Author Topic: HOCKEY???  (Read 7023 times)

tripredacus

Re: HOCKEY???
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2013, 02:43:40 pm »
I was going to mention the star power as well but couldn't put it together properly. At that time in the mid 90s, Gretzky and Lemieux were the aging stars even though they were still playing. They weren't the big exciting guys. I guess you could say Martin Brodeur and Teemu Selanne, Paul Kariya were the biggest stars but they weren't anywhere close to those guys from the 80s. I'd say there wasn't any big time star in Hockey until Crosby and Ovechkin got in, but the problem was they got in right after the 04-05 lockout. And as we know, lockouts hurt leagues and following and attendence. Things were better but again hockey had another lockout and we only got half the season out of it. It hasn't gotten back yet and Crosby isn't what he used to be and any other star in the league still ends up being a well kept secret in the country's eyes.

But that's just the US that has this problem really. Hockey is big elsewhere and doesn't suffer the problem of being buried. Part of the problem is TV and radio coverage. The national stations don't mention anything unless something stupid or exciting happens. And if you don't live in a hockey town, your local radio probably doesn't talk about it, since the national radio shows (Rome, Cowherd, that Tiki Barber show, Boomer and cartan, etc) rarely mention it.

90snostalga

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2013, 03:15:40 pm »
Don't forget about Patrick Kane.  I think he should have the most impact in the US just for the fact that he is an American hockey player that is a super star. 

90snostalga

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2013, 08:48:33 am »
Can any one give me and reason or debate that I should believe the U.S. olympic team will loose to the Canada team????   U.S. is so deep and super talented right now.

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2013, 11:09:06 am »
Even though in live in Canada, I always cheer for team U.S.A. instead.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2013, 06:44:39 pm »
Here's my 2 cents on hockey popularity.

It's never going to catch on. 75% of the country will never grow up playing hockey. Kids everywhere can play baseball, football, and basketball. Not so much with hockey. Kids won't have that seed planted when they're young.
I tried to like hockey when I was a teenager. It just didn't work out. I don't understand it and I don't like it.

As for the UFC, there is nothing more entertaining than a good fight. It's my favorite.

90snostalga

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 07:57:13 am »
Here's my 2 cents on hockey popularity.

It's never going to catch on. 75% of the country will never grow up playing hockey. Kids everywhere can play baseball, football, and basketball. Not so much with hockey. Kids won't have that seed planted when they're young.
I tried to like hockey when I was a teenager. It just didn't work out. I don't understand it and I don't like it.

As for the UFC, there is nothing more entertaining than a good fight. It's my favorite.

There is great fights in hockey games all the time  ;)

90snostalga

« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2013, 07:57:37 am »
Even though in live in Canada, I always cheer for team U.S.A. instead.

:D  That's what I'm talking about lol

90snostalga

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2013, 01:34:40 pm »
Every one be sure to tune into NBC tomorrow to watch the NHL Winter Classic live (if you are not hung over), and especially Matt, since you are a Detroit fan  :)

« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2014, 12:30:12 pm »
Every one be sure to tune into NBC tomorrow to watch the NHL Winter Classic live (if you are not hung over), and especially Matt, since you are a Detroit fan  :)
i watched the second period.
love the winter classic.
I was watching Man united get beat while the first was on :)

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2014, 10:38:20 am »

Ugh, the NBC feed is horrible. CBC is the way to go but I'm Canadian and biased. NBC guys don't seem to know what the hell they're talking about.

Regardless, the best team won :D

GO LEAFS GO!!!

Oh and I'll probably be rooting for the US team in the Olympics too - Kessel and JVR are on the team  8)

90snostalga

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2014, 01:57:03 pm »

Ugh, the NBC feed is horrible. CBC is the way to go but I'm Canadian and biased. NBC guys don't seem to know what the hell they're talking about.

Regardless, the best team won :D

GO LEAFS GO!!!

Oh and I'll probably be rooting for the US team in the Olympics too - Kessel and JVR are on the team  8)

Awww man I love Doc and Eddy Ovelcheck!  Keep in mind tho' that in the US, we have to watch it on NBC lol.  But I do watch Hockey night in Canada sometimes on Directv (sometimes we pick up the cbc feed) and I do have to say I enjoy I think their name is Jim Hughston and Craig??  I could be wrong.  I do like them but I think that Doc, Piere McGuire and Eddy have the best chemistry out of all the US channels that show hockey. 

Overall it was a good game tho'.  I thought Jimmy Howard was finally playing like he was last season and giving the weather conditions, both goalies did outstanding.  But, Toronto got lucky at the end lol.    I mean, wouldn't Detroit have scored at the end of the breakaway and then they blew the stupid horn to switch sides?  I do not think Bernier would have stopped that one.  Good game tho'.

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2014, 02:06:08 pm »
It sucks that Detroit lost, as they're my #1 team. Oh well. I am going to root for team USA, just like I did last time, even though I am Canadian.