Author Topic: Gamestop paring down Nintendo DS display...?  (Read 817 times)

desocietas

Gamestop paring down Nintendo DS display...?
« on: July 30, 2013, 01:36:30 pm »
I went in to my local Gamestop yesterday to check out their used games, and all their Nintendo DS games were gone.  I asked the manager about it, and he said due to other Nintendo games (Wii, Wii U) they were asked to remove their display for Nintendo DS cases.

All cases were going to be thrown out and the carts *only* would be kept in those stupid dinky locked display cases.

The manager thought it was ridiculous as well (I mentioned that the 3DS can play all of those games easily!) but said that he'd let me know when they were getting rid of the boxes (they still had them in drawers for the time being) so that I could go through them.  If he lets me, I might just try to take all of them and deal with getting rid of them later.

Anyway, just a heads up in case they're doing this as your local shop, too! It doesn't make any sense - the DS was such a money-maker for them... why would Nintendo or Gamestop decide to pare down the display so drastically?  (This store still has boxed PSP games, btw.)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

darko

Re: Gamestop paring down Nintendo DS display...?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 01:43:53 pm »
This happened in Oklahoma at least a year or year and a half ago.

scott

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 01:48:26 pm »
Yup, most of my GameStops don't have much for the DS any more. I've noticed the same thing in Best Buy as well.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 02:53:38 pm »
Yup, most of my GameStops don't have much for the DS any more. I've noticed the same thing in Best Buy as well.

The next-gen is here. It happens every time. I remember getting Dreamcast games for like $5 a piece at GameStop and Toys 'R Us when they went out.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 04:03:31 pm »
This happened in Oklahoma at least a year or year and a half ago.

Same here, pretty much - except that they started phasing-out both DS & PSP games around the same time.

I remember that when I first started going to my local Gamestop stores...they also used to buy, sell, and trade all kinds of CD's (music) and DVD's (movies).

Did/does any of the rest of your local branches do this/ever do this?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 04:07:54 pm »
Yeah there are still UMD movies at my branch!  I guess I've been lucky that it's held on as long as it has to some stuff.  I think they finally moved out their PS2 collection 'cause I haven't seen it on the floor this week.

DS games were still being made (still are for some companies), so I guess I was just surprised about the switch over, but I guess my branch is actually one of the few still holding onto the older stuff.

In any case, I'll let y'all know if I get a batch of empty cases/manuals.  Maybe it'll help round out some collections for some folks.

Also, while I was there, someone called on the phone to see if they could sell their PS2 games.  I told the manager I'd take them after he told them that they couldn't :P
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas