Author Topic: Always-On DRM  (Read 4169 times)

insektmute

Re: Always-On DRM
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 01:47:24 pm »
They all suck! :p

scott

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 02:18:13 pm »
So?   :D
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

insektmute

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 03:03:05 pm »
I'll buy them all if you buy me a copy of Batsugun :D

scott

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 03:36:40 pm »
Hmm, lemme see... I'd have to buy 2 copies of Batsugan...

insektmute

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 04:08:01 pm »
So... about $160. It's a value!

scott

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 04:31:38 pm »
And if you act now, we'll throw in this fancy dancy amazing fry slicer/onion chopper/orange peeler! Yours free*!

*Just pay separate shipping and handling. Fancy dancy amazing fry slicer/onion chopper/orange peeler is not guaranteed to work as described, no hold up to abuse.

insektmute

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 05:45:18 pm »
The sad part is, I'd probably jump on a Batsugun-themed onion chopper.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 05:56:32 pm »
Always on DRM is a great thing, it's not like it's actually preventing the people who are online from actually playing the game...

I DON'T WANT THIS TO BE THE FUTURE!!!

htimreimer

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 12:44:21 am »
one reason i hate the DRM is that it treats the paying customer like a criminal, as if ea and other game developers are saying "we cant trust the customer, so lets put a leash on them", this does not make me want to buy the game but instead it makes want to pirate the game, so i can crack it and disable the online stuff, trust is important and i cant trust a company that doesn't trust me.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:46:23 am by htimreimer »

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 06:23:32 am »
This space for rent.  Affordable rates.  Inquire within.

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 02:16:10 pm »
I'm done buying games like this to tell them I wont take it anymore, and it really pisses me off that I have to have internet or their say-so to play things I own.

NO. I'm Done, now they can just not have money until they figure stuff out.

Honestly, EA'sgonna hurt after the simcity fiasco. most of those people are done too.

karyann

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 09:16:00 pm »
As a game collector, the part I hate the most about always-on DRM is for, well, collecting purposes. What about when I want to play the game and the company no longer supports it? Part of the fun in collecting is to play the games even decades after their release. I totally agree with what's already been said, but the worse deal-breaker for me is this.

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 11:06:26 pm »
one reason i hate the DRM is that it treats the paying customer like a criminal, as if ea and other game developers are saying "we cant trust the customer, so lets put a leash on them"

This is my problem with it as well. I'm not against unobtrusive checks (I've never had an authentication/usage problem with Steam, for example), but the assumption that I'm a criminal the instant I'm unable to connect to their servers and the knowledge that pirates will have an easier time playing than I do is insulting.

htimreimer

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 01:46:51 am »
one reason i hate the DRM is that it treats the paying customer like a criminal, as if ea and other game developers are saying "we cant trust the customer, so lets put a leash on them"

This is my problem with it as well. I'm not against unobtrusive checks (I've never had an authentication/usage problem with Steam, for example), but the assumption that I'm a criminal the instant I'm unable to connect to their servers and the knowledge that pirates will have an easier time playing than I do is insulting.
it is insulting and it will get people to pirate the game, then ea will complain about it, not realizing that its there fault and even when they get there servers in order, it will still suck, look at most mmo's and the problems they have
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 04:35:27 am by htimreimer »

insektmute

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 01:36:20 pm »

Curiously, the ONE time I had a problem with Steam was related to EA. I bought the PS3 version of Portal 2 direct from them when it was on sale, since it included a free digital copy of the PC version. When I went to authorize it on Steam, it kicked back that the code was already in use, so I had to take pictures of my receipt, the code, and the game itself to prove that it was legit.

Steam support made it quick and painless to get everything working correctly, but since EA apparently can't even keep physical copies in their own store from being pirated, it's kind of amusing to think they consider DRM to be a viable solution.