Author Topic: Nintendo World Championships  (Read 3384 times)

Nintendo World Championships
« on: May 14, 2013, 05:33:02 am »
time to get skooled 8) by the elders lol. what games or what in general came on the Nintendo World Championships carts? I know I could look this stuff up but rather get straight answers from this community. actually while we are here what came on the 6 in 1 carts? like 6 mini games or 6 good size games. or what about the newer 81 in 1 carts? I mean is there like a menu that comes up on your nes asking which game you want to play? or what? thanks for the info as always ;D
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

patrickmeansly

Re: Nintendo World Championships
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 06:28:48 am »
time to get skooled 8) by the elders lol. what games or what in general came on the Nintendo World Championships carts? I know I could look this stuff up but rather get straight answers from this community. actually while we are here what came on the 6 in 1 carts? like 6 mini games or 6 good size games. or what about the newer 81 in 1 carts? I mean is there like a menu that comes up on your nes asking which game you want to play? or what? thanks for the info as always ;D

Unfortunately I am not an elder but hopefully I am still knowledgeable  :D

The Nintendo world Championship cart I believe came with (Super Mario Bros., Tetris and Rad RAcer) Per the Caltron 6 in 1 that was

* Adam and Eve

* Magic Carpet 1001

*  Cosmos Cop

* Porter

*  Balloon Party

*  Bookyman

You picked from a menu

There was another company called Myriad who had their own 6 in 1 but Im not sure what the games were. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:31:44 am by patrickmeansly »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 01:15:07 pm »
Here you go. 
In the NWC cart you have 6 min 21 sec to get the highest score. 
Get 50 Coins in SMB
1 Lap of the NWC Course in Rad Racer
Spend the rest of the time playing Tetris

Myrid 6-in-1 is Calrton 6-in-1.  Caltron went under and the Myrid bunch bought the stock of carts and put a different sticker over the Caltron one. 

tpugmire

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 05:04:36 pm »
Actually, the third part of the NWC was to get 4 Tetrises (clear 4 lines at once). I actually took part in the competition as a kid, but I didn't make it past the first round.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 05:20:29 pm »
Actually, the third part of the NWC was to get 4 Tetrises (clear 4 lines at once). I actually took part in the competition as a kid, but I didn't make it past the first round.

What did you do with the rest of the time?  Everything I've ever heard or read said the best strategy was to hurry through the first two and try to rack up point in Tetris.  I thought the whole thing was based on scores.  I wasn't there though.

tpugmire

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 05:24:24 pm »
It was a combination of time and score. It was set up so that as soon as you finished the three objectives, your session would end. There was no extra time.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

patrickmeansly

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 07:58:32 pm »

Bad ass!!  At least you participated in the competition.  Do you remember how they distributed the cartridges???  Was it to everyone in the tournament or just the winners???

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 09:12:49 pm »
hmm very cool to know. Thanks everyone!
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

tpugmire

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 12:12:36 am »
I have no idea if/how the cartridges were distributed. I've tried to get answers from people at Nintendo of America, but anyone I talked to had no idea. Like I said before, I didn't make it past the first local qualifiers. I had never played Rad Racer and I sucked at Tetris.

htimreimer

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 12:22:42 am »
I have no idea if/how the cartridges were distributed. I've tried to get answers from people at Nintendo of America, but anyone I talked to had no idea. Like I said before, I didn't make it past the first local qualifiers. I had never played Rad Racer and I sucked at Tetris.
they were headed out at the competition

tpugmire

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 12:31:20 am »
Some were handed out, but not all. From what I remember, there were 25-30 stations set up, each with a copy of the game. Not sure how many we're actually handed out, but I'm sure it wasn't all of them. The competition was held in cities all over the place, so I've never been able to determine how many we're actually manufactured, but I'd guess 100-200.

patrickmeansly

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 01:49:22 am »
Some were handed out, but not all. From what I remember, there were 25-30 stations set up, each with a copy of the game. Not sure how many we're actually handed out, but I'm sure it wasn't all of them. The competition was held in cities all over the place, so I've never been able to determine how many we're actually manufactured, but I'd guess 100-200.

Thanks for the information.  Kind of reminds me of that movie "the wizard".  where the guy played in a nintendo contest or something like it

ffxik

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 02:34:31 am »
There are 250 grey NWC carts that were handed out at the competitions.
There are 25 gold NWC carts that were gave away by a Nintendo Power sweepstakes.

soera

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 08:00:30 am »
All right, time for my input ... NWC was indeed 6 minutes 21 seconds to get 50 coins on SMB, 1 course on Rad racer, then get as many points as possible on Tetris. The points you got for SMB counted as equal. The points on Rad Racer counted x 10. The points you got on Tetris counted x 25. An actual Tetris was worth a mega ton of points in that aspect. I competed in OKC. I won the first day but did not win the second day and as such, I did not get an invite to the finals.

The carts themselves were the same grey carts people are paying loads of money for. They were all just to be destroyed but the parents of the people that didnt win the actual competition but did win in their respective cities were upset that they had to bring their family to the competition and were going to get nothing for it ... so as an afterthought, Nintendo gave each competitor a cartridge. Its actually unknown by everyone (including Howard Philips himself) how many were given out but the number is around 150.

The gold NWC is just a normal NWC in a gold Zelda-ish cartridge. It was a contest in Nintendo power and 26 were won.

tpugmire

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 08:32:35 am »
Your memory is better than mine. I could have sworn they told us that the third objective was to get 4 Tetrises. But like I said, I sucked anyway and couldn't do it. Did they hand out Mario and Luigi plush dolls at yours?  We got them at the door, but I gave mine to my little sister. I wonder whatever happened to those?