Author Topic: Bad PS4  (Read 5678 times)

htimreimer

sin2beta

Re: Bad PS4
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:20:23 am »
here is two bad things about the ps4 and if there is anything else bad about the ps4 please say

you cant use your dualshock 3 controller on the ps4 even though the dualshock 3 controller uses bluetooth

you can not play PS3/PSN games on the ps4 but you can rebuy and stream them from playstation cloud

The controller does not bother me. I expected this. I don't think it is bad. But a technical issue with creating new technology. Shoehorning old tech in sometimes is not the best option. A clean slate can be good.

The PSN news is unfortunate. I recognize it is a different platform and some conversion (man hours) must be done. If it is discounted like Nintendo does, I find that reasonable.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 11:35:59 am »
here is two bad things about the ps4 and if there is anything else bad about the ps4 please say

you cant use your dualshock 3 controller on the ps4 even though the dualshock 3 controller uses bluetooth

you can not play PS3/PSN games on the ps4 but you can rebuy and stream them from playstation cloud

The controller does not bother me. I expected this. I don't think it is bad. But a technical issue with creating new technology. Shoehorning old tech in sometimes is not the best option. A clean slate can be good.

The PSN news is unfortunate. I recognize it is a different platform and some conversion (man hours) must be done. If it is discounted like Nintendo does, I find that reasonable.

The controller thing does bother me, bluetooth is a standard.  Unless the new controllers use freakin laser beams to communicate with the PS4 then the only reason to prevent them from working is make us buy new controllers for the sake of making more money.  Oh there's a "Share" button now instead of "PS" button on the controller... that's 10 seconds worth of coding.  It's like having to buy a new mouse and keyboard every time you get a new PC, or owning an iPhone lol.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:38:08 am by varkias »

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 11:44:11 am »
What sin2beta said. I suspect part of the reason for a lack of DS3 support is that since PS3 games aren't playable, it's just creating extra overhead for developers for a feature that really has no purpose - the system, presumably, comes with at least one controller, soo...?

The only reason I can think of to gripe about it is that PS3 arcade sticks won't be usable, which is kind of a bummer for people like me that already have three of them laying around for different systems. They take up a lot more space than you'd think :p

As for PSN games, I'm reading a lot of very mixed info, partially because many sites are referring to an interview where Sony talks about how they'll be streaming older games, but since "older" isn't explicitly defined, a lot of gaming sites seem to be assuming that PS3 games are part of that plan. I'm not really worried about it, though - they still provide DLC, patches, and all sorts of good stuff for PSP games, and it's reasonable to assume they'll take a similar approach with the PS3.

I mean, you're talking about a company that only recently discontinued the PS2, which is remarkable (and awesome) considering how long ago it came out.

htimreimer

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 11:52:42 am »
@varkias i agree, the dualshock 4 controllers are using the eye camera like move controller but i dont see gaming headset and other accessories using the eye camera which makes me think there is bluetooth/USB built it,so that brings me to my question, why cant i use my old controllers other then to make more money
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:54:30 am by htimreimer »

psydswipe

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 12:38:58 pm »
That's the way tech goes. While I'd love to always be able to carry one system's controller to the next, I doubt that will happen very often. Some of the supposed accurate reports/rumors is that the Xbox 360 wireless controller won't work on the next Xbox system. The new one supposedly uses a better wireless tech that is incompatible with the old. They only said wireless so I don't know about the wired controllers, and I do use one of those. Companies always want you to buy accessories since they don't make much if anything off of the console.

Remember the early Sony days, you'd need a stack of memory cards (15 blocks each unless you trusted third-party mega crap cards) and a multiplayer adapter if you wanted more than two people to play at the same time. At least with wireless they can't force multiplayer adapters anymore, I don't think. Of course those date back to the 16-bit days too. The Dreamcast, GameCube and Xbox all had four ports but the PS2 still only had two. Some of the PS one accessories were compatible with the PS2 though so that was nice. While you could get by with early Dual Shocks, some PS2 game features only worked on the newer gamepads (I'm thinking ones that required analog button presses).

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 12:40:13 pm »
I wonder if SixAxis features in the DS3, and the way rumble is implemented, might be the issue. Something tells me the motion control implementation works very differently, and there have been vague comments about rumble being 'improved' somehow.

sin2beta

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 01:09:53 pm »
@varkias i agree, the dualshock 4 controllers are using the eye camera like move controller but i dont see gaming headset and other accessories using the eye camera which makes me think there is bluetooth/USB built it,so that brings me to my question, why cant i use my old controllers other then to make more money

You guys do realize that USB and Bluetooth are a connection method only. Just because something is USB does not mean that it works on anything with USB.

Buy any camera with USB and see if it works on a Sun Workstation. Even Linux and Mac for many cases. Drivers have to be made. These are not really trivial... especially if moving to a different OS. PS3 and PS4 are 7 years apart there are a lot of changes at the OS level. I'd rather Sony spend their time on new stuff than trying to fit in controller compatibility that no one (very few) will use in a year. Sure it would be nice. But this uses up development time that could be used for other things. Especially squashing launch day bugs.

Even the purely physical controllers had compatibility issues. You can use a Genesis controller in a master system. But good luck on Alien Syndrome. It's not compatible even though it is all physical with the same sockets and VERY similar system architecture.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 01:20:44 pm »
^ this x10000. I figure I'd done enough lecturing this week about the PS4 CPU, so I'm glad somebody said it :p

soera

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 03:34:17 pm »
Im not seeing much "bad" with the PS4. Sure the controller changed but its not that much different that it wouldnt be a total swap over for me unlike every Nintendo system since the begining of time. The options arent really interesting to me (I dont use wifi so the share button is pointless and I cant see a use for the touch screen ... yet).

I will backup the usb thing. Skylanders on PS3 when it first come out was wireless and while that may sound cool, it drains batteries faster than a fat girl with a new vibrator. I hated it. I wanted to be like the Xbox people with the wired portal. Even though its the same item and the same game, it simply would not do anything. I wish that it did work that way but it doesnt. :(

The downside I see to the PS4 right now is the lack of good stuff on launch. Sequels of crap games that I dont play now. Its the same reason Im still not interested in the WiiU. Diablo 3 is the only thing Im looking at right now that would interest me but its available on PC right now so its not *that* much of a selling point. When they get some exclusive stuff out there in my genre of interest, Ill be closer to checking one out.

scott

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 03:46:36 pm »
I'm surprised anyone would be "upset" that they can't use a PS3 control on a PS4. The only time I was like "wtf, I can't use a X on Y" was when the PS2 came out and we tried to use our extra Dual Shocks to play 4 player and it wouldn't work. I was pissed then, but it's old new. You can't use controllers cross platform, big flipping deal.

The PSN thing on the other hand I would be totally pissed about. If it was like the 360 and I had 60 some PSN games and found out that they weren't playable on my new shiny system I'd be livid. And this is why I don't believe in digital, you're at the mercy of the companies to allow you to keep "your stuff".
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 03:54:48 pm »
And this is why I don't believe in digital, you're at the mercy of the companies to allow you to keep "your stuff".

Exactly why if I do buy anything digitally, I restrict myself to stuff that's only available that way, and go at it from the perspective that I may not be able to redownload it at some point. I'll even buy EU versions just to side-step being required to do a 12GB+ download that I can't migrate or sell.

ffxik

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 03:57:48 pm »
All digital content and games are designed to play on the PS3s cell processor.  The PS4 ditches this for a more common and easy to program for processor.  Which destroys all backwards compatibility.

For you digital only folks have fun buying them all again.  Or just keep your PS3 :p

soera

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 04:43:00 pm »
The only thing I have digital on my PS3 is the Marvel pinball game cause, as far as I know, it was the only way to get it. If there is a physical copy, I havent seen one yet.

Backwards compatible is something I wish they had added ... but I dont plan to get rid of any of my PS systems anyhow so its not that big of a concern other than space.

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 06:00:30 pm »

You guys do realize that USB and Bluetooth are a connection method only. Just because something is USB does not mean that it works on anything with USB.

Buy any camera with USB and see if it works on a Sun Workstation. Even Linux and Mac for many cases. Drivers have to be made. These are not really trivial... especially if moving to a different OS. PS3 and PS4 are 7 years apart there are a lot of changes at the OS level. I'd rather Sony spend their time on new stuff than trying to fit in controller compatibility that no one (very few) will use in a year. Sure it would be nice. But this uses up development time that could be used for other things. Especially squashing launch day bugs.

Even the purely physical controllers had compatibility issues. You can use a Genesis controller in a master system. But good luck on Alien Syndrome. It's not compatible even though it is all physical with the same sockets and VERY similar system architecture.

I have an excellent understanding of these technologies, I've been an engineer for 13 years now.  That PS3 Bluetooth controller works wonderfully with my Laptop and Nexus 7 tablet.  If i was willing to root my phone it would work there as well.  Guess what tech the PS Move uses?  Bluetooth! and it was announced that it WILL work with the PS4.  For the most part USB is compatible across different operating systems, it's the file systems that are not which is why FAT32 is still widely used.  This isn't 1990 where each new system was using proprietary controller ports.  Sony chose to use the Bluetooth technology standard on both the PS3 and PS4 but is disabling the use of PS3 controllers on their upcoming system.  My point is, there is no good reason for doing so.