Author Topic: Recently completed/finished  (Read 188321 times)

argyle

Re: Recently completed/finished
« Reply #330 on: June 12, 2014, 02:19:10 pm »
I *knew* that sounded familiar!

SH1&2 = amazing!   ;D

*Truth*

I know it gets a shitty rap -but- I had fun with SH3, too.

*Really* got to get around to playing the prequel to SH1 (Koudelka) one of these days...

I'll admit that I didn't play that much of SH3, because the change in tone/setting up front was off-putting.  Wouldn't mind giving it another shot one day, but it's one of the ones I have to add back to my collection first.  ;)

And I never got around to playing Koudelka either - kept saying I would, didn't happen. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

foxhack

« Reply #331 on: June 13, 2014, 07:28:54 pm »
Just 100%ed Murdered: Soul Suspect (PC) after speedrunning a new game to get the collectibles I missed in my original playthrough. Yaaaaaaaay.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #332 on: June 14, 2014, 08:06:53 am »

SH1&2 = amazing!   ;D

*Truth*

*Really* got to get around to playing the prequel to SH1 (Koudelka) one of these days...

I'll admit that I didn't play that much of SH3, because the change in tone/setting up front was off-putting.  Wouldn't mind giving it another shot one day, but it's one of the ones I have to add back to my collection first.  ;)

And I never got around to playing Koudelka either - kept saying I would, didn't happen.

Yeah, I think that SH3 is to the SH series what FFX-2 is to the FF series.

"That, girly, Japanese-y/J-Pop-ish, scantily dressed girls + "Jiggle" effect tech-demo" game

-BUT-

I think that those 2 games also have the best/deepest combat systems than ANY other games in their respective series; but, what draws more clicks for a review site: tits or combat?!

That said, I'm also not a fan of SH3's change in tone/atmosphere either...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #333 on: June 15, 2014, 07:38:48 pm »

SH1&2 = amazing!   ;D

*Truth*

Yeah, I think that SH3 is to the SH series what FFX-2 is to the FF series.

"That, girly, Japanese-y/J-Pop-ish, scantily dressed girls + "Jiggle" effect tech-demo" game

-BUT-

I think that those 2 games also have the best/deepest combat systems than ANY other games in their respective series; but, what draws more clicks for a review site: tits or combat?!

That said, I'm also not a fan of SH3's change in tone/atmosphere either...

I'll definitely give it a shot again one day, when I finally come across it again.  :P  And for the record, I love FFX-2.  ;) 

I think the story arc was just SO GOOD in the first 2 SH games that I missed having any of those characters.  Assuming you play both games then the ending to SH2 probably has one of the best "pay-offs" of any game ending I've seen.   ;D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #334 on: June 18, 2014, 12:50:42 am »
Games beaten this year:
-Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
-Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
-Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS)
-Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (XBox Live Arcade) (I beat both games: Tower of Doom & Shadow of Mystara)
-The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds (3DS)
-Mega Man Legends (PS1) - Beat Again
-New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
-Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
-WWE 2K14 (XBox 360)
-Spyro: Year of the Dragon (PS1)

-King's Field II (PS1) (King's Field III outside the U.S.)

For like the 20th time. I love this series far too much. And this one is my personal favorite entry in the series. I seem to discover something knew with each play-through, too, that I didn't see before. There's so many secrets in the game it's insane!

This time I found that after you place Orladin's skull on top of his skeleton on the throne in order to unlock the door to the Dragon Tree. After you go through the door, listen to the Dragon Tree, and retrieve your Icharus Armor; instead of teleporting out like you normally would, if you go back out of the chamber and go up to Orladin's skeleton, you can actually talk to him!

pacpix

« Reply #335 on: June 18, 2014, 12:56:01 am »
Which King's Field game would you recommend for someone new to the series?  It looks very interesting.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #336 on: June 18, 2014, 12:59:06 am »
Which King's Field game would you recommend for someone new to the series?  It looks very interesting.

That's a tough recommendation, to tell the truth. It's VERY early PS1, like practically a launch title. And it's a VERY ambitious title, as well. So as a result, it has a slow, plodding gameplay that turns a lot of people off.

If you have patience, and don't mind a steep learning curve, then there's a lot of pay-off in the game, though. A large game to explore with virtually zero load-times (other than the initial load, of course), and soooo many secrets to uncover.

I'd start with the first game, King's Field. That is, the first game released in the U.S. (It's actually the 2nd game in Japan.) But unless you know Japanese, it can be pretty hard to play an RPG, even an action-RPG, in Japanese.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 09:28:02 pm by burningdoom »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #337 on: June 18, 2014, 08:17:01 am »

That's a tough recommendation, to tell the truth. It's VERY early PS1, like practically a launch title. And it's a VERY ambitious title, as well. So as a result, it has a slow, plodding gameplay that turns a lot of people off.

If you have patience, and don't mind a steep learning curve, then there's a lot of pay-off in the game, though. A large game to explore with virtually zero load-times (other than the initial load, of course), and soooo many secrets to uncover.

I'd start with the first game, King's Field. That is, the first game released in the U.S. (It's actually the 2nd game in Japan.) But unless you know Japanese, it can be pretty hard to play an RPG, even and action-RPG in Japanese.

Why not The Ancient City as an entry point?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #338 on: June 18, 2014, 11:59:00 am »

I'd start with the first game, King's Field. That is, the first game released in the U.S. (It's actually the 2nd game in Japan.) But unless you know Japanese, it can be pretty hard to play an RPG, even and action-RPG in Japanese.

No reason he couldn't, as it's a stand-alone story; it just makes more sense to me to take the series from the beginning and see how it progresses.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #339 on: June 18, 2014, 12:09:16 pm »

No reason he couldn't, as it's a stand-alone story; it just makes more sense to me to take the series from the beginning and see how it progresses.

Are all of the stories stand-alone?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #340 on: June 18, 2014, 01:17:14 pm »

Are all of the stories stand-alone?

King's Field II (#3 outside the U.S.) is connected to what happened in the original King's Field (KF II outside the U.S.) and the original Japanese KF. Although it's not like it's necessary to play the first two games first to understand what's going.

Hell, you can go through the entire game not having a clue what's happening if you don't pay attention to dialogue and environment clues.

pacpix

« Reply #341 on: June 18, 2014, 06:20:43 pm »

Thanks!  I don't mind a steep learning curve and the gameplay I have seen of it looks very cool.  I will have to pick up a copy sometime soon.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #342 on: June 21, 2014, 03:05:03 pm »
Just 100%ed Murdered: Soul Suspect (PC) after speedrunning a new game to get the collectibles I missed in my original playthrough. Yaaaaaaaay.

How was it? I've been considering getting it but don't really want to pay full price. The concept seems interesting though.

Just finished Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #343 on: June 21, 2014, 04:06:54 pm »

How was it? I've been considering getting it but don't really want to pay full price. The concept seems interesting though.

Don't know very much about the concept...is it something like the concept from Ghost Trick?

« Reply #344 on: June 21, 2014, 05:41:31 pm »

Don't know very much about the concept...is it something like the concept from Ghost Trick?

yeah, I think it's pretty much the same concept