Author Topic: HOCKEY???  (Read 7023 times)

90snostalga

Re: HOCKEY???
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2013, 03:37:26 am »
Any one see the 4 goals scored by rookie of the San Jose Sharks Tomas Hertle!!!  And the last goal was a trick shop from behind his leg!!!  Fantastic even tho i do not like the Sharks

sin2beta

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2013, 11:13:03 pm »
I'll have to pull up the game. Sounds amazing.

And I don't know if the crowd at the Stars games were better. I went to two preseason games and then work game me tickets to opening night. So, far the first preseason game I went to (in the nose bleed section) had the biggest groups of fans. Although opening night was a good atmosphere. No one looked bored. But a lot of people seemed unclear about the rules. This is ok though.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 09:26:43 am »
I'll have to pull up the game. Sounds amazing.

And I don't know if the crowd at the Stars games were better. I went to two preseason games and then work game me tickets to opening night. So, far the first preseason game I went to (in the nose bleed section) had the biggest groups of fans. Although opening night was a good atmosphere. No one looked bored. But a lot of people seemed unclear about the rules. This is ok though.

Here is his 4th and amazing goal!!!  Check out the vid!

90snostalga

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2013, 10:05:55 pm »
anyone like me and feel like the NHL should get rid of the point system and just do like other sports and base the divisions on the win-loss record?  I just don't see the point of getting rewarded for not winning a game.  It shouldn't matter if you did not lose in regulation, if you lose the game, you lose the game.

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2013, 10:24:36 am »
anyone like me and feel like the NHL should get rid of the point system and just do like other sports and base the divisions on the win-loss record?  I just don't see the point of getting rewarded for not winning a game.  It shouldn't matter if you did not lose in regulation, if you lose the game, you lose the game.
agreed or let the game end in a draw.
why do american sports require someone to win?

90snostalga

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2013, 01:02:05 pm »
agreed or let the game end in a draw.
why do american sports require someone to win?

because that's the point of sports.  its competition.  the best team should win.  i see too many times where a tied game towards the end of the 3rd period, teams start to play traditional just to advance and at least get one point.  it's not very entertainment to me.  the reason i could see a tie being acceptable is if its a skills competition like the shootout.  Other than that, a game is a game.  One reason  I can't deal with soccer is because they play for so long just to finish 0-0 or 1-1.  I think in hockey, there is more overtime now as a result of each team getting one point.  Who ever plays the hardest and wins should be awarded.  How many teams with loses go into the playoffs because of the point system?  I can't see the point in that one point for losing lol

sin2beta

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2013, 01:57:49 pm »
I actually kind of like the point based system. I think it depends on the team you are a fan of. If your a Pittsburgh Pens fan, the point system probably sucks. You know you're making the playoffs. it just depends on how you do in the playoffs.

But if you are a Colorado Avalanche fan, the point race can help keep your attention in the games. Behind by one in the third period, 2 minutes left, remove that goalie and try to tie this baby up. Get that point! This also makes shootouts more exciting to me.

But the NHL has two seasons to me. The point based qualification round. Then the real season starts in the playoffs.

I like it. Clamoring for points is one of the only ways to keep attention for 82 games.

90snostalga

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2013, 02:12:56 pm »
I actually kind of like the point based system. I think it depends on the team you are a fan of. If your a Pittsburgh Pens fan, the point system probably sucks. You know you're making the playoffs. it just depends on how you do in the playoffs.

But if you are a Colorado Avalanche fan, the point race can help keep your attention in the games. Behind by one in the third period, 2 minutes left, remove that goalie and try to tie this baby up. Get that point! This also makes shootouts more exciting to me.

But the NHL has two seasons to me. The point based qualification round. Then the real season starts in the playoffs.

I like it. Clamoring for points is one of the only ways to keep attention for 82 games.

Let me ask, what is the point of the point system tho?  When did it get started and why?    Furthermore, I just can't get into the points.  I just feel like if you lose the game, you lose the game.  I think teams will slack off in the 3rd just to get a point rather than just win the game.  It seems like it is a motivation for teams to tie rather than win.  They basically have it the same as before the 05 lock out.  If two teams are tied at the end of regulation, you each get a point.  Basically, they are getting a point for a tie.  But do you agree that if there were no points, teams would work so much harder during a game to win and score as many goals as possible?

Additionally, per the Colorado Av's, you do not need a point system lol!  They have an unstoppable offense!!  They create so many scoring chances and shots per game that it seems unbelievable. 

sin2beta

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2013, 02:32:28 pm »

Let me ask, what is the point of the point system tho?  When did it get started and why?    Furthermore, I just can't get into the points.  I just feel like if you lose the game, you lose the game.  I think teams will slack off in the 3rd just to get a point rather than just win the game.  It seems like it is a motivation for teams to tie rather than win.  They basically have it the same as before the 05 lock out.  If two teams are tied at the end of regulation, you each get a point.  Basically, they are getting a point for a tie.  But do you agree that if there were no points, teams would work so much harder during a game to win and score as many goals as possible?

Additionally, per the Colorado Av's, you do not need a point system lol!  They have an unstoppable offense!!  They create so many scoring chances and shots per game that it seems unbelievable.

So, far the Avs are doing very well. This was not the case the last two seasons. Last season we were dead last or second to last. This year we are ranked first in the league. It's the same team. But, man, I had no idea coaching could do so much at that level. Patrick Roy has made Joe Sacco look like a fool. I was a Patrick Roy fan as a kid. I doubted him when picked as a coach. But man, is it good to have Saint Patrick back.

Well, you get 1 point for a tie. Two points for a win. Most teams go chasing for points at the end. You have to win.

I imagine the point system cam across due to uneven divisions. Most of the time, it is easier to get into the playoffs in the West Coast. The east tends to have the best teams. This year is way different though. The west has been dominating. Philadelphia is a free two points for any team. But I imagine it started for the really packed divisions. You play tough teams more than the other teams do, you should be compensated for ties.

That's my guess though. But it is only a guess.

90snostalga

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2013, 03:48:54 pm »

So, far the Avs are doing very well. This was not the case the last two seasons. Last season we were dead last or second to last. This year we are ranked first in the league. It's the same team. But, man, I had no idea coaching could do so much at that level. Patrick Roy has made Joe Sacco look like a fool. I was a Patrick Roy fan as a kid. I doubted him when picked as a coach. But man, is it good to have Saint Patrick back.

Well, you get 1 point for a tie. Two points for a win. Most teams go chasing for points at the end. You have to win.

I imagine the point system cam across due to uneven divisions. Most of the time, it is easier to get into the playoffs in the West Coast. The east tends to have the best teams. This year is way different though. The west has been dominating. Philadelphia is a free two points for any team. But I imagine it started for the really packed divisions. You play tough teams more than the other teams do, you should be compensated for ties.

I think the message that Patrick Roy sent out the first game against the Ducks really did it for his team.  His players know he's got their back and it's motivational.

But lets say your point theory is true.  This is still passifying favoritism teams. That's another theory about the NHL I'm not a fan of.  They have their favorites and push for them.  I don't know.  I guess thats just how I look at sports.  There has to be a winner because it's a competition.  Look at Detroit.  They were complaining about the time zone's for their games, and now there is a re alignment and look at where Florida and Tampa Bay are.  They have to travel NorthEast for all their away division games.  Why couldn't Dallas, Nashville, Florida, Tampa, and someone else in central America be in the same division.  This seemed like a polotical way to get the Florida (southern most) teams to fail.  Other than the point system and the favoritism of certain teams, hockey is great!  This coming from a fan that used to consider NFL my number one sport.  I am still a fan of the NFL, but I think I am starting to watch the decline of it's number one spot.  I want the NHL to get into the top 3 in America, and I guess that's why I'm so strict about it.  I don't see a continuation of a point system healthy for the popularity of the sport.

90snostalga

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2013, 03:49:58 pm »
Oh and I have to add that the game between Pittsburgh and Colorado was an excellent and shocking game!  I really thought Crosby would pull that game off but Colorado is the real deal  :)

sin2beta

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2013, 04:25:19 pm »

I think the message that Patrick Roy sent out the first game against the Ducks really did it for his team.  His players know he's got their back and it's motivational.

But lets say your point theory is true.  This is still passifying favoritism teams. That's another theory about the NHL I'm not a fan of.  They have their favorites and push for them.  I don't know.  I guess thats just how I look at sports.  There has to be a winner because it's a competition.  Look at Detroit.  They were complaining about the time zone's for their games, and now there is a re alignment and look at where Florida and Tampa Bay are.  They have to travel NorthEast for all their away division games.  Why couldn't Dallas, Nashville, Florida, Tampa, and someone else in central America be in the same division.  This seemed like a polotical way to get the Florida (southern most) teams to fail.  Other than the point system and the favoritism of certain teams, hockey is great!  This coming from a fan that used to consider NFL my number one sport.  I am still a fan of the NFL, but I think I am starting to watch the decline of it's number one spot.  I want the NHL to get into the top 3 in America, and I guess that's why I'm so strict about it.  I don't see a continuation of a point system healthy for the popularity of the sport.

Oh the NHL definitely has favoritism. Just look at what teams get national telvision spots (although that may not be the NHL's doing). It's always the Leafs, Pens, Flyers, Caps, and Rangers. Also, look at the teams selected for each Winter Classic. Being a hockey fan in the West, I've definitely seen this favoritism.

I'm still a bit skeptical about Colorado, which is weird. I've been a fan since the 90s. And always thought they had top notch talent in the current roster. But the last few years have just been O'Reilly in my opinion. Laneskog had a pretty good first season. But finally, everyone is playing like they should Duchene looks like the star he is supposed to be. Downie started the season off just insane. And Varlamov has been doing well. That is what makes me happiest. I"m a huge fan of Varly.

The division with Florida makes not sense.

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2013, 09:15:07 pm »
Oh and I have to add that the game between Pittsburgh and Colorado was an excellent and shocking game!  I really thought Crosby would pull that game off but Colorado is the real deal  :)
its about time we got back to being a good team.
was poor while we rebuilt but the kids are now coming good.

sin2beta

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2013, 09:26:04 pm »

I feel the same way. Between Manning and Roy, the Denver sports scene is looking good. It just hurts (yet feels kinda right) that our one loss is the the Red Wings. God I hate the Red Wings.

Looking forward to playing Anaheim again...

90snostalga

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2013, 10:06:36 pm »

I feel the same way. Between Manning and Roy, the Denver sports scene is looking good. It just hurts (yet feels kinda right) that our one loss is the the Red Wings. God I hate the Red Wings.

Looking forward to playing Anaheim again...

I am very shocked tho' that Colorado passed up on Seth Jones.  McKinnon seems to be playing very well, but Seth has shined with Shea Weber in Nashville.  @Sin, we should go to a game together sometime?  ;)