Author Topic: Top Retro Consoles of All Time  (Read 5350 times)

patrickmeansly

Top Retro Consoles of All Time
« on: May 13, 2013, 04:46:13 pm »
So, I thought It would Be cool to see what everyone would have ranked on their top 10 list of classic systems.  This can include any console except (ps3, xbox 360 and wii).  Here is MIne:'

10.  Turbografx 16 (havent played it but judging from the videos and games and others feedback; I have to put it it 10.  Would have been Sega Saturn

9. Sega Master System

8. PS2

7. Game Boy/Game Boy Color

6. Playstation 1

5. Genesis

4. Super Nintendo

3. Dreamcast

2. NES

1. Nintendo 64
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:12:00 pm by exonerator »

soera

Re: TOP RETRO CONSOLES OF ALL TIME!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 05:14:00 pm »
Here is my list

#1 - PS2: Its impossible to find a system so complete (I would actually stick with the PS1 but the more I think about it, the PS2 plays all the PS1 games as well as their own awesome options). With its backwards compatibility with PS1, you have almost 4000 games to choose from. Sony has been the #1 controller option since they came out as well.

#2 - SMS: Everyone remembers the NES ... everyone loves the NES ... but everyone is missing out on the best 8-bit system there is. A much smaller library for sure (115 vs 765) but the choices are so much better on the SMS.

#3 - Gamecube: For the Nintendo system, nothing beats the little box for me. Its Nintendo's first real disk system and they didnt disappoint. If nothing else, it brings them back out of the shithole they created with the N64. Add with it the GB player and you have access to the best handheld games made as well.

Everything else ranks about the same with me (except the junk that is named the Dreamcast and the N64). Some good stuff, some bad stuff on each.

sin2beta

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:05:29 pm »
Here is my list

#1 - PS2: Its impossible to find a system so complete (I would actually stick with the PS1 but the more I think about it, the PS2 plays all the PS1 games as well as their own awesome options). With its backwards compatibility with PS1, you have almost 4000 games to choose from. Sony has been the #1 controller option since they came out as well.

#2 - SMS: Everyone remembers the NES ... everyone loves the NES ... but everyone is missing out on the best 8-bit system there is. A much smaller library for sure (115 vs 765) but the choices are so much better on the SMS.

#3 - Gamecube: For the Nintendo system, nothing beats the little box for me. Its Nintendo's first real disk system and they didnt disappoint. If nothing else, it brings them back out of the shithole they created with the N64. Add with it the GB player and you have access to the best handheld games made as well.

Everything else ranks about the same with me (except the junk that is named the Dreamcast and the N64). Some good stuff, some bad stuff on each.

1. Dreamcast - It had the more influence on online gaming than any other console than the original XBox. It had amazing games. The VMUs are awesome. I wish consoles still had VMUs. I like the controller (although this is a personal preference). It is also beautiful. Examples of awesome = Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia, Capcom Fighters, Jet Set Radio, Space Channel 5, Sonic Adventure

2. Genesis - Awesomeness in simplicity. The audio had an amazing hard rock/ techno feel. This is in stark contrast to the SNES sound chip which always had a soft, reverb filled, orchestral sound. Although the SNES sound chip is technically superior, you ain't getting the Streets of Rage soundtrack on SNES. Sonic, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Streets of Rage, Gunstar Heroes, Alien Storm

3. NES - Along with the commodore 64, this is what I cut my teeth on. This system is pure awesome.

4. Game Gear - It's a portable master system. Play every master system game plus some more. It is also fascinating as there is a lot of unknown forgotten history on it. It seems the NES doesn't have a lot of discovering left due to its popularity. I find that boring to collect for. There are controversies but not much stuff you can find where you will be one of a few collectors to even know a particular fact. Phantasy Star, Wonder Boy 3, Tails Adventure, Halley Wars, Streets of Rage 2, Alien Syndrome, Outrun, Space Harrier, After Burner. Pure Awesome.

Clearly I have a lot of love for SEGA.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

patrickmeansly

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 06:13:36 pm »
Here is my list

1. Dreamcast - It had the more influence on online gaming than any other console than the original XBox. It had amazing games. The VMUs are awesome. I wish consoles still had VMUs. I like the controller (although this is a personal preference). It is also beautiful. Examples of awesome = Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia, Capcom Fighters, Jet Set Radio, Space Channel 5, Sonic Adventure

2. Genesis - Awesomeness in simplicity. The audio had an amazing hard rock/ techno feel. This is in stark contrast to the SNES sound chip which always had a soft, reverb filled, orchestral sound. Although the SNES sound chip is technically superior, you ain't getting the Streets of Rage soundtrack on SNES. Sonic, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Streets of Rage, Gunstar Heroes, Alien Storm

3. NES - Along with the commodore 64, this is what I cut my teeth on. This system is pure awesome.

4. Game Gear - It's a portable master system. Play every master system game plus some more. It is also fascinating as there is a lot of unknown forgotten history on it. It seems the NES doesn't have a lot of discovering left due to its popularity. I find that boring to collect for. There are controversies but not much stuff you can find where you will be one of a few collectors to even know a particular fact. Phantasy Star, Wonder Boy 3, Tails Adventure, Halley Wars, Streets of Rage 2, Alien Syndrome, Outrun, Space Harrier, After Burner. Pure Awesome.

I feel you.  thats why I think SEGA was under rated.  Dreamcast was sooo ahead of its time and Sega Master System awesome!  I dont even think  I ever played a Game Gear so I cant comment on that.  If Sega came out with a new console, I would pre-order it in a heart beat!!  I loved Genesis as a kid and Dreamcast.  Dam if only my dream was true that Sega came out this year with another console.  They caught everyone off guard in my dream which made it the number 1 console this holiday season

patrickmeansly

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 06:15:16 pm »

Yes I agree about the Master System.

But For real Soera??  You truly did not like the N64??  :( Or the Dreamcast???? :(   Is there at least any games on these two that you love???

patrickmeansly

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 06:24:58 pm »

so I got to ask sin2beta aka Hazuki lol  ;) considering I have never played the Game Gear; what top 5 games besides sonic 2 that you recommend for game gear???  And does game gear have any tv port to play??  I have the Super Game boy to put in my SNES for game boy games but what about Game Gear??

atariboy

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 06:47:14 pm »
I don't think there was an adapter to play Game Gear Games on your TV but there was one so you can play your SMS games on your Game Gear. http://vgcollect.com/item/15713
Also here is a topic on it from a few years back at sega-16 http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?9809-Game-Gear-to-Genesis-Adapter
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 07:08:45 pm »
The Top 10 Consoles of All-Time According to BurningDoom:

1. Nintendo (NES)

The NES is what made me fall in love with gaming. It wasn't my first console, that distinction goes to the Atari 2600, which was actually my older sister's but we all played it. Atari 2600 didn't hold my interest for longer than 20 minutes. But when I was 6 (or maybe 7) I got a Nintendo for my birthday from both my Grandparents and my Mom. Along with it I got the pack-in-game (Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt Combo-Cart), as well as The Legend of Zelda, Star Soldier, Pin-Bot, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I was hooked. It was like digital crack in my NES years. I went on to enjoy many of the other classics like Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link, Bionic Commando, Contra, TMNT II: The Arcade Game, Batman, Super Mario Bros. 2 & 3, Castlevania, Mega Man series, and others.

2. Super Nintendo (SNES)

This system is pure 2D gold. It took everything great about the NES, and made it better: Better graphics, better sound, bigger and longer games, a better controller, and much more reliable hardware. And it had one of the greatest libraries of games of all-time such as: Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, LoZ: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country series, Street Fighter II series, Mortal Kombat 1-3, Actraiser, Mega Man X, Maximum Carnage, X-Men, and others.

3. Sony Playstation

Sony Playstation. The system that brought me kicking and screaming into the 3D age. At first, I wasn't happy at all with the explosion of 3D gaming. I was very happy with the NES era and the 16-bit wars between SNES and Genesis. Most of all, I had to get used to 3D gaming controls. It sounds ridiculous to some of you younger gamers, I'm sure, but a lot of us grew up with nothing but 2D games for well over a decade and the 2D gaming style was ingrained into us. But what finally brought me over was seeing someone playing the original Resident Evil. I'm a huge horror fan, I ESPECIALLY love the George Romero Living Dead Trilogy, and Resident Evil was totally paying homage to those films. My mom heard me going on and on about it to friends and as a birthday present to both me and my brother (yeah, we shared it) she bought us a Playstation with Crash Bandicoot, Gex, Ridge Racer, Tomb Raider, and Resident Evil 2. That's an incredible starter set for PS1. PS1 had such a huge and diverse library of games and a LARGE number of gems including: King's Field 1 & 2, Diablo, Resident Evil 1-3, Spider-Man 1 & 2, WWF Attitude, WWF Smackdown 1 & 2, WCW Nitro, WCW Mayhem, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-3, Mega Man Legends, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and others.

4. Sega Genesis

Sega Genesis. Sega's crowning achievement, IMO. Such a great system with such a great library of exclusives as well as plenty of great multiplatform games. It was the system that really introduced me to Sega, other than the random Sega arcade here or there (pretty much Golden Axe, Space Harrier, and Altered Beast). My best friend had one first. We played the hell out of Mortal Kombat and Sonic the Hedgehog games. Then towards the end of the 16-bit era, I traded in my SNES towards a Genesis because I had played all the great SNES games and decided it was time for a change. Maybe not the best trade in retrospect, but back then I only owned 1 console at a time. I'm still VERY happy I did it, or else I wouldn't have experienced classics like: Sonic the Hedgehog series, Mortal Kombat series, Comix Zone, Strider, Revenge of Shinobi, X-Men 2: The Clone Wars, Spider-Man, Vectorman 1 & 2, Ristar, and others.

5. XBox

Not counting the much earlier released Dreamcast which I had, XBox was the first last-generation system that I owned. It was the first system of choice for me from 2001 to 2006 (however I also have a PS2 and Gamecube). It had the best hardware last-generation, it had the best-looking graphics on multiplatform games, it has a hard-drive (I have so much music on mine plus plenty of room for game-saves and expansions), it has been reliable in my experience, and it has some killer exclusives. Some of my favorites for the system include: ES III: Morrowind, Halo 1 & 2, Jade Empire, Fable, MechAssault 1 & 2, WWF Raw 1 & 2, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2, Dungeon & Dragons: Heroes, Star Wars: Battlefront 1 & 2, Spider-Man 1 & 2, X-Men: Legends 1 & 2, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, Darkwatch, Gun, GTA series, and others.

6. Sega Dreamcast

The Sega Dreamcast was Sega's last hurrah. Back in the day, it was absolutely jaw-dropping when it came out. Online gaming from a console, so easily, was nearly unheard of and a generation ahead of most of the internet-linked consoles of the current generation. The graphics were absolutely gorgeous when compared to the other consoles of the time: PS1 & N64. And I just love the VMU and the little screen icons and animations that play on it's screen during gameplay. The near arcade perfect-ports of fighting games and Quake III: Arena & Unreal Tournament kept me and my friends busy for a while. I was working my first job so I had money to burn. I got mine with a fine selection of games: Shenmue (which I mostly just drooled over the graphics then it collected dust), Sonic Adventure, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Marvel vs. Capcom (got stolen), Crazy Taxi, and Draconus: Cult of the Wrym. Great games: Resident Evil: Code Veronica, RE 2 & 3, Marvel vs. Capcom, Soul Calibur, House of the Dead, Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm, Quake III: Arena, Unreal Tournament, Record of Lodoss War, WWF Attitude, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Spider-Man, and others.

7. Playstation 2

The Playstation 2 makes my list for the sheer number of titles available for the thing. The variety and amount of games this system has is incredible. And right now, that library of games is going for dirt cheap, which is great for a game collector like myself. I can play all the games I missed while I was focusing on XBox without it hurting my wallet much. Plus it's been around for 10 years and is still alive, on life support, but still alive. Just look at some of the best from it's library: King's Field: The Ancient City, God of War 1 & 2, Rygar: The Legendary Adventure, Resident Evil 4, RE: Code Veronica X, Champions of Norrath, Champions: Return to Arms, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2, Star Wars: Battlefront 1 & 2, Spider-Man 1 & 2, Mega Man Collections, Capcom Collections, Devil May Cry 1-3, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, Ghostbuster: The Video Game, WWE: Smackdown vs. Raw series, and others.

8. XBox 360

This is the console of choice for me, current generation. I also have a Wii, but I play my 360 FAR more than I do my Wii. I don't have the privilege of owning a PS3 yet, so I can't compare it to the 360. PS3 is a bit too pricey for me. The 360 has had some solid titles, and I love the XBox Live Arcade which allows me to play old-school classics and new games that are in that old-school style. The hard-drive is great, just like the original XBox. And the graphics on 360 have really wowed me. Some favorites on XBox 360: ES IV: Oblivion, Halo 3, Halo: Reach, WWE: Legends of Wrestlemania, WWE: Smackdown vs. Raw series, Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, Batman: Arkham Asylum, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, Lego: Batman, Raiden IV, Ghostbusters, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, Bionic Commando: Rearmed, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1, Lara Croft: Guardian of Light, Mega Man 9, and others.

9. Gameboy Advance SP

The Gameboy Advance is the greatest handheld console of all-time, as far as I'm concerned, and the SP model is the greatest model of the Gameboy Advance. I'm not much of a handheld gamer, but the GBA-SP really is special. It's pretty much a handheld 16-bit Nintendo system. It's like Super Nintendo's little brother. And since SNES is #1 on this list, it's no surprise I love this thing so much. Great graphics, great sound, long battery life and rechargable at that, an AWESOME backlit screen, a flip-feature that protects the screen from those annoying scratches most handhelds get over time, and best of all: Backwards compatibility with Game Boy and Gameboy Color games. The backlit screen makes those older games better looking than they ever were on their original handheld systems. Some favorites for Gameboy Advance: Super Mario Advance 1, 2, & 4 (I don't like Yoshi's Island, too cutesy for me), Sonic Advance 1-3, LoZ: A Link to the Past, LoZ: The Minish Cap, Metroid: Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, Castlevania series, Metal Slug Advance, Contra Advance, Doom, and the entire line of NES Classic Series. Plus great old Game Boy/Gameboy Color games like: Bionic Commando, Duck Tales 1 & 2, Super Mario Land 1 & 2, LoZ: Link's Awakening, LoZ: Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons, Metroid II: The Return of Samus, Operation C, Ninja Gaiden Shadow, Tetris, Dr. Mario, Castlevania series, Mega Man series, and others.

10. Sega Saturn

Sega Saturn was the system to have in the 32-bit era if you wanted great arcade-ports. At least that was the bill it fit in the U.S. I know it had a different image and library of games in other countries, but in the U.S. it was the arcade go-to console. I didn't actually own a Saturn until a few years ago. I played the Saturn at friends house and at this pay-per-hour console arcade that was in a local video store in our town. I loved playing fighting games on it since it had the perfect gaming pad for it and it usually had the best ports of 2D fighters at the time. Some of my favorite games on the system: Marvel Super-Heroes, X-Men: Children of the Atom, Street Fighter Alpha 1 & 2, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Mega Man 8, Shinobi Legions, Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon: Orta, Doom, Quake, Virtua Cop 1 & 2, Guardian Heroes, Galactic Attack, In the Hunt, Darius Gaiden, Sonic 3D Blast (yeah, I DO like that game), Resident Evil (okay, I played it on PS1, but still an incredible game).

sin2beta

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 07:19:48 pm »

so I got to ask sin2beta aka Hazuki lol  ;) considering I have never played the Game Gear; what top 5 games besides sonic 2 that you recommend for game gear???  And does game gear have any tv port to play??  I have the Super Game boy to put in my SNES for game boy games but what about Game Gear??

Sonic 2 for Game Gear actually is not that great. It is liked by very few people, surprisingly.

Top 5 (well... for today at least)
1. Halley Wars
2. Tail's Adventure
3. Crystal Warriors
4. Streets of Rage 2
5. Shinobi

Now to the playing on TV bit. SEGA talked about a genesis adapter to play game gear games. Supposedly they were developing one. But very little is known and it was never released. My big hope is that they indeed were working on it. Made it to the prototype stage. Then a disgruntled employee stole it. This way it can show up at a flea market and then be cloned.  8)

You can hook up a game gear to a television. It takes some decent soldering skill though. The solder points are ridiculously small. It is so easy to accidentally bridge solder points. An Aussie named Tim who hangs out on some SEGA forums makes some boards that allow for video out. http://members.iinet.net.au/~stinkyfist/reviletim/ggtv/ggtv.htm This board was used for AVGN reviews as seen below:

EDIT: Also, to play master system games on the game gear, use a device called the master gear converter. They are everywhere and sell for about $15.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:23:25 pm by sin2beta »

soera

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 08:12:01 pm »
But For real Soera??  You truly did not like the N64??  :( Or the Dreamcast???? :(   Is there at least any games on these two that you love???

I loathe the N64. 296 titles. 80 of which are sports games, 50+ of which are racing games. Basically 45% of the library is junk right out of the gate. Even the 2 main names in Nintendo were turned into 3D junk on the 64. The complete lack of anything that resembles a good RPG just lowers the system that much more.

Im going to say that my hatred for the Dreamcast stems from that thing they call a controller. Its simply the most putrid controller ever made for a system and there are no aftermarket anything so you either use it or you dont play it at all. And its RPG options are barely better than N64. RPGs for me make or break a system. I dont play many other genres.

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 09:12:37 pm »

I loathe the N64. 296 titles. 80 of which are sports games, 50+ of which are racing games. Basically 45% of the library is junk right out of the gate. Even the 2 main names in Nintendo were turned into 3D junk on the 64. The complete lack of anything that resembles a good RPG just lowers the system that much more.

Im going to say that my hatred for the Dreamcast stems from that thing they call a controller. Its simply the most putrid controller ever made for a system and there are no aftermarket anything so you either use it or you dont play it at all. And its RPG options are barely better than N64. RPGs for me make or break a system. I dont play many other genres.

you got a point.. The n64 altho having some of my favorite games. Majority of the titles were crap. as for dreamcast controller, The cord was on the back of the F**king controller???? why would they do that?
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 09:19:02 pm »
The dreamcast controller is a love it or hate it type of thing. Personally, it is probably my favorite controller ever (the 360 is great, as well as the original 3-button Genesis). I do dislike that d-pad though. Sharp and hard as hell. King of Fighter 99 requires it. Before I had an arcade stick, my thumb was raw.

I feel the gamecube controller is a similar beast. Some claim it is the best ever. Me personally, I like my games to use more than one button. Anything but the a-button was awkward to me.

Now, the N64 has about 10 games worth owning in my opinion.

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 09:19:55 pm »
1. SNES

2. Turbografx

3. Gameboy advanced

4. N64

5. Gen

6. NES

7. xbox

8. Gamecube

9.dreamcast

Although as a kid I Mainly played NES and N64 and gamecube. now looking back the snes had some of the most comfortable controllers I have played on. xbox is up there because that was the first system I ever owned myself. I never owned a ps2 or 1 except for now.. keep in mind that I love all of these consoles they are not far apart at all from eachother.
PS4-zxzpigxzx

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 09:24:21 pm »
The dreamcast controller is a love it or hate it type of thing. Personally, it is probably my favorite controller ever (the 360 is great, as well as the original 3-button Genesis). I do dislike that d-pad though. Sharp and hard as hell. King of Fighter 99 requires it. Before I had an arcade stick, my thumb was raw.

I feel the gamecube controller is a similar beast. Some claim it is the best ever. Me personally, I like my games to use more than one button. Anything but the a-button was awkward to me.

Now, the N64 has about 10 games worth owning in my opinion.

Honestly I liked the gamecube controller it was very different but it was still comfortable to me... Gen Controllers I liked a lot, For some reason I have a friend that hates them. idk dreamcast isn't that its uncomfortable its the cord on the back of the controller plus its bigger then need to be but all in all nothing I would really complain about. Yeah I agree the N64 had very little good gams but those games that were good were awesome!!
PS4-zxzpigxzx

soera

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 10:27:18 pm »
Normally we agree on the same thing ... but I guess we differ in controllers. I hate the Xbox controllers too. I dont mind Genesis but I prefer the arcade stick on there to the actual control pad.

Sony controllers are among my favorite. Also would put the original SNES controller, dogbone for NES, microcon (mad katz or gamestop brand) versions of 6th gen consoles (ps2, xbox, gamecube). I mostly like really small controllers. I have a few 1h controllers for my systems which is awesome. :)