Author Topic: Run and Gun Recommendation Thread  (Read 4240 times)

scott

Re: Run and Gun Recommendation Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 09:19:28 am »
Arcade

Smash T.V.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

insektmute

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 11:41:07 am »
GBA- CT Special Forces both 1 and 2 awesome run n guns that look a lot like Metal Slug, released on the Playstation as well,only in Europe though.
Wii-Contra Rebirth
PS1-ONE
SNES-Sunset Riders
If we're doing top down as well...
NES-Commando, Ikari Warriors
Genesis-Mercs, Calibur .50
Arcade-Gunforce 2, Gun. Smoke

Got 'em all on there, but put Ikari Warriors under Neo-Geo, since AES/MVS are basically interchangeable.

Also, how the hell have I not played GunForce 2??? It looks kind of awesome!

foxhack

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 12:39:30 pm »
PlayStation 2
- Metal Slug Anthology
NO.

Only buy this if you like load times, slowed down gameplay, and delayed button presses.

TERMINAL REALITY SUCKS. Though the arcade version of 6 is okay in that disc.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 12:45:19 pm »
PlayStation 2
- Metal Slug Anthology
NO.

Only buy this if you like load times, slowed down gameplay, and delayed button presses.

TERMINAL REALITY SUCKS. Though the arcade version of 6 is okay in that disc.

I own the game, and it works fine. I love the collection. I suppose if you have a Neo-Geo MVS or AES, then those would be the ideal versions. But not all of us have that.

foxhack

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 12:48:09 pm »
I own the game, and it works fine. I love the collection. I suppose if you have a Neo-Geo MVS or AES, then those would be the ideal versions. But not all of us have that.
I don't own an AES, I played the games in arcades when I was younger, and the minute I started playing the disc after buying it I was all "the hell is this crap"? :\

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 12:52:06 pm »
The different models of PS2s run different games differently sometimes. Think that might be the issue here?

For example: My brother owns the original "fat" model PS2 and his copy of Namco Museum 50th Anniversary runs perfectly for him, but on my PS2 slim it resets everytime you start up one of games from the selection menu (and the disc has virtually no scratches). Champions: Return to Arms also is known to give certain models some issues.

I admit, there's some slowdown here and there. But it's not crippling the gameplay or freezing up the game, and I don't run into it often. And I've never found an issue with the controls.

foxhack

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 01:07:46 pm »
The different models of PS2s run different games differently sometimes. Think that might be the issue here?

For example: My brother owns the original "fat" model PS2 and his copy of Namco Museum 50th Anniversary runs perfectly for him, but on my PS2 slim it resets everytime you start up one of games from the selection menu (and the disc has virtually no scratches). Champions: Return to Arms also is known to give certain models some issues.

I admit, there's some slowdown here and there. But it's not crippling the gameplay or freezing up the game, and I don't run into it often. And I've never found an issue with the controls.
I thought that might be the case, but I also own SNK Arcade Classics and KOF Orochi Saga (US version)... which have similar issues. :\

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 01:14:12 pm »

I thought that might be the case, but I also own SNK Arcade Classics and KOF Orochi Saga (US version)... which have similar issues. :\

Oh man, I like the SNK Arcade Classics compilation even more! I play it A LOT! It's the next best thing to actually owning a Neo Geo AES.

insektmute

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 01:20:42 pm »

I've read quite a few reports that the PS2 and Wii versions of MSA are jacked, and I'm inclined to believe it. SNK's ports are an extremely mixed bag, with some being just utterly piss-poor (every port of Last Blade ever, Orochi Saga, NESTS Collection, SNK Arcade Classics, etc), and a lot of the US versions are censored or missing features. They even removed 480p support for the US releases of King of Fighters XI and NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, which is just mind boggling.

It gets even muddier with ports that are technically inferior, but offer cool bonuses or Neo-Geo CD quality sound. Real Bout Garou Densetsu: Dominated Mind on PS1 is like this - missing frames of animation, but decently playable, and has a cool Blue Mary music video and redbook audio.

I've actually been thinking of starting a thread where we sort out arcade port quality, since I have a mountain of notes on this stuff, but haven't had enough free time to dig into it. Most gamers don't seem to particularly care either, so I'm torn on whether it'd really be a worthwhile effort.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:23:38 pm by insektmute »

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 03:23:58 pm »
Owning Metal Slug 5 on the AES  I can definatley say that the compilation, at least for wii, is not that bad, I mean the loading times suck, the controlls are meh and it's missing some frames of animation, I also think the wii version took out part of a level. But that aside they're still fun and playable. I'd recommend them. But all the ports I've ever played of KOF just suck

insektmute

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 03:52:15 pm »
Owning Metal Slug 5 on the AES  I can definatley say that the compilation, at least for wii, is not that bad, I mean the loading times suck, the controlls are meh and it's missing some frames of animation, I also think the wii version took out part of a level. But that aside they're still fun and playable. I'd recommend them. But all the ports I've ever played of KOF just suck

I guess that's the thing, though. Missing frames are a huge problem, and since you can usually turn to MAME or something if you just want something relatively playable, the expectation for ports is that you're getting as close to arcade perfect as possible.

There are some good KOF ports though, particularly the Saturn version of '95, and 2002/2003, XI, '94 Re-Bout, '98 Ultimate Match, 2002 Unlimited Match on PS2. You're basically OK as long as you avoid any of the KOF ports on PS1 and Dreamcast, and the Orochi and NESTS collections on PS2.

I could seriously go on about which ports are good/bad, how they differ, etc. for a long time, but I'll stop here, since this isn't a thread about SNK :p

foxhack

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 03:58:11 pm »
and the Orochi and NESTS collections on PS2.
... what. The G1M2 developed Japanese releases?

insektmute

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 04:00:51 pm »
and the Orochi and NESTS collections on PS2.
... what. The G1M2 developed Japanese releases?

Yerp. Both notoriously screwy, if I recall - I'm at work right now, so I can't check my notes for why, but I'll see if I can dig around for a quick answer if you want specifics.

Edit: Specifics, just from a quick search around...

NESTS Collection - No AES intros, nasty sprite flicker (worse than Orochi), weird brightness and contrast problems, graphics appear to be slightly upscaled, etc.

Orochi Collection - '94 has weird lag and voice glitches, muffled audio, sprite flicker, etc.

There's some other stuff I've run across previously, but it took me hours of digging to get a cohesive idea of each one, and a lot of this stuff is highly subjective. Personally, I can deal with *some* sprite flicker, but audio issues, missing frames, and lag are inexcusable, and if the flicker is too constant, it drives me nuts. Some people complain about the 2002/2003 port too, claiming the backgrounds are recolored and blurred, while I think it's fantastic, so your mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:21:45 pm by insektmute »

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 01:35:06 am »
Ha also check out Cyber-Lip on the AES, since this is a thread about run n gun =)

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 02:34:46 am »
Ha also check out Cyber-Lip on the AES, since this is a thread about run n gun =)

I s that game really good? I almost bought it like a month ago and talked myself out of it.
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.