Author Topic: Doom  (Read 1702 times)

Doom
« on: May 16, 2013, 06:19:38 am »
I have never played any version of Doom ever but heard it was a classic; however, it is made for several consoles.  What is the best system to play Doom?

Re: Doom
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 06:25:02 am »
SNES I think. It was awesome!!
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

ffxik

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 06:40:38 am »
Depends.  The preferred platform is the PC.  There are numerous versions on different consoles that are great.  3DO, PSX, Saturn, XBLA, They were released with Doom 3 on Xbox.  Well they were released with the Collectors edition and/or the stand alone expansion Resurrection of Evil.

I wouldn't consider the SNES, 32X, or Jaguar versions to be that great.  Although the 32X was by far the worst.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 07:14:13 am »
PC is best, failing that the ports included with Doom 3 as ffxik mentioned. The older console versions play well enough for the time (usually...) but there's no reason to settle for them these days.

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 08:22:21 am »
If you've got a modern console, I'd get the 360 ports since they're pretty easy to set up (insert disc, go). The PC versions are pretty cool but they can be a pain to set up, depending on your computer and whatever engine the game comes bundled with - the good thing about them is the large amount of mods available for the PC. But if you only want to play Doom, I'd go for the consoles first.

sin2beta

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 01:01:25 pm »
Definitely second the 360 or PC ports. The SNES and 32x versions seem to be considered the worst. Having played both, I would take the 32X version any day. Not that it's good. But it looks better than the SNES version. The SNES version has better music. I would rather have the 32X version with no music, just effects, and blast some metal. The SNES has no fix for the graphics. But between those two, they both aren't good, it's just which preference you have, I guess.

PC or Doom 3 BFG edition. 
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

brunauss

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 01:25:29 pm »
Hmm, no one mentioned the Playstation. It was one of the few that actually had slight enhancements, such as textures and sound. The downside was the sequel didn't get ported to Playstation until the PSN was up and running on PS3.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 01:54:47 pm »
Hmm, no one mentioned the Playstation. It was one of the few that actually had slight enhancements, such as textures and sound. The downside was the sequel didn't get ported to Playstation until the PSN was up and running on PS3.
Well, they have load times (Quake II was pretty frustrating to me.) and they're different from the original PC versions.

haloofthesun

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 02:11:25 pm »
I don't play many PC games, but Doom is definitely best on PC. Following that, they're included in the 360 version of Doom 3, like others have mentioned.

For me personally, I'd go with the SNES version next, even though it looks horrible. The sound is really good and it plays well. And if I remember correctly, it has all the levels, unlike the atrocious 32X version. Beyond that, I wouldn't really bother. Those 3 are the easiest versions to find and are the best versions around, with the SNES being a distant 3rd.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 03:33:28 pm »
doom on xbla Is my favorite... is that not how doom for snes was? or am I confused?
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

sin2beta

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 05:41:53 pm »
All ports are the same game (more or less. N64 breaks the rule a bit for example) but it was ported to basically every system. 32x, SNES, PSX, Saturn, Jaguar, 3DO, N64, Dreamcast (proto), 360, etc.

There tends to be arguments on whether the 32x or SNES is the worst. Most of this comes down to music and graphics. But there are bug considerations as well. The Jaguar is a pretty decent port but has no music.

Personally, the 3DO version looks really good. I have never played it though. However, the 360 version should be PC perfect (or better due to sound resolution, etc.)
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 06:44:58 pm »
If you've got a modern console, I'd get the 360 ports since they're pretty easy to set up (insert disc, go). The PC versions are pretty cool but they can be a pain to set up, depending on your computer and whatever engine the game comes bundled with - the good thing about them is the large amount of mods available for the PC. But if you only want to play Doom, I'd go for the consoles first.

Well said Foxhack!  I think I will try your advice and do the 360 port first!

foxhack

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 07:45:22 pm »
... see, why couldn't you type like this before getting banned, Patrick?

Yep, this is Patrick again. Same IP. Too much of a coincidence. Go. Away.