Author Topic: THQ  (Read 1510 times)

theprestige2000

THQ
« on: January 23, 2013, 11:26:19 pm »
So it was announced that THQ has been split up and sold to a number of different companies including Sega, Take Two, Ubisoft, and Koch Media (whom I had not previously heard of).  The only studio that hasn't been bought yet is Vigil which sucks.  Anyone else sad about this?  What is your favorite THQ game?  I've always been a big fan of the Red Faction series myself. 

foxhack

Re: THQ
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:35:33 pm »
Koch Media owns Deep Silver. They published Dead Island.

Bye bye Volition. Such a sad way for a great studio to be killed.

jcalder8

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 11:47:23 pm »
THQ has had problems for a long time so I am not really that sad to see them go. Also I heard that 2K now has the rights to WWE so I'm hopeful for a different engine.

sin2beta

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 12:46:18 am »
Has the information of who purchased what become official yet? If the rumors are true and SEGA bought Relic (wikipedia is now claiming it as fact). I imagine this is only to secure the other half of the warhammer license. From an outside perspective, that seems odd. Especially since sega has been focusing on rereleases and publishing other studios' games. Maybe they actually want to become a little bit more dominant in the west by purchasing a Canadian development house? I'm somewhat puzzled by the acquisition. Warhammer is all that makes sense.

I'll be honest. I love SEGA getting more development teams under their name though. Part of me dies a little when a lot of their focus was just getting x number of game publishing deals.

Hopefully, they do something more with them than Microsoft uses Rare. Gamertag-avatar games anyone?

Also, it sounded like Atari was in the same situation and being sold off.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 01:55:12 am »
Sega got a lot of money from their purchase of The Creative Assembly. Their Total War series is a goldmine. I imagine they want to do the same with Relic (plus possibly get the rights to their Warhammer games.)

psydswipe

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 05:23:33 am »
Has the information of who purchased what become official yet?

The deals are all agreed upon but no money has exchanged hands yet. Most are considering it official though. The letter Jason Rubin sent to employees is posted online. It doesn't sound like they have any offers on Vigil (Darksiders).

To All THQ Employees:
We now have the answers we've been seeking through our financial restructuring and
Chapter 11 case. While much will be written, here are the facts of the bids and auction
that occurred t:

Yesterday morning, we received a competing bid for the operating business,
    along with Clearlake's offer, and numerous offers for separate assets.
    During an auction process that lasted over 22 hours, the final conclusion was
    that the separate-asset bids would net more than a single buyer for the majority
    of the company.
    Shortly, we will, present the results to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, which must
    concur with our assessment.
    The proposed sales of multiple assets is as follows :
    Sega agreed to purchase Relic
    Koch Media agreed to purchase Volition and Metro
    Crytek agreed to purchase Homefront
    Take 2 agreed purchase Evolve and
    Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park

We expect these sales to close this week.
Some assets, including our publishing businesses and Vigil, along with some other
intellectual properties are not included in the sale agreements. They will remain part of
the Chapter 11 case. We will make every effort to find appropriate buyers, if possible.

foxhack

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 10:47:04 am »
I really hate the fact that the franchises were not included. They're going to try to milk as much money from people as possible. What's worse, this means some games will likely sit in limbo instead of going to their proper developers.

scott

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:10:37 am »
Really? That seems stupid to me.

I just hope Relic can continue making the Warhammer40k games. I really liked how they did things with that series.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 12:03:05 pm »
Really? That seems stupid to me.
No, that's the THQ way.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 12:52:56 pm »
red faction was fun but i think my fave is evil dead fistful of boomstick

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 09:41:20 am »
No more Saint's Row...  :'(

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 09:59:51 am »
I really enjoyed Titan's Quest and xpac back in the day.