Author Topic: Problems  (Read 2272 times)

ffxik

Problems
« on: May 02, 2013, 04:07:31 am »
This isn't a technical issue as much as it is an issue with a certain regular poster in this particular forum.  I have gone through an have been re-reading quite a few posts here.  Even though this person is trying to help. Some of the errors in their way of thinking and doing things is just, wrong. 

The member I am referring to in this case is none other than myself. 

I am going to be honest here and say I have no actual training in electronics repair.  What knowledge I have gained is literally from trial and error.  Mainly dis-assembly and observation of my own consoles, even the rarer ones have been dissected and their guts analyzed.

It's because of this that I am still learning my way around common problems.  Some not so difficult and others a headache and a half.  I have noticed that everyone here loves to help and I like putting minds together to find a solution to a problem.  However.  If I say something stupid.  Let me know about it please.  I look at corrections in this case as a learning experience. 

And thanks to slothingXPIG I have a lot of broken consoles now to just experiment with without having to worry about compromising the functionality of my own hardware.   By the way I am not much for modding.  I am more of a restore and repair guy.   :-\

Re: Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 04:44:01 am »
no problem. Did you get the last batch? Tracking says Memphis tennesse??? don't know what that's about maybe a error or maybe a half way mark or something. yeah i'm not much for modding either. i'm more of a swap parts guy lol. hope it comes along for ya man, and ya make a beast of a machine......But if not all those chip boards and and ribbons and disk drives would look good for decoration ;) looking at the glass half full.
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

htimreimer

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 04:50:52 am »
don't worry about saying/doing something stupid on this site, i have done so much stupid on this site from my bad grammar to udderly retarded replies and topics that will continue because i'm am idiot.

now i think about it, i'm thankful that this site has been understanding of my problems and has forgiven me for being stupid
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:04:41 am by htimreimer »

ffxik

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 06:53:23 am »
no problem. Did you get the last batch? Tracking says Memphis tennesse??? don't know what that's about maybe a error or maybe a half way mark or something. yeah i'm not much for modding either. i'm more of a swap parts guy lol. hope it comes along for ya man, and ya make a beast of a machine......But if not all those chip boards and and ribbons and disk drives would look good for decoration ;) looking at the glass half full.

It's not supposed to get here until Saturday.  I'm expecting it Friday though.

I have already taken them apart to just get a glimpse of the insides.  I was surprised by how clean most of them were.  A couple of the Gamecubes are packed full of dust.  One Xbox had more roaches in it than an apartment complex of stoners.  Still I'm very pleased and anxiously awaiting the next bunch.  :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:11:28 am by ffxik »

ffxik

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 07:08:11 am »
don't worry about saying/doing something stupid on this site, i have done so much stupid on this site from my bad grammar to udderly retarded replies and topics that will continue because i'm am idiot.

now i think about it, i'm thankful that this site has been understanding of my problems and has forgiven me for being stupid

True lol We are all guilty of that.  I just don't want any information I give somebody to be wrong.  I am reminded of torvez.  His NES A/V problem.  I got my wires crossed and gave him instructions to remove the A/V booster module instead of just removing the shielding around it.  I just caught it last night.  So hopefully he hasn't tried tinkering with it yet.   :-\

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 06:59:37 pm »

I have already taken them apart to just get a glimpse of the insides.  I was surprised by how clean most of them were.  A couple of the Gamecubes are packed full of dust.  One Xbox had more roaches in it than an apartment complex of stoners.  Still I'm very pleased and anxiously awaiting the next bunch.  :)

one of the Xbox's had roaches???
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

ffxik

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 02:49:00 am »

A few pill bugs too.  Don't worry they were all well past their expiration date.   8)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 04:36:01 am by ffxik »

htimreimer

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 03:44:15 am »

you would be surprised by common it is to find bug's and insects in second hand consoles, my nes and odyssey 2 both had dead spiders in them

ffxik

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 04:33:19 am »

you would be surprised by common it is to find bug's and insects in second hand consoles, my nes and odyssey 2 both had dead spiders in them

Spiders I'm accustomed to.   Especially common house spiders.  Roaches and pill bugs on the other hand, not so much.
The amount was surprising.  I mean this thing was packed full.  Also the shielding is badly rusted.  Meaning it was left out in an storage shed/unit or garage for a good long while.  It powers up though so that means I can get it working properly again fairly easily.  I'll definitely need to re-seat the heat sinks on the processors.  Any thermal compound on them should be completely shot by now.

htimreimer

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 06:26:56 am »

Spiders I'm accustomed to.   Especially common house spiders.  Roaches and pill bugs on the other hand, not so much.
The amount was surprising.  I mean this thing was packed full.  Also the shielding is badly rusted.  Meaning it was left out in an storage shed/unit or garage for a good long while.  It powers up though so that means I can get it working properly again fairly easily.  I'll definitely need to re-seat the heat sinks on the processors.  Any thermal compound on them should be completely shot by now.
i'm not surprise by situation, bug's/insects seem to be the second most common way that consoles die,
number one being old or faulty parts

brunauss

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 04:37:02 pm »
Yeah, we have all done stupid things. I was briefly the bane of duplicate entries AND manage to upload a messed up image file... that is still there after attempting to correct it *sigh*
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

ffxik

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 01:58:56 am »
Sometimes I wonder about some people.

I bought one of these,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Laser-Lens-Drive-KSM-440ADM-for-Sony-Playstation-1-PS1-Black-Free-Shipping-/350571930437?pt=US_Other_Video_Game_Accessories&hash=item519fb72345

To fix one of these,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlayStation-1-Replacment-Gray-Console-NTSC-SCPH-5501-/271202248268?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3f24e9e64c

The Unit was faulty right out of the box.  Made one hell of a grinding plastic on plastic noise when the disc motor started up and the lens wasn't moving for anything.  It couldn't even get the disc up to speed.

So I contacted the individual I bought it from.  Here is a copy/past of the contents of their reply.  Enjoy....   ::)

Thanks for contacting us.

For this issue,we have some suggestions for you below,please have a try first.
It may due to that the anti-static point on the laser haven't been removed.
You'd better use a soldering iron to drag the tip through the solder blob to separate the point(s) or use a disordering braid to suck up the solder.
About the lasers we have given you the steps to remove anti-points,if you have not follow tools to remove the anti-static point which you can see the point on the picture we offered,it is very easy for you to remove it.
For replacing the laser unit:
1. height precision gauge.
2. TORX T06X40 screwdriver.
3. precision screwdriver size 1
4. screw securing lacquer (Loctide screwfastener)
5. solder iron and desolder wick or desolder pump

If it can not be resolved,we will offer you the best solution.
Your early response will be highly appreciated.

Notice anything here.....  Besides the Engrish.

Edit-5/24/13 Received the new unit.  Worked as good as the first one.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 06:26:35 am by ffxik »