Author Topic: Recently completed/finished  (Read 188334 times)

bobster

Re: Recently completed/finished
« Reply #225 on: April 26, 2014, 02:32:30 pm »
I just finished Donkey Kong Country 2 with 102%! That last lost lands level kicked my ass for a good amount of time.

Not sure what to play now... Not sure if I want to jump into a long RPG just yet.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

90snostalga

« Reply #226 on: April 26, 2014, 02:45:10 pm »
The first one is kicking my but

bobster

« Reply #227 on: April 26, 2014, 03:01:16 pm »
The first one can be pretty hard too. I didn't 101% that one though.

90snostalga

« Reply #228 on: April 26, 2014, 03:15:25 pm »

Is there a bonus section or something?  How does it go past 100?

bobster

« Reply #229 on: April 26, 2014, 06:19:26 pm »

It's just something they do. The first one is 101%, the second is 102% and the 3rd is 103%. It just means you did everything lol.

pacpix

« Reply #230 on: April 26, 2014, 08:11:41 pm »

It's just something they do. The first one is 101%, the second is 102% and the 3rd is 103%. It just means you did everything lol.
The first game overall is way easier, unless you go for the 101%.  Unlike the sequels you never know if you found all of the bonus rooms, some levels may have five, others only one and you never know which.  I played with a guide to find the secrets. Donkey Kong Country 2 is just mean as far as difficulty goes, but it is easy to tell if you have found all of the bonus rooms, although I never did my finish my 102% run.  I think the perfect balance was with Donkey Kong Country 3 and it is by far my favorite. You can also go for 104% and 105% in DKC 3 with cheat codes to make the game harder.  DKCR and DKCTF are excellent games as well, but something feels off with the new games where I don't really want to find everything.  That and the fact that it would always be in the back of my mind that I can never fully complete it till I get not the gold, but the extremely difficult to obtain shiny gold time trial medals!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

Bwigdahl

« Reply #231 on: April 26, 2014, 08:36:07 pm »

The first game overall is way easier, unless you go for the 101%.  Unlike the sequels you never know if you found all of the bonus rooms, some levels may have five, others only one and you never know which.  I played with a guide to find the secrets. Donkey Kong Country 2 is just mean as far as difficulty goes, but it is easy to tell if you have found all of the bonus rooms, although I never did my finish my 102% run.  I think the perfect balance was with Donkey Kong Country 3 and it is by far my favorite. You can also go for 104% and 105% in DKC 3 with cheat codes to make the game harder.  DKCR and DKCTF are excellent games as well, but something feels off with the new games where I don't really want to find everything.  That and the fact that it would always be in the back of my mind that I can never fully complete it till I get not the gold, but the extremely difficult to obtain shiny gold time trial medals!

The way to tell if you got all the rooms in a level is that the name of the level will have an "!" next to it... There is one secret area that is a bitch though. It's in Oil Drum Alley. There are multiple rooms within the original room and you have to successfully complete each room to continue (although in the first room it has the barrels that rotate between a single banana, a bunch and a 1up and you HAVE to get all single bananas to advance). And you only get one chance. If you mess it up, you can never get back to it and it ruins your completion %. I do happen to have a file with 101% in under 2 hours. DKC1 and 2 are my two favorite games on SNES but I've yet to fully complete 2.

pacpix

« Reply #232 on: April 26, 2014, 10:34:44 pm »

The way to tell if you got all the rooms in a level is that the name of the level will have an "!" next to it... There is one secret area that is a bitch though. It's in Oil Drum Alley. There are multiple rooms within the original room and you have to successfully complete each room to continue (although in the first room it has the barrels that rotate between a single banana, a bunch and a 1up and you HAVE to get all single bananas to advance). And you only get one chance. If you mess it up, you can never get back to it and it ruins your completion %. I do happen to have a file with 101% in under 2 hours. DKC1 and 2 are my two favorite games on SNES but I've yet to fully complete 2.

Huh I guess you are right, I thought they did not have the exclamation point until DKC2. 
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

scott

« Reply #233 on: April 26, 2014, 11:35:15 pm »
As much as I loved the DKC games, I found DKC 2 to be the hardest of the 3. There is one level I remember in DKC2 where you had to jump up a vertical shaft on the snake buddy. And the acid/water was filling so fast that one minor mistake and you're toast.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

Bwigdahl

« Reply #234 on: April 27, 2014, 11:09:15 am »
As much as I loved the DKC games, I found DKC 2 to be the hardest of the 3. There is one level I remember in DKC2 where you had to jump up a vertical shaft on the snake buddy. And the acid/water was filling so fast that one minor mistake and you're toast.

I love that level! Worst level in the fucking game was Screech's Sprint. It's the level right before the K. Rool battle. You have to race a bird around brambles and you have to get 1st to continue. I dread playing it every time I pop DKC2 in.

bobster

« Reply #235 on: April 27, 2014, 09:07:39 pm »

Yeah that one was crappy! It's called toxic tower. I remember it distinctly having just played it.

I love that level! Worst level in the fucking game was Screech's Sprint. It's the level right before the K. Rool battle. You have to race a bird around brambles and you have to get 1st to continue. I dread playing it every time I pop DKC2 in.
That race was a pain in the ass.

90snostalga

« Reply #236 on: April 30, 2014, 02:39:30 pm »
Finally finished Donkey Kong Country! 

Just a self update for me so I can remember the games completed this year:

1.  Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2)
2.  Resident Evil 2 (Dreamcast)
3.  Shenmue 2  (Xbox)
4.  Super Mario Bros. (NES)
5.  Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
6.  Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
7.  Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #237 on: May 01, 2014, 10:32:27 pm »
finished the story mode of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle with 75% of the trophies

argyle

« Reply #238 on: May 01, 2014, 11:09:52 pm »
finished the story mode of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle with 75% of the trophies

Wow - does that mean this is a fighting game that doesn't have most of its trophies in the online mode?
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

foxhack

« Reply #239 on: May 02, 2014, 12:43:11 am »
Judging from the PSN list, this doesn't have ANY multiplayer trophies - just story related ones and others that ask you to do a specific move on a character.