Author Topic: Dreamcast VMU  (Read 4202 times)

90snostalga

Dreamcast VMU
« on: September 19, 2013, 07:24:16 pm »
Anyone know of anywhere that you can obtain a modded Dreamcast VMU with a back light?  I'm having trouble playing Resident Evil 2 at night on the Dreamcast because I cannot see the display for my ammo and health on the VMU

soera

Re: Dreamcast VMU
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 07:33:19 pm »
Instead of wasting a ton of money on that DC junk, Resident evil 2 is actually available on a real system - the Playstation! http://www.ebay.com/sch/Video-Games-Consoles-/1249/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=resident+evil+2&_dcat=139973&Platform=Sony%2520PlayStation%25201&rt=nc

sin2beta

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 12:14:50 am »
There are several mods out there. But I don't know anyone selling them. I have to wonder how long the battery would last though... I knew of a guy who tried selling them but the demand just isn't there.

Nice going on the Dreamcast version. Aside from the Gamecube remake, it is my favorite. Much better than the playstation version... I mean look at this playstation screenshot:  :P

Surprisingly, you can also play the original PS version of Metal Gear Solid on a Dreamcast using Bleemcast and achieve better visuals than the PSOne or PS2 outputs the game. Seems even a backdoor hacked version on a SEGA platform is better than an officially made version on a Sony console... that was released later...  :P Sorry, I like picking on Soera.

The screenshot is obviously in jest, but the bleemcast video is true and damn impressive,
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 08:32:00 am »
 ;D at Soera.  I know its on the PlayStation, but I love the Dreamcast version better.  It has better and sharper graphics, better sound quality and I love the VMU feature where I do not have to pause the game to check the status of my health. 

sin2beta, Thanks for the info.  I'll just have to deal with the VMU regular light.  It would be cool to play in the dark and just glance at the VMU when I need to.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 12:54:50 pm »
The Gamecube remakes are excellent as well!  Good luck with the VMU

90snostalga

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 05:05:32 pm »
The Gamecube remakes are excellent as well!  Good luck with the VMU

Thanks Varkias!!  I'll have to keep searching on Ebay to see if a modded VMU pops up.  And I forgot about the Gamecube remakes.  Would you recommend the Gamecube over the Dreamcast one's? 

soera

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 05:44:58 pm »
Gamecube is definitely better than Dreamcast!

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 07:05:10 pm »
... it's the -same friggin' game-. :P

90snostalga

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 08:40:15 pm »
Thanks Soera.  I'm going to try it on Gamecube as well  :D

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 10:56:04 pm »

Agreed. On both the game and system. The Gamecube RE games are amazing. Moreover, the Gamecube is a totally top notch system.

soera

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 11:25:52 pm »
The Gamecube is actually my favorite Nintendo brand system. The controllers are pretty comfortable, the game selection is smaller than most but fairly packed with good options and when you add the GB player, you have access to so many other games and can play them on a TV.

90snostalga

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 07:26:41 am »

Agreed. On both the game and system. The Gamecube RE games are amazing. Moreover, the Gamecube is a totally top notch system.

@sin2 beta, I checked out your youtube page.  Are you ever going to put a video on there as a game room tour of your collection or something?  I like watching those on youtube sometimes.

sin2beta

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 12:06:25 pm »

@sin2 beta, I checked out your youtube page.  Are you ever going to put a video on there as a game room tour of your collection or something?  I like watching those on youtube sometimes.

Yeah, I do plan on it. But it will probably be a while. I'm keeping an eye out for a nice deal on a video camera. And I'm also learning about cameras. I know nothing about them. Plus, most of my collection is not interesting. The most interesting part is how I actually have the consoles hooked up. And I'm not quite finished with that. Those are two primary things.

Then the other thing is I've been working on a series to explore the SG-1000 games. This is taking time from other videos. But I think is something that should be done. There is nothing out there about the SG-1000 on youtube or, really, even the web. I'm having a hell of a time researching this stuff. Even the great channel Chrontendo, which set out to play every Nintendo, Sega, and Turbografx, game. Skipped the SG1000. Which is weird since the SG1000 was released the same day as the famicom, which is the starting point of the chrontendo timeline. So, Ive been working on the rather stupidly named series, SG-Awesome. I'm hoping to get an intro video out by Monday and then do weekly videos after that. The ultimate goal is to have a video exploring every SG-1000 game. I'm going by catalog number to gain a sense of development and historical perspective. I've found a lot of cool stuff about the games so far and found some games, such as starjacker, that should never have been forgotten.

But once the series kind of get into a work pattern and locate equipment, I plan to due a room tour, monthly pickups, etc. I really like interacting with the youtube community. I also like watching gameroom videos.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:09:16 pm by sin2beta »

90snostalga

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 03:27:49 pm »
Ah cool  :D  Can't wait to check out the vids, but I have no idea what SG-1000 is, so I guess I"ll learn something  ;)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 07:26:01 pm »
Ah cool  :D  Can't wait to check out the vids, but I have no idea what SG-1000 is, so I guess I"ll learn something  ;)

Sega's first home console, released in 1983, but exclusive to Japan. A few of the more popular games for it were re-released on Sega Master System in English, though.