Author Topic: February 2013 - Recently Added to Collection/ Recently Purchased  (Read 25109 times)

scott

Re: February 2013 - Recently Added to Collection/ Recently Purchased
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2013, 12:35:47 pm »
Lastly I picked this up:

I was rather surprised when I saw it since I've never seen one in person before. Does anyone know the make and model of it?
It's untested but for $20 I figured I'd take a gamble on it :D

I think that's a Calico...?  You should probably get it tested, though ;)

Tested for? Awesomeness at DDR?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2013, 12:47:07 pm »
Picked this guy up tonight:

I certainly don't need it.  But you know how it is.  I *needed* it.

Question now is do I play it on my original 3DS (that my boyfriend gave me) or switch everything to this sweet new thang?

Edit: I just noticed the lazy reflection effect on the box. *shakes head*

Game "Pre-Installed". Forgive me for my ignorance, because I don't own a 3DS. But you can install games like XBox 360 on 3DS? And does that mean you didn't get a physical copy of the game in that box?

Considering there's like no load times compared to discs, what's the point of installing games on 3DS?

scott

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2013, 12:48:47 pm »
It means there is no cart or other packaging for the game. So the game is loaded directly into memory, like if you bought a game on XBLA or Virtual Console.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2013, 12:51:42 pm »
It means there is no cart or other packaging for the game. So the game is loaded directly into memory, like if you bought a game on XBLA or Virtual Console.

Is there a physical version of the game you can buy? Or is this an exclusive to that version of 3DS?

scott

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2013, 12:55:19 pm »
Oh ya the game was released at retail last week. But Nintendo dropped the ball and didn't provide enough copies for demand. So now folks like me and insektmute have been (im)patiently waiting for our pre-orders to finally get filled.

These 3DS bundles just have a digital version of the game already loaded into them. So rather than having the cart shipped in the package, they are doing away with loose carts and going with "pre-installed" games in the system memory. Kinda lame if you ask me.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2013, 01:08:43 pm »
Yep, that's pretty weak.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2013, 01:10:41 pm »
My 3DS came with Mario Kart 7 installed.  No phyical game.  I'll buy one second hand one of these days.

sin2beta

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2013, 04:45:36 pm »
Yep, that's pretty weak.

To be honest, I thought the preinstalled game was pretty sweet on the Master System 2. Come to think of it, I thought 3D was cool on the Master System.

Sega, always 25 years ahead of nintendo. We've got about 10 years before Nintendo handhelds come with a VMU.

But seriously, I kind of like preinstalled games. I especially like hunting retro systems not knowing if it has Alex Kidd or Sonic. And desperately hoping it has Sonic (even though the cart is ~$2). I think it would be neat down the road to find a 3DS with Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, etc. Adds to the hunt.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2013, 06:15:05 pm »
Well. Fire Emblem: Awakening came, no art book though which I pretty lame. Not sure when I'll get around to playing it though. Since I'm pretty invested in Etrian Odyssey at the moment.

desocietas

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2013, 07:27:19 pm »
Well. Fire Emblem: Awakening came, no art book though which I pretty lame. Not sure when I'll get around to playing it though. Since I'm pretty invested in Etrian Odyssey at the moment.

Sucks!  I'm sorry to hear that.  I guess that's what I would be most afraid of with ordering stuff with the "limited supply" bonuses.  If it's all launch copies, I'm down with online retailers.  Otherwise, at least with GS, I can hassle the employees on launch day or hope to rely on the fact that they're familiar with me now.

I'll see if I can manage another booklet from them.  If so, I'll send it your way.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2013, 08:07:09 pm »
Picked this guy up tonight:

I certainly don't need it.  But you know how it is.  I *needed* it.

Question now is do I play it on my original 3DS (that my boyfriend gave me) or switch everything to this sweet new thang?

Edit: I just noticed the lazy reflection effect on the box. *shakes head*

Game "Pre-Installed". Forgive me for my ignorance, because I don't own a 3DS. But you can install games like XBox 360 on 3DS? And does that mean you didn't get a physical copy of the game in that box?

Considering there's like no load times compared to discs, what's the point of installing games on 3DS?

The sad thing is that the Japanese bundle had the same console but *did* include a retail copy of the game in the box.  Best of both worlds for those fans.  Not sure if they got an artbook, but still.

I'm not sure if I'll play the pre-installed version of the game or the retail version (I have that, too).  I get the impression that, to play the pre-installed version, I'll need to do it on the Fire Emblem system.  I could probably transfer it, but it'd be a pain, and I'd feel guilty since my original 3DS was a gift.  This is definitely the issue with pre-installed games.  It wouldn't be an issue at all if it were a retail copy.  I was kind of hoping that the bundle would include some sort of redeemable card/code for the game so that you could choose to download it to that system or to any other system that you prefer (under your account).
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2013, 10:43:34 pm »
Yep, that's pretty weak.

To be honest, I thought the preinstalled game was pretty sweet on the Master System 2. Come to think of it, I thought 3D was cool on the Master System.

Sega, always 25 years ahead of nintendo. We've got about 10 years before Nintendo handhelds come with a VMU.

But seriously, I kind of like preinstalled games. I especially like hunting retro systems not knowing if it has Alex Kidd or Sonic. And desperately hoping it has Sonic (even though the cart is ~$2). I think it would be neat down the road to find a 3DS with Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, etc. Adds to the hunt.

I meant it's weak that they had to wait on games that they pre-ordered. It completely defeats the purpose of pre-ordering if you can't get it on release day.

As for pre-installed games, yeah, that is cool if it's a freebie with the system. But if there is a physical version, I'd much rather get the physical version.

sin2beta

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2013, 10:46:06 pm »
Yep, that's pretty weak.

I meant it's weak that they had to wait on games that they pre-ordered. It completely defeats the purpose of pre-ordering if you can't get it on release day.

As for pre-installed games, yeah, that is cool if it's a freebie with the system. But if there is a physical version, I'd much rather get the physical version.

I see what you were saying now.  :)
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

insektmute

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2013, 04:57:50 pm »
Two more for me, with Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana [PS2] and Magna Carta 2 [360] on the Way. Ooh, and Fire Emblem: Awakening finally shipped :)

jcalder8

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2013, 06:04:11 pm »
Picked up Fifa Street for the 360 for $12 today, I hope that it is as good as street 2 since I didn't really like Street 3.