Author Topic: NES AV Fix?  (Read 2510 times)

NES AV Fix?
« on: March 31, 2013, 10:40:45 pm »
I think my NES has a short in it's AV port.  :-\
It won't show a picture or play sound unless I gently pull the cables forward.
It works perfectly fine after I do that.
It isn't the cables, because I tried a few different sets with the same results.
Can anyone help me through a repair if I decide to pull this bad boy apart?
My soldering skills aren't too great, but I think I have a basic understanding of how it works.
It's one of the original toaster models by the way.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I make music.
I'm really cool, you should tell your friends about me :P

https://soundcloud.com/torvez

ffxik

Re: NES AV Fix?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 12:22:12 am »
Getting to the AV components is a pain in these things.

When you take that thing apart you're going to notice a flat silver box (shielding)  mounted in the upper right corner.  (As if the front of the console were facing you).  Your going to need to de-solder that to get to the AV components inside.  So you will need to completely tear down to the main board.  It's fairly straight forward.  All you need is a #2 philips screwdriver for the entire thing.  Once the the main board is out flip it over and on the reverse side under the shielding you will notice some rather large globs of solder.  You will need to remove this.  If you do not have a de-solder iron or at least solder wick I wouldn't even try.  They piled it on and it is a time consuming pain in the butt to remove it with just the iron.

Outside that if you get in check the AV mounts for cracked solder joints.  Or it could be they are going bad and need to be replaced.  It sounds like a loose connection though.

Sorry I'm not much help in the area.  I have trouble if it isn't setting right in front of me.  :(
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:37:18 am by ffxik »

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 01:48:56 am »
Thanks for the reply, ffxik!
I do not have a de-soldering iron, but I am going to be picking one up soon with a kit.
I might give it a go after I do some solder/ de-solder practice on some of my circuit bending projects.
But I really don't want to mess it up, because I love that thing.
I may just let it get to the point where I can't see any picture or hear sound and then do it, because all hope is gone then.
I really do appreciate the help and suggestions!
More helpful than any youtube video or instructable I came across (I'm kinda lazy though, lol)
I will let everyone know before I decide to do it though.
Thanks again!
I make music.

ffxik

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 03:18:42 am »
You're very welcome. :)

Luckily the older hardware is easier to work with when it comes to soldering.  One thing I would like to address though.  When you begin to put it all back together again.  Notice the zero force insertion cradle has a lip on the bottom in the front.   Make sure that is under the main board or else when you put the screws back in it will force the front forward screwing up the latch system.  You would not believe how many of these I see. 

I've been meaning to put out some tutorials but I have been either a. too busy or b. When I have free time. I'm just not motivated to do it.  :-[

Anywhoozle.  I am going to wish you the best with this, and definitely keep us posted.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:22:11 am by ffxik »

ffxik

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 03:54:11 am »
Getting to the AV components is a pain in these things.

When you take that thing apart you're going to notice a flat silver box (shielding)  mounted in the upper right corner.  (As if the front of the console were facing you).  Your going to need to de-solder that to get to the AV components inside.  So you will need to completely tear down to the main board.  It's fairly straight forward.  All you need is a #2 philips screwdriver for the entire thing.  Once the the main board is out flip it over and on the reverse side under the shielding you will notice some rather large globs of solder.  You will need to remove this.  If you do not have a de-solder iron or at least solder wick I wouldn't even try.  They piled it on and it is a time consuming pain in the butt to remove it with just the iron.

Outside that if you get in check the AV mounts for cracked solder joints.  Or it could be they are going bad and need to be replaced.  It sounds like a loose connection though.

Sorry I'm not much help in the area.  I have trouble if it isn't setting right in front of me.  :(

Do me a favor disregard that statement in bold.  That is direction for removing the A/V assembly from the mainboard.   :-[  I know heck of a time to catch that one.  >:(

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:27:01 am »
No sweat! I haven't touched it yet! I got my RF adapter to work, and that is fine for now. I might end up getting another one when I can get a deal. Thanks!
I make music.