Author Topic: Search problem  (Read 1066 times)

tripredacus

Search problem
« on: February 07, 2013, 07:14:19 pm »
It appears impossible to search for this game using the search or advanced search:
http://vgcollect.com/item/16817

I imagine it is because you currently are filtering out the apostrophe. I will add the barcode for it so others can find it if they have it boxed.

tpugmire

Re: Search problem
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 07:24:42 pm »
The search engine is quite picky, I'm afraid. There is an overhaul planned, but no ETA on it yet. Generally speaking, what I do when I'm looking for a game in the database is go to the "Browse" tab and find it that way.  It's my version of a workaround.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

jcalder8

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:14:52 am »
The search engine is quite picky, I'm afraid. There is an overhaul planned, but no ETA on it yet. Generally speaking, what I do when I'm looking for a game in the database is go to the "Browse" tab and find it that way.  It's my version of a workaround.
I have also searched for the word after the apostrophe so for NFL '95 I would try searching just for 95 and look that way.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 08:26:27 pm »
I have also searched for the word after the apostrophe so for NFL '95 I would try searching just for 95 and look that way.

Maybe there is something up because I can't find partial matches like that. For example, If I type

Code: [Select]
sonic genesis
into the search field, I get no results. Is that normal?

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 11:56:40 pm »
Yeah, that's normal. The platform isn't taken into consideration in the search box, only the title. If you want to search by platform, you have to use the advanced search.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 08:36:10 pm »
WHich reminds me, what is the purpose of adding the part number if you can't actually search for it?

jcalder8

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 10:47:23 pm »
WHich reminds me, what is the purpose of adding the part number if you can't actually search for it?
I am guessing that it is a feature that could be added down the road so why not start tracking right at the start.

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 02:24:26 pm »
People can search for that part number via Google or somesuch. ;)