interactive movie. While it is closer to a "Choose your own adventure" type of book, it's still considered a game.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2013, 02:24:14 am »

I wasn't apologizing for the addition, foxhack, I was apologizing for the timing that I submitted the information on. Prior to knowing that matt posted that we should hold off on additions, I was busy adding my swag for bragging rights.

My gut is telling me that movies like Wizard, Wreck-it-Ralph, Gamer, Grandma's Boy, etc. don't belong here. While I appreciate any effort at rounding out the section I think we should hold off on any more additions. This'll let us admins try to figure out what we want to do.

By the way, I've been itching to submit more swag information and such.  Is the submission suppression over?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:30:26 am by MJMaranan »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2013, 10:46:30 am »
Umm...I realize that this simplifies everything quite a bit -but-

IMO, this seems to be one of those cases where we can be guided & answered by:

If it's unclear & questionable enough that you feel you need to/should ask before submitting something = DON'T submit it (read: it shouldn't be here).  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2013, 05:54:26 pm »
???

My question was that if matt or the other administrators are allowing/approving submissions again.  Here is the quoted post that's been what I've been trying to discuss.

While I appreciate any effort at rounding out the section I think we should hold off on any more additions.