Author Topic: Recently completed/finished  (Read 188321 times)

bobster

Re: Recently completed/finished
« Reply #255 on: May 12, 2014, 09:17:04 am »
My girlfriend and I just played through Castlevania II: Simon's Quest using a game genie. That game would be super frustrating without the game genie, or me having seen the Angry Video Game Nerd videos and knowing about kneeling with the crystals at the right spots.

I was stuck at the part where you had to kneel at certain point in front of a cliff for years on end! Luckily my grandma sent me a Nintendo Power that told me what to do in box of NES stuff (she was a gamer, so she'd send me her stuff when she was done with it back then). Otherwise I'd never have beaten it. I really liked the game except for that part, too. Loved the RPG elements added.
The game was totally not helpful at giving you hints on what to do. I did find an interesting article about the differences between the Japanese version and the US version. Here's the link if you're interested. Apparently the Japanese translation isn't much better.

http://legendsoflocalization.com/avgn/castlevania-ii/
Currently Playing: The Witcher

« Reply #256 on: May 13, 2014, 11:27:17 am »
I finished Assassin's Creed 3, Much better than Revelations was. Batman: Arkham Asylum is next

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #257 on: May 15, 2014, 02:08:24 am »
I've been on a Castlevania kick lately. The Metroidvania ones, specifically.

I just recently completed Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance. I almost beat Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (I can't beat the final battle of Death & Dracula at the same time). And I'm now working on Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

I take back the Portrait of Ruin comment. I beat the final battle against Dracula and Death together today when I took another stab at it!

And now Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow is beaten. :)

argyle

« Reply #258 on: May 15, 2014, 09:12:57 am »
Finished Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge last night.

Don't play that game.  Seriously.  It's horrible.  Non-stop insane stream of enemies to the point where I could only play a level or so at a time towards the end because my hand would cramp.  Horrible game balance - impossible on normal, you literally can't die unless you fall in a pit or fail a QTE on easy.  Oh, and QTE's with no button prompts at all.  Story that would embarrass Syfy.  Just off the top of my head I'd suggest DMC, Revengeance, Lords of Shadow or a ton of other similar games over this train wreck. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #259 on: May 15, 2014, 09:14:23 am »

Don't play that game.  Seriously.  It's horrible.  Non-stop insane stream of enemies to the point where I could only play a level or so at a time towards the end because my hand would cramp.  Horrible game balance - impossible on normal, you literally can't die unless you fall in a pit or fail a QTE on easy.  Oh, and QTE's with no button prompts at all.  Story that would embarrass Syfy.  Just off the top of my head I'd suggest DMC, Revengeance, Lords of Shadow or a ton of other similar games over this train wreck.

So... You didn't like it?  :o

argyle

« Reply #260 on: May 15, 2014, 09:45:54 am »

So... You didn't like it?  :o

Eh...I could take it or leave it.  :P
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

foxhack

« Reply #261 on: May 18, 2014, 08:59:13 pm »
I beat Strider (2014) today with 26 of 30 achievements. It's a really fun game, but beating it only took me six hours. I would've taken a lot less but I went around collecting stuff.

I also technically beat Batman Arhkam City GOTY today - I finished all the Batman / Catwoman side missions and Riddler things, except for Calendar Man (a year still hasn't passed since I got the game) and Augmented Reality Training (SERIOUSLY, FUCK THE ADVANCED AR TESTS.) I still gotta do Harley's Revenge and all those annoying challenges to get all the achievements... ugh.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:01:20 pm by foxhack »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #262 on: May 18, 2014, 09:14:07 pm »
I finished Assassins Creed IV today. Such a good game. It's my favorite of the series.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2014, 09:22:52 pm »
Finished Ducktales and Ducktales 2 for nes today.

My son would not leave me alone until I did. Recorded the runs on my DVR for a review we'll be releasing at some point.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #264 on: May 18, 2014, 09:27:20 pm »
I've been on a Castlevania kick lately. The Metroidvania ones, specifically.

I just recently completed Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance. I almost beat Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (I can't beat the final battle of Death & Dracula at the same time). And I'm now working on Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

I take back the Portrait of Ruin comment. I beat the final battle against Dracula and Death together today when I took another stab at it!

And now Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow is beaten. :)

Nice! I love me some Metriod and Castlevania.

argyle

« Reply #265 on: May 19, 2014, 03:48:06 am »
I beat Strider (2014) today with 26 of 30 achievements. It's a really fun game, but beating it only took me six hours. I would've taken a lot less but I went around collecting stuff.

I also technically beat Batman Arhkam City GOTY today - I finished all the Batman / Catwoman side missions and Riddler things, except for Calendar Man (a year still hasn't passed since I got the game) and Augmented Reality Training (SERIOUSLY, FUCK THE ADVANCED AR TESTS.) I still gotta do Harley's Revenge and all those annoying challenges to get all the achievements... ugh.

Yeah I love the Arkham games but those challenges are ridiculous - only things keeping me from getting the plat in those games.  I figured it was either just forget about the rest of the trophies or end up hating the games because I slogged through those things. 

I still need to do the Harley stuff myself tho.  And you can always manipulate the system clock to get the Calendar Man stuff.  ;)

foxhack

« Reply #266 on: May 19, 2014, 02:21:04 pm »
I still need to do the Harley stuff myself tho.  And you can always manipulate the system clock to get the Calendar Man stuff.  ;)

Not if I want to be labeled a cheater here.

Hey, I'm ranked #3 in my country, I'm close to overtaking #2. There's no way I'll reach #1 though. :P

foxhack

« Reply #267 on: May 22, 2014, 12:13:55 am »
And done. 100% completion in 17 hours.

« Reply #268 on: May 22, 2014, 08:14:14 pm »
Beat Wolfenstein. It's pretty fun and has some good ideas for replayability after a 10 hour main run.  Basically in the first level, based on the choice you make, you can play through the game by collecting health upgrades, or shield upgrades, depending on who you chose.  So when you beat the game with the one choice, you can go back and do the second choice and get the upgrade set you didn't get the first time, so buy the end of the 2nd run, you'll have double health and shields.  That choice also means you have an entirely different character to interact with throughout the story.  Haven't experienced that yet, but it will be pretty cool when I get to that point as the characters are pretty memorable.

Also there are enigma codes to find that you then decipher once you have a full line of them unlocked.  Completing these gets you new game modes to play the game with.  The first one I have unlocked which is 999 mode.  999 Health, unlimited ammo, and it's on the hardest difficulty.  Not sure of the rest yet.

I like how they did the choice idea as it not only gives you a separate character throughout the entire game instead of the other, you even get a different lock pick option this time around.  With one character, you hotwire things and with the other, you lock pick things which is a different mechanic.  Kinda cool.

Also, a fun little bonus easter egg you can find in the game is that you'll play a version of the first level of the original Wolfenstein lol
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:25:57 pm by kamikazekeeg »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #269 on: May 23, 2014, 07:18:52 am »
I couldn't sleep this morning. So, I played through Mega Man 2.

Does it count if I've finished a game dozens of times?