Author Topic: The game behind the name?  (Read 6704 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

The game behind the name?
« on: September 23, 2013, 03:50:32 pm »
So, what's the origin/backstory of everyone's user-names...here or elsewhere?

Mine should *really* be pretty un-exciting & self-explanatory  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

haloofthesun

Re: The game behind the name?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 03:51:52 pm »
I'm a composer, and the first piece of music I wrote was called "Halo of the Sun". I'm not very familiar with the Silent Hill series, but I've been told that's some sort of thing to do with Silent Hill and most people assume that's what my name is from, but it's not :P

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 03:54:55 pm »
I'm a composer, and the first piece of music I wrote was called "Halo of the Sun". I'm not very familiar with the Silent Hill series, but I've been told that's some sort of thing to do with Silent Hill and most people assume that's what my name is from, but it's not :P

That's neat.

What kind of music do you compose?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 03:56:01 pm »
Not sure if Ive mentioned this before ... but mine is actually from a game too. Miracle warriors on the SMS. On the map is the list of all the cities and continents. One of them is called Areos. Its the name I used for my very first EQ character. I then wanted to make a character to play at the same time so I flipped the spelling to Soera. That name is the name that followed me to DDO and then to all my forums.

scott

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 03:58:35 pm »
My parents gave me my name.  ;)
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

thomascozine

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 05:41:56 pm »
Was gonna say the same thing. I don't use usernames/screen names. I use my real name.

foxhack

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 06:05:37 pm »
I like foxes.

I like game hacking.

Voila.

I have another name that I haven't really used for several years but it's kind of a boring backstory so bleh.

90snostalga

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 06:27:55 pm »
I miss my child hood from the 80s and mainly 90s  :(

90snostalga

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 06:29:27 pm »

That's hilarious  :D

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 06:37:09 pm »
I just thought it sounded cool years back, and I've used it for a username on many websites.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 08:08:51 pm »
Oheao was a name me and my brother came up with. I think it sounds pretty unique.

pacpix

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 08:41:40 pm »
Well I bought a copy of Pac-Pix for DS 5 years ago when I was in sixth grade.  After that I started collecting Pac-Man stuff, which brought me to retro gaming again.  My account name on Runescape was PacPix5 so on every site after that it has been PacPix.  My old online name from when I played toontown (Which sadly just closed, but a private server is being made) and neopets was Justin835722 ha.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

jobocan

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 09:33:35 pm »
Someone back in high school (which is estimated to have happened 50 million years ago), one of my friends randomly called me Jobocan during some school break, and it stuck. Nothing too exciting...
There is the fact that Joe Bocan is actually an actress/pop singer that used to be popular here in Quebec in the early 90s, but it doesn't have anything to do with it :P

sin2beta

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 09:41:26 pm »
Mine is based on math. Most people read sin as in original sin instead of sine cosine tangent. However, it is the nerdy math pronunciation. It comes from when I was working at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center with the BaBar collaboration measuring CP Violation. About 5 years of my life was based on this trigonometric measurement. Which in hindsight seems kind of sad. But I enjoyed it... I'm a nerd. It comes from stuff like this: http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ex/9912002 Or as seen in this picture

I've kept the name because surprisingly, no one ever picks this name and it is always free. Imagine that... ::)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:44:06 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

pacpix

Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)