Author Topic: Game Boy Advance Hate  (Read 1414 times)

sin2beta

Game Boy Advance Hate
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:28:20 am »
Does anyone remember the Game Boy Advance hate at launch. I remember it existing and emulators coming up named boycott advance due to people vowing never to buy one. Does anyone remember exactly why? I've been doing some searching but not turning up a lot of information.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

Re: Game Boy Advance Hate
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 12:18:33 pm »
I really don't know. But then again, I didn't pay close attention to anything other than PS2 at that point.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 12:56:42 pm »
I can't imagine why. The only complaint about the original GBA that I can fathom was the unlit dark screen; which was fixed with the release of the SP.

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 01:59:14 pm »
Yeah I wasn't hip to the backlash then... I just remember the big complaint was the lighting issue and all the fun accessories (lots of 3rd party stuff) that you could get to make up for it.  I felt like it did a good job of forcing me to sit up properly in a chair with good lighting to play Harvest Moon and such.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 02:38:34 pm »
I love the system.

Too bad its sound chip was absolute garbage.

sin2beta

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 06:24:09 pm »
OK. That is kinda what I remember. The only thing I could think of was the lack of a backlit. But... in ways that doesn't make a lot of sense. I may have to get on an archive site and try digging out old websites.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 02:35:39 am »
It wasn't the lack of backlight that was the issue as such, it was the fact that the GBC screen looked clearer and brighter under normal light than the supposed "upgrade" model did. The launch titles were pretty underwhelming too.

thomascozine

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 01:07:04 am »
Maybe I was living in a vacuum at the time, or something, but I don't remember any complaints other the lack of a back light. I remember wanting one so bad when it came out.

brunauss

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 02:35:15 pm »
I love the system.

Too bad its sound chip was absolute garbage.

It was *L* Glad I waited a bit and the SP came out, which could be modded later on with the even brighter DS screen.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer