Author Topic: Question for you tech-savvy members -  (Read 2452 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Question for you tech-savvy members -
« on: April 26, 2013, 09:04:17 am »
So, my 1st question is related to the possibility/impossibility of doing what the PSP does with a DSi-XL, 3DS-XL, and/or a GBC.

What I'm referring to is:  is there a way to go into the handhelds & connect/mod something so you can output your display to an HDTV?

My 2nd question is:  Can anything be done with/to a PSP 3000 that would allow me to use a ps3's controller (to control everything) while it's displaying on the HDTV?

I'm kinda' feeling bittersweet about all of the great rpg's coming out that are handheld exclusives -and- if I could somehow view & control them differently...I'd be a lot happier & more excited to play the games!

Thanks for any help/answers :)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

Re: Question for you tech-savvy members -
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:28:01 am »
Well, with the Game Boy Color, you can use a Game Boy Player on a GameCube and play it with a GameCube controller on a HDTV. I'm pretty sure you can get a GC and a Game Boy Player pretty reasonably.

As for the DSi XL and 3DS XL... I'm not sure if anyone has come up with a way to make that work. Considering the need for touch screen controls on a lot of those games.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 09:34:43 am »
Well, with the Game Boy Color, you can use a Game Boy Player on a GameCube and play it with a GameCube controller on a HDTV. I'm pretty sure you can get a GC and a Game Boy Player pretty reasonably.

As for the DSi XL and 3DS XL... I'm not sure if anyone has come up with a way to make that work. Considering the need for touch screen controls on a lot of those games.

Thanks, Scott

I didn't know about that Gameboy player -but- since it sounds like it does *Exactly* what I want it to...I'll be looking into it :)

Not only that, I already have a GC and a (relatively small -but- I think, decent quality) collection of games for both (the GC & the GBC:)

Do ALL Gameboy players work with ALL Gamecubes?

Any thoughts about being able to use a ps3 controller to control PSP games being displayed on a tv?

scott

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 09:43:19 am »
I've got a fairly good sized collection of GB, GBC, GBA games and I've never had a compatibility issue with my Game Boy Player. So I don't think one exists.  Just make sure that if you are looking for the Player, that it comes with the Start Up disc. You need that in the tray to launch the software that handles the emulation.

As for the PSP, I don't know. I have the Composite cable for my PSP, but I'm not sure how running a PS3 controller in lieu of the PSP buttons would even work?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 09:50:47 am »
Yeah - I was hoping that since the DS (Dualshock) & PSP have/use the same kind of buttons & d-pad...

...oh well  >:(

soera

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 10:21:38 am »
Gameboy players will play any of the GB games. Original, color, and GBA. Since its an actual Nintendo made product, compatibility is 100%. Definitely make sure you have the disk as the the player is around $10 and the disk is about $30. Also for the people who prefer the awesomeness of the SNES - http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=31. You could pair that with : http://vgcollect.com/item/23149 and have a one handed option for all your GB player games.

As far as I know about the PSP, there should be a cable that allows you to plug it into the TV and use the system as a controller. I think this is it : http://www.playstationcollecting.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=81&threadid=98358. I do not think there is a way to plug a controller into it.

The 3DS/DS does not even have the cable option the PSP does. But I imagine in the future a lot of the good games will either a)be remade on a console or b)eventually be able to be reproduced onto some sort of console. If they can put the good console games on handheld, I really dont see why the opposite cant be done.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 10:49:01 am »
Thanks, Soera - that's very helpful!

Agree 100% w/ your last paragraph, too  8)

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 10:50:43 am »
There is a way to output a 3DS on a bigger screen, but it's not cheap and not exactly what you're looking for - http://3dscapture.com/

But I thought it'd be better to know than not :)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 10:53:12 am »
There is a way to output a 3DS on a bigger screen, but it's not cheap and not exactly what you're looking for - http://3dscapture.com/

But I thought it'd be better to know than not :)

Thanks for that link.

Price aside, though...I'd have to buy a 'regular' 3DS since it wouldn't work with my XL.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 11:02:17 am »
I know :/

Like I said, I just thought it'd be better you knew there was something like what you were after than keep quiet - the chap might release an XL variant in the future after all :)

soera

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 11:09:59 am »
That 3DS capture thing is pretty neat but damn, its almost $450 (may be that or higher with shipping). Its a cool concept though.

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 11:14:42 am »
 The 3DS capture is pretty neat. I first saw it used on the farfromsubtle playthroughs on youtube. It seems to work pretty well.

Unfortunately the dual screens will probably make it to where Nintendo does not make an official/cheap adapter. I just don't see an official product only displaying the top screen. Getting both screens on a television would be clunky and not that great.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 12:19:16 pm »
The 3DS capture is pretty neat. I first saw it used on the farfromsubtle playthroughs on youtube. It seems to work pretty well.

Unfortunately the dual screens will probably make it to where Nintendo does not make an official/cheap adapter. I just don't see an official product only displaying the top screen. Getting both screens on a television would be clunky and not that great.

the Wii U says hi

Honestly that's one thing I'm hoping they announce an adapter so you could plays 3DS/DS games on the Wii U
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:21:00 pm by redblaze57 »

sin2beta

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 12:24:56 pm »

the Wii U says hi

Honestly that's one thing I'm hoping they announce an adapter so you could plays 3DS/DS games on the Wii U

Good point! I always forget about the Wii U.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 12:00:50 pm »
Instead of starting another new topic for it here (since it is *MY* "Tech-thread", already:) - I figured/decided that I'd just ask you guys about some more/new "tech-related" questions that have recently come up for me...

- How difficult is it to get a NA PS2-Slim to be able to play JP-only games/discs on it? - (keep in mind that I'm only working w/ one hand, here)

- What are good (and safe) prices (and places, I guess) if I decided to buy a JP PS2 (I guess, give me what you think are decent New & Used prices -unless- they can't be bought new any more)?

- Does anyone here have, know anything about, and/or played a JP-only, Dungeon-Crawler, RPG (by Racjin) called:

Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative neo?

It's the sequel to one of my favorite PS2 games of all-time, called : "Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land"!

Thanks for any & all help, answers, and info :)