Author Topic: What's your pet peeve of each generation  (Read 3673 times)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: What's your pet peeve of each generation
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 10:23:31 pm »
here's one that can technically apply to any generation... Region-Locking

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 10:25:24 pm »
here's one that can technically apply to any generation... Region-Locking

alot of the time the issue is the TV. the game would have to be in both PAL and NTSC. (or the TV. i just found out my new TV is able to play both)

haloofthesun

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 01:11:21 am »
Another big issue I have with this current gen, and also somewhat with last gen: video game consoles being video game consoles + internet browsers + blu-ray players + social networking hubs + etc.... That stuff is nice and all but I kinda just prefer that my consoles just play games. I have a computer to use the internet, I don't need to awkwardly do it with a controller or tell people on Facebook I just got an achievement/trophy. Not to mention that all these extra features drive up the cost of the consoles.

blipcs76

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 02:00:11 pm »
Another big issue I have with this current gen, and also somewhat with last gen: video game consoles being video game consoles + internet browsers + blu-ray players + social networking hubs + etc.... That stuff is nice and all but I kinda just prefer that my consoles just play games. I have a computer to use the internet, I don't need to awkwardly do it with a controller or tell people on Facebook I just got an achievement/trophy. Not to mention that all these extra features drive up the cost of the consoles.

Good point.  Everyone wants to 'own the living room', so they're trying to make their game console into an all-in-one entertainment device.  And some gamers even fall into this trap -- look how often Nintendo was criticized for leaving DVD playback out of the GC/Wii.  Honestly, how often does someone watch a DVD on their XBox360 anyway?  PS2/PS3 is a little different, considering they both released early in DVD/blu-ray cycles and were cheap and reliable option for those new formats.

haloofthesun

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2013, 02:18:07 pm »
I do use my PS3 to watch DVDs and Blu-Ray and that's because it was a cheap alternative to a Blu-Ray player, and (obviously) I like video games, but it just gets ridiculous. Who cares if a console now can't play DVDs? The Wii U can't, but really, anyone interested in a Wii U probably has at least one other device that can already play DVDs anyway. Adding that functionality would add to the cost of a console where Nintendo is already losing money per sale, so I don't understand when people use the lack of that feature as a criticism.

darko

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2013, 02:33:43 pm »
I do use my PS3 to watch DVDs and Blu-Ray and that's because it was a cheap alternative to a Blu-Ray player, and (obviously) I like video games, but it just gets ridiculous. Who cares if a console now can't play DVDs? The Wii U can't, but really, anyone interested in a Wii U probably has at least one other device that can already play DVDs anyway. Adding that functionality would add to the cost of a console where Nintendo is already losing money per sale, so I don't understand when people use the lack of that feature as a criticism.

For me, it's all about space. I only have X inputs on my receiver and X space on my TV stand. I would rather not have 3 systems and a bluray player hooked up at the same time in one room. Sure, I could do it, but it's more convenient to have the option to throw a movie in without having to change everything up. It's an annoyance more than anything else, especially when everyone else offers/will be offering a fix for the clutter issue.

That being said, the likelihood of me purchasing a Wii U is approaching 0 with each passing day. Lackluster library, loss of some third party support (I think more will bail in the future), limited functionality (no BR player, for example) - it just doesn't do it for me.

Also, the loss leader thing happens with every console, not just the big N. That's not a legit excuse for leaving out a standard (now) function of home video game consoles.

I know DVD playback, etc is not necessary to enjoy video games, but the precedent has already been set (for several generations now). One of the reasons there are so many video game consoles in homes today is because of this all-in-one philosophy. They're competing with Apple, Roku, Toshiba, Panasonic, etc. Oh yeah, and computers in general. They need these extras to draw attention to their products. I have a ton of friends who love games but have kids, wives, partners, etc - and they would probably have to argue to get a game system on their main TV if it didn't have alternate functionality.

Of course it's a double edged sword, but without the sales figures, you don't get as much content (games). It's kind of why I don't get the whole "hate on the FPS & sports genre" mantaility. Those games put so much money into the industry it's crazy. Video games wouldn't be the same without that kind of hype and money flowing. Granted, it would be great to see that excitement and activity surrounding other genres (Elder Scrolls excluded), but we need people to love that stuff to ensure that other, smaller companies get funded for projects that we might get excited about.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 02:48:30 pm by darko »

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2013, 11:51:52 am »

This!  I do want multiplayer features and media streaming options.  But all the extra social crap can go away.  7 years later Sony is still adding tons of features I don't give a $*!% about, but their browser and media streaming still feels 10 years old.  Odd when they claim it's a media center, but since they wouldn't make any extra money by improving these features I'm sure the same garbage will make it to ps4. 

Anyone occasionally rent off PSN?  I've been seeing rentals for $8.99 recently... a RENTAL.  I've been moving away from PSN anything and towards Google Play.  The menu drives me nuts on PSN as well, I'll go to movies and the first option is "featured", go past that to rentals and the first option is "featured", go to new releases and the first option is "featured" AHHHHGG.  I already have to look at your "featured" garbage on every page, this just pushes my buttons.

tpugmire

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2013, 04:35:20 pm »
I have a tendency to just ignore stuff that I don't like, so I don't really have much that bothers me, but the few that do affect me are:

Atari 2600 games missing end labels.

N64 controller thumbsticks.

Yellowed SNES consoles.

This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com