Author Topic: Best stories in video games?  (Read 5529 times)

rancesama

Re: Best stories in video games?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 05:03:56 pm »
I really loved the story of Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon.  Of course, I have always had a thing for stories centered around post-apocalyptic events. However, it was the ending of the story that really stuck with me. I won't ruin it for anyone who has yet to play it, but it was so surreal. I felt feels man, I felt them.

See news, reviews and more at Nintendo Frontier!

dreama1

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 05:32:03 pm »
Pac Man; hand down  :P

seriously, though - the (1st) Disgaea (PS2) game had a great story (in a light-hearted, quirky, fun, charming, and humorous kind of way),

and for more mature/serious kinds of stories I'd list Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 (PS2); moreso the 2nd game --but-- there is a bit of carry-over + there's Koudelka (PS1) as a loosely-associated prequel to it; there's also a Shadow Hearts: (3)/From the New World (PS2) game that - while, IMO, still being fun for the SH gameplay, doesn't come close to the 1st 2 games, story-wise,

and, to top off my 'top-of-my-head' List; I'd have to say that both Vandal Hearts 1 & 2, on the PS1 are excellent.  Again, there's a 3rd VH game - that I believe is only available digitally & from PSN for the PS3 that; like SH has some fun/similar gameplay & aspects from the original 2 but can't hold a candle to them storywise, either

my 'newest' favorite story (and OST) is Tears to Tiara 2: Heir of the Overlord (PS3) which is only voiced in Japanese with English subs, though -

and - I'll close with two games that I haven't played yet (but I have them, want to play them, and will do so...eventually) that I've heard a lot of love for their stories are 999 (on the DS) and its follow-up Zero Escape (which is on both the Vita +, iirc, PSTV compatible (my own personal, definite preference & way I'll be playing it:) *but* if you don't have a Vita...it's also available for the 3-DS.

*almost forgot* to mention: Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land (PS2) which, is surprisingly, a far better story than the usual stories that come with dungeon-crawlers,

and there's always Xenosaga (3 games on the PS2) - if you're into epic (loooong) stories with most exposition coming from FMV's / cut-scenes...that'll keep ya' busy for awhile  ;)

Happy Trails  8)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:34:00 pm by dreama1 »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 06:47:05 pm »
I like the story in Xenoblade Chronicles.

I second this one

Also Beyond Good & Evil

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 06:59:41 pm »
I don't play a whole lot of story driven games, but I really got into the story in Loom.  I'd like to get the PC Cd-rom sometime for my old PC, I've only played it on the Turbografx SCD.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 08:48:00 pm »

Sengoku Rance also had an amazing story.

dreama1

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 08:52:05 pm »
I don't play a whole lot of story driven games, but I really got into the story in Loom.  I'd like to get the PC Cd-rom sometime for my old PC, I've only played it on the Turbografx SCD.
Woahh looms on turbografx scd lol.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 03:30:09 am »
Any wild arms in particular?
The original.  If otherwise, I would've typed the whole title.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 07:15:58 am »

seriously, though - the (1st) Disgaea (PS2) game had a great story (in a light-hearted, quirky, fun, charming, and humorous kind of way),

and for more mature/serious kinds of stories I'd list Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 (PS2); moreso the 2nd game --but-- there is a bit of carry-over + there's Koudelka (PS1) as a loosely-associated prequel to it; there's also a Shadow Hearts: (3)/From the New World (PS2) game that - while, IMO, still being fun for the SH gameplay, doesn't come close to the 1st 2 games, story-wise,

and, to top off my 'top-of-my-head' List; I'd have to say that both Vandal Hearts 1 & 2, on the PS1 are excellent.  Again, there's a 3rd VH game - that I believe is only available digitally & from PSN for the PS3 that; like SH has some fun/similar gameplay & aspects from the original 2 but can't hold a candle to them storywise, either

my 'newest' favorite story (and OST) is Tears to Tiara 2: Heir of the Overlord (PS3) which is only voiced in Japanese with English subs, though -

and - I'll close with two games that I haven't played yet (but I have them, want to play them, and will do so...eventually) that I've heard a lot of love for their stories are 999 (on the DS) and its follow-up Zero Escape (which is on both the Vita +, iirc, PSTV compatible (my own personal, definite preference & way I'll be playing it:) *but* if you don't have a Vita...it's also available for the 3-DS.

*almost forgot* to mention: Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land (PS2) which, is surprisingly, a far better story than the usual stories that come with dungeon-crawlers,

and there's always Xenosaga (3 games on the PS2) - if you're into epic (loooong) stories with most exposition coming from FMV's / cut-scenes...that'll keep ya' busy for awhile  ;)

Happy Trails  8)

nothing to add?  :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

rancesama

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 05:32:25 pm »

So much plot ... and backstory too!

I think that's why people play it right ... for the plot ;)

See news, reviews and more at Nintendo Frontier!

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 05:46:49 pm »

So much plot ... and backstory too!

I think that's why people play it right ... for the plot ;)

How can Rance-Sama's Hyper Weapon POSSIBLY be this cute?

davifus

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 06:19:53 pm »
FFX
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

dreama1

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 03:32:45 pm »

Happy Trails  8)

nothing to add?  :o
No lol. Was wondering why you didn't mention shadow hearts 3  but you did nvm.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2015, 08:15:51 pm »
I thought Infamous 1 & 2 had good endings.

1 had a good ending overall but there wasn't much variety between a good ending and a bad ending.

Infamous 2 gave proper hero and villain endings.

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 01:22:21 pm »
SNES:  imo, Shadowrun

PS1:  Xenogears, Xenogears, Xenogears, with BoF IV a close 2nd.

PS2:  Star Ocean: Til the End of Time
                   edit: FF XII is up there as well       

Last Gen:  I know I will get flack for this because people hate the ending ( I don't), but ME series

Current Gen:  I would say DA: Inquisition
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:24:39 pm by kraussndhouse »