Author Topic: The 3rd Skylander game is already being announced.  (Read 2171 times)

soera

scott

Re: The 3rd Skylander game is already being announced.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 07:19:36 pm »
Saw that. They really want to drive it into the ground, like they did w/ Rock Band & Guitar Hero huh?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 07:23:38 pm »
That's how Activision works. Milk to death as fast as possible and go to the next thing. Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, Call of Duty (which sadly hasn't died yet) and now Skylanders.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 07:24:54 pm »
This is the next-generation of Pokémon. Instead of the games begetting the card game, they just skipped a step and made the figurine collecting a part of the game. I'm sure it will keep kiddies addicted for a while.

soera

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:26:58 pm »
Thats the problem. My kid is addicted. Im totally burned out on Skylanders atm. But Im sure by the time this new one comes out, it will start all over again.

darko

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 07:34:33 pm »
OMG...
More Skylanders.

htimreimer

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 12:47:50 am »
That's how Activision works. Milk to death as fast as possible and go to the next thing. Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, Call of Duty (which sadly hasn't died yet) and now Skylanders.
and this strategy gonna hurt or kill activision one day because people are gonna get sick of the same game for the 20th time
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:49:31 am by htimreimer »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 12:51:40 am »
and this strategy gonna hurt or kill activision one day because people are gonna get sick of the same game for the 20th time

They know when to drop a fad, too, it seems. Look at Guitar Hero.

htimreimer

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 12:56:59 am »

They know when to drop a fad, too, it seems. Look at Guitar Hero.
you would think that but look at call of duty and how there is new cod is coming out this year and in 2014 and there is rumors of a cod mmo and cod action/adventure game in development

darko

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 09:08:11 am »
you would think that but look at call of duty and how there is new cod is coming out this year and in 2014 and there is rumors of a cod mmo and cod action/adventure game in development

Have you seen the sales figures of the CoD games? Millions and millions of dollars a year coming out of a franchise doesn't typically lead to said franchise's death.

scott

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 10:27:08 am »
I think, so far, the only thing I've seen nearly kill a fps franchise was being stuck in an era. At one point you couldn't toss a pebble without hitting a WWII fps game. And people got tired of them. So they changed it up.

jobocan

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 06:32:12 pm »
I wouldn't call CoD (past 4) "changing it up". They took their standard WW2 shooter and changed the textures on the guns to make them look modern... and that's about it.

In my mind "changing it up" would be... like Bulletstorm, where most of the weapons are completely unique, it added a lot of mechanics and there's more to the gameplay than "center screen on what you want dead and press a button".

ffxik

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 02:23:09 am »
I think, so far, the only thing I've seen nearly kill a fps franchise was being stuck in an era. At one point you couldn't toss a pebble without hitting a WWII fps game. And people got tired of them. So they changed it up.

Yup.  Modern Warfare changed the games, and then it's been stuck in that era ever since.

htimreimer

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 03:35:11 am »
I wouldn't call CoD (past 4) "changing it up". They took their standard WW2 shooter and changed the textures on the guns to make them look modern... and that's about it.

In my mind "changing it up" would be... like Bulletstorm, where most of the weapons are completely unique, it added a lot of mechanics and there's more to the gameplay than "center screen on what you want dead and press a button".
i have to agree with you jobocan, thats pretty much all they did with cod series and like WW2 shooter people are gonna get sick of it

scott

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 08:33:13 am »

Well I was mostly talking about Military FPS games. Personally, the game that made military FPS games feel fresh was Rainbow Six Vegas and Vegas 2. But I agree w/ ffxik. Now they seem to be stuck in "Modern Era" games and it's become more of the same again.