Author Topic: Turbografx-16  (Read 6920 times)

patrickmeansly

Re: TURBOGRAFX 16
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 06:19:17 pm »
so thats what soera comes from lol 8); i got to try that one.  I havent played the golden axe on SMS but I seen the gameplay on youtube and Zelda was my first thought.  CAnt wait to get that one, one day

patrickmeansly

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 06:21:15 pm »
So SlothingXPLG, have we convinced you to get a Sega Master System yet???

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 07:00:32 pm »
I love the Sega Master System too. The system itself is more handsome looking than the NES and gives you less problems (no blinkies). And the graphics are brighter and more colorful.

But still, the NES's game library beats the SMS's game library, EASILY. Wonder Boy and the Sonic the Hedgehog SMS may be cool platformers, but they've got nothing on Super Mario Bros. 1-3 and Duck Tales 1 & 2. Golden Axe: Warrior wishes it was as good as the Legend of Zelda and Crystalis. Zillion is pretty cool but I'd still take Metroid over it. NES's Ninja Gaiden may not look as good, but the gameplay is 10 times better. Sega Master System got R-Type over the NES, I'll give it that, but then at the same time NES got Gradius and LifeForce and SMS didn't. There's nothing on SMS to compare to the Castlevania series, Mega Man series, Contra, or Bionic Commando among others.

patrickmeansly

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 07:41:45 pm »
I love the Sega Master System too. The system itself is more handsome looking than the NES and gives you less problems (no blinkies). And the graphics are brighter and more colorful.

But still, the NES's game library beats the SMS's game library, EASILY. Wonder Boy and the Sonic the Hedgehog SMS may be cool platformers, but they've got nothing on Super Mario Bros. 1-3 and Duck Tales 1 & 2. Golden Axe: Warrior wishes it was as good as the Legend of Zelda and Crystalis. Zillion is pretty cool but I'd still take Metroid over it. NES's Ninja Gaiden may not look as good, but the gameplay is 10 times better. Sega Master System got R-Type over the NES, I'll give it that, but then at the same time NES got Gradius and LifeForce and SMS didn't. There's nothing on SMS to compare to the Castlevania series, Mega Man series, Contra, or Bionic Commando among others.

Thats one classic I have never played.  That is Mega Man.  When I was a kid, I had a friend down the street who was a die hard Mega Man fan.  He did nothing but talk about Mega Man, so it made me never want to play it.  Now I regret it.  Thats something I got to get is the Mega Man NES CIB collection.  I remember when we were playing Donkey Kong on the super nintendo, he was playing Mega Man 5 or something lol

soera

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 07:55:08 pm »
Dont bother with Mega man series on the NES ... you can get the collection on Gamecube or PS2 and have all the games plus a few extras for cheaper than you can buy MM 1.

As far as NES vs SMS, I dont want to open that can of worms. Sure the NES has some awesome titles but they also have enough shit titles to outnumber the entire NES library. It was partially Sega's own fault but they really limited themselves on 2nd and 3rd party stuff. I just wonder what would have happened if Konami, Capcom, Square, Enix, and some other companies supported SMS instead of the NES.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 08:04:25 pm »
As if the SMS had no shovelware of it's own, there are some bad ones that I can think of:

-Alex Kidd in High Tech World
-Alex Kidd and the Lost Stars
-Alf
-Altered Beast (TERRIBLE port)
-The Flash
-Mortal Kombat (TERRIBLE port)
-Rocky
-Superman: The Man of Steel
-Vigilante
-X-Men: Mojo World

soera

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 08:20:21 pm »
MK wasnt a US release. Neither was the Flash, Superman, or X-men. Rocky was pretty cool ... It wasnt as great as MTPO but it was fun. I actually liked the Altered Beast port. I wont try to defend the Alex Kidd games. They are what they are. They will never compete with Mario. Vigilante Ive never seen before. Alf is .... Alf!  :P

As far as the non US release games, the SMS had a seriously long life in European and Australian areas. It had a full decade of life in most of those areas.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 08:22:28 pm »
SMS is region-free.

soera

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 08:27:16 pm »
I know ... but for the most part, I consider the US library its library for all normal purposes. http://segaage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Search.Results&&pId=141 is the entire actual library of games for the SMS.

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 09:02:42 pm »
So SlothingXPLG, have we convinced you to get a Sega Master System yet???

Actually I have been looking around for one for the past month.
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

sin2beta

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 09:13:01 pm »
Yeah, in the US it really didn't have shovelware. Almost by definition. Shovelware requires a popular system. But of the 114-115US games, I'd say about 15 are crap. Dynamite Dux comes to mind. The other crap games were also on the NES: Ghostbusters. I honestly feel that the UK was mostly shovelware free as well. Brazil... well that's a different story. TecToy Shoveled it on. And while the SMS is region free in a way (kinda, has two regions, I'd say) TecToy almost counts as it's own company for SMS. SEGA was not in Brazil, TecToy was. The SMS was handled very differently in the different regions due to the different ownership.

-Alf
-The Flash
-Rocky
-Vigilante

I would argue that some of these are not shovelware. The Alex Kidd games may be weird but not shovelware. I would also argue that Altered Beast was a decent port for the hardware. The gameplay is very similar in feel. The graphics took a huge downturn. But that is to be expected. Castlevania had a similar port downgrade when it made its way to the NES from the MSX. Terrible port? Maybe in a way. Still fun and one of the best games on the NES. It's just the NES is no MSX. Just like the SMS is no arcade or Genesis.

Mojo World. shovelware. Good old Brazil.

The rest, I've never played.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 09:45:48 pm »
Would you guys say that sms system model 1 or 2 is better?
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

sin2beta

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 10:01:51 pm »
Would you guys say that sms system model 1 or 2 is better?

Model 1. The SMS 2 came with Alex Kidd (a few with sonic). But that is where the good stops. It feels like a toy. Is missing the card slot. And worst of all.... no flow chart.  >:(
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 10:59:38 pm »
I enjoy the master system a lot because of game like Golden Axe warrior and Shinobi, as well as Rampage, neat little system
To get back on topic with the Turbo however Im on the other side of the fence with that. I dislike the system, Im not saying I think it's horrible or anything, just very underwhelming. I think a lot of the games are mediocre at best. I mean if you want your shoot-em-up fix go to the Saturn, platformers? snes or genesis. Compared to the competition the Turbo is not that great. I agree for the time it was underrated, I mean nobody cared about it, however now the prices are insane! and its not worth it. It's a very pretty 8-bit console with little to offer

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 11:38:40 pm »
Yeah, in the US it really didn't have shovelware. Almost by definition. Shovelware requires a popular system. But of the 114-115US games, I'd say about 15 are crap. Dynamite Dux comes to mind. The other crap games were also on the NES: Ghostbusters. I honestly feel that the UK was mostly shovelware free as well. Brazil... well that's a different story. TecToy Shoveled it on. And while the SMS is region free in a way (kinda, has two regions, I'd say) TecToy almost counts as it's own company for SMS. SEGA was not in Brazil, TecToy was. The SMS was handled very differently in the different regions due to the different ownership.

-Alf
-The Flash
-Rocky
-Vigilante

I would argue that some of these are not shovelware. The Alex Kidd games may be weird but not shovelware. I would also argue that Altered Beast was a decent port for the hardware. The gameplay is very similar in feel. The graphics took a huge downturn. But that is to be expected. Castlevania had a similar port downgrade when it made its way to the NES from the MSX. Terrible port? Maybe in a way. Still fun and one of the best games on the NES. It's just the NES is no MSX. Just like the SMS is no arcade or Genesis.

Mojo World. shovelware. Good old Brazil.

The rest, I've never played.

Altered Beast a decent port? Not by any means of the definition. The game is buggy, glitchy, and slow. It never should have been on the Master System. Castlevania may not have looked as good, but it still played just fine.

As for Alex Kidd, the other entries are good, but those 2 in particular aren't so great. It was like Sega saw they might have a hit on their hands with the first game so they just shoved those 2 out the door real quick for a cash grab.