Author Topic: Xbox Smartglass Games  (Read 4129 times)

vigorousjammer

Xbox Smartglass Games
« on: May 15, 2013, 11:28:19 pm »
Looking on Xbox.com, I've come across some games that have a smartglass version available.

The first one I saw was for Castle Crashers.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Castle-Crashers/7e774be1-f07e-405f-b035-edf9ae9440e0

"Available for free on Smartglass?" I thought... "That can't be right..."
The way the description reads, it sounds as though it's the actual game and not just a companion app.
The description is also different and wasn't copied from the main release of the game... it was newly written for this smartglass release.

Looking around, I also found this for Home Run Stars:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Home-Run-Stars/61f87e7a-b8ae-4a61-94b1-d5e2ba752ed2

Both of these entries' titles differ from the companion apps you'd normally see.

Such as this:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Forza-Horizon-SmartGlass-Experience/079edbde-d92a-40b1-904f-72327f47a494

or this:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Full-House-Poker-SmartGlass-Experience/b783b4c4-b948-477d-a236-81f35a32cdf7

Both of those have "SmartGlass Experience" in the title, letting you know it's not an actual game.

So... what's going on here? Does this mean they're releasing games on smartglass now? and for FREE?! o_O
I'd download it and see for myself, but I don't have a tablet to test it out on.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:31:37 pm by vigorousjammer »

foxhack

Re: Xbox Smartglass Games
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:42:51 pm »
They're tablet apps that work with the actual game.

You know how in the WiiU pad you have a screen that can be used to display info and stats and whatnot? This seems to be the same thing.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 11:54:56 pm »
Everyone makes fun of Nintendo, but they seem to want to do exactly what Nintendo's doing. 

vigorousjammer

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 12:22:40 am »
They're tablet apps that work with the actual game.

You know how in the WiiU pad you have a screen that can be used to display info and stats and whatnot? This seems to be the same thing.
No, I know that's what smartglass apps typically are... just companion apps, but this Castle Crashers app... the description they wrote up is specifically for it, and it makes it sound like a game.

Quote from: Standard Castle Crashers Description:
Unlock the full version of Castle Crashers and start your journey into a world of magic and mystery! Battle your way across frozen tundra’s, deadly lava fields, and rival kingdoms in search of your kidnapped princess in this epic adventure. Eliminate your enemies with over 20 unlockable characters, 40 weapons to customize your hero with, and an arsenal of combos and magical attacks to choose from. Adventure together like never before - up to 4 can team up on the same console or over Xbox LIVE!

Quote from: Smartglass Castle Crashers Description:
Hack, slash and smash your way to victory in this red hot arcade adventure from the award-winning development studio, The Behemoth! Featuring hand-drawn characters, Castle Crashers delivers unique hi-res illustrated visuals like nothing you’ve ever seen before. Play with up to three friends locally or over Xbox LIVE and discover the mind-boggling magic and mystery in the amazing world we have created just for you. Save your princess, defend your kingdom, and crash some castles! With over 20 unlockable characters, 40 weapons to customize your hero with, and an arsenal of combos and magical attacks to choose from.

I'm infinitely curious about it. Was just wondering if anybody has actually tried it out.

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 12:29:37 am »
Oh, my bad. Now I'm curious too!

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 12:42:04 am »
Everyone makes fun of Nintendo, but they seem to want to do exactly what Nintendo's doing.

yeah I have noticed they seem to be headed in that direction. Especially with the rumors about them doing a family home entertainment system type of console? Or so what some people have told me
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

vigorousjammer

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 12:46:55 am »

yeah I have noticed they seem to be headed in that direction. Especially with the rumors about them doing a family home entertainment system type of console? Or so what some people have told me

Ugh, if May 21st rolls around and Microsoft is all like "Motion gaming! You guys like that, right?" or "Look at all of these simple games that are mostly glorified tech demos!" then I don't think I'll be buying an Xbox 720 or Xbox Infinity or whatever they're calling it. The PS4 looks alright but doesn't seem like something I absolutely have to get at launch, and if Microsoft's showing is lacking, I'll likely just upgrade my PC.

insektmute

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 02:19:22 am »
I'm somewhat excited for the PS4, but so far, my plan has been to bolster the PC ranks. Recently upgraded everything, and games look effing gorgeous on here.

That said, I keep hoping the console companies step it up a bit. This gen had some very bright moments, but some very dark ones, too.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 10:02:00 am »
I kind of think the general consensus is... eh.

The next generation is going to have a hard time getting the reaction the last gen did.  Look at how the leaps betwen generations has gotten smaller.

Atari > NES: WOW!
NES > SNES: HOLY F&#^ING $H!T
SNES > N64:  IN 3D? That's awesome!
N64 > GameCube/Xbox/PS2: That looks pretty good
GameCube/Xbox/PS2 > Xbox 360/PS3: It's amazing what they can do with games

I may just be getting older, but the "WOW" factor seems to get smaller with each generation.  It's to the point that I barely care.  I have a feeling I'm not alone in feeling like this.  More Netflix and Facebook intergration isn't going to sell me a new console.  I think the Xbox 360 and PS3 still had a lot of legs left.  No need to hurry it boys.

htimreimer

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 08:26:04 pm »
I kind of think the general consensus is... eh.

The next generation is going to have a hard time getting the reaction the last gen did.  Look at how the leaps betwen generations has gotten smaller.

Atari > NES: WOW!
NES > SNES: HOLY F&#^ING $H!T
SNES > N64:  IN 3D? That's awesome!
N64 > GameCube/Xbox/PS2: That looks pretty good
GameCube/Xbox/PS2 > Xbox 360/PS3: It's amazing what they can do with games

I may just be getting older, but the "WOW" factor seems to get smaller with each generation.  It's to the point that I barely care.  I have a feeling I'm not alone in feeling like this.  More Netflix and Facebook intergration isn't going to sell me a new console.  I think the Xbox 360 and PS3 still had a lot of legs left.  No need to hurry it boys.
it not just you, last generation was underwhelming and the 8th generation is looking to be the something which is very very bad news for the gaming industry.         
 the gaming industry is becoming stagnant at this point and if industry continues on this path we're gonna have another video game crash
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:28:41 pm by htimreimer »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 08:47:10 pm »

the gaming industry is becoming stagnant at this point and if industry continues on this path we're gonna have another video game crash

Slow down there, hot rod. There is still a lot of innovation in games. Video games are a huge industry. They make as much money as movies.  I don't think The Crash of 2014 is coming anytime soon.

I just meant it was too soon for the next cycle of systems. The WiiU, sure it was time. The Wii has been dead in the water since everyone realized they never played it. Microsoft and Sony could still do tons of stuff with their consoles.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:48:45 pm by turf »

htimreimer

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 09:04:31 pm »

Slow down there, hot rod. There is still a lot of innovation in games. Video games are a huge industry. They make as much money as movies.  I don't think The Crash of 2014 is coming anytime soon.
I just meant it was too soon for the next cycle of systems. The WiiU, sure it was time. The Wii has been dead in the water since everyone realized they never played it. Microsoft and Sony could still do tons of stuff with their consoles.
i didn't say we're are in a crash, the 8th has just started but we are starting see the same things that caused the 1983 crash pop up and this is no good for any industry.