Author Topic: Atlus might be in trouble!  (Read 4168 times)

soera

Re: Atlus might be in trouble!
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 12:32:13 pm »
I think I called the Sega purchase somewhere. Could be pretty interesting. We will see!

htimreimer

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 12:44:38 pm »
So, SEGA bought Atlus, huh?
I heard that they bought them for 14 million yen (not sure what that converts to in dollars).
sega got them for 20 billion yen (around $201,740,000.00 USD) and sega had the highest bid for atlus

both j trust (a japanese financial services firm) and nintndo had bids for atlus among 17 other companies
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:00:03 pm by htimreimer »

brunauss

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 01:23:33 pm »
NOW... willl Sega do right by the loyal developers of Tex Murphy and not screw up with the marketing? Hopefully not. For the record, Fox has valid points with Nintendo's behavior with owned studios. I am thankful that Metroid and Bayonetta has been left alone in this respect.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

sin2beta

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 12:39:00 am »
I think I called the Sega purchase somewhere. Could be pretty interesting. We will see!

I figured they would win once they put their hat in the ring. SEGA doesn't seem to fool around when they show interest in buying someone. They will overpay rather than not purchase. This is my favorite purchase so far of theirs.

Now, as much as it hurts me to say this, I think this will be bad for ATLUS fans. I've been covering SEGA news for a site and following the company for years. Generally, they hate localizing Japanese games in the Western market. PSO2 just isn't coming. Yakuza seems to have stopped coming over. This is a major shame because Yakuza is the best thing SEGA has done since going third party. And even announced a year ago that the only thing that would come to the West are Sonic, Football Manager, and Total War. They've back tracked on this a little bit. However, I think the sales of Project X Zone and Hatsune Miku will make SEGA conservative in the West again. Despite everything. SEGA is still a different company in the East and in the West. I fear ATLUS is a purchase for SEGA of Japan. Not SEGA of America or SEGA of Europe.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013, 08:41:43 am »

I figured they would win once they put their hat in the ring. SEGA doesn't seem to fool around when they show interest in buying someone. They will overpay rather than not purchase. This is my favorite purchase so far of theirs.

Now, as much as it hurts me to say this, I think this will be bad for ATLUS fans. I've been covering SEGA news for a site and following the company for years. Generally, they hate localizing Japanese games in the Western market. PSO2 just isn't coming. Yakuza seems to have stopped coming over. This is a major shame because Yakuza is the best thing SEGA has done since going third party. And even announced a year ago that the only thing that would come to the West are Sonic, Football Manager, and Total War. They've back tracked on this a little bit. However, I think the sales of Project X Zone and Hatsune Miku will make SEGA conservative in the West again. Despite everything. SEGA is still a different company in the East and in the West. I fear ATLUS is a purchase for SEGA of Japan. Not SEGA of America or SEGA of Europe.

Truth.

Look how they dropped (their own) ball with the Valkyria Chronicles series...for those who don't know:

- the 1st was an awesome, sleeper hit, slowly building a huge & (almost) rabid fan base,

- the 2nd was handheld-only, and

- the 3rd never made it out of Japan.

Nice way to capitalize on a success, there, Sega  :-\
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

htimreimer

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2013, 02:35:40 pm »

I fear ATLUS is a purchase for SEGA of Japan. Not SEGA of America or SEGA of Europe.
it was sega dream corporation that acquired atlus and all operations of index corp
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:38:28 pm by htimreimer »