Author Topic: RPG games to play  (Read 2649 times)

90snostalga

RPG games to play
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:35:18 pm »
So I am in the middle of playing Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System.  This was recommended to me last month and I am highly enjoying it so far.  I played Golvellius last month and beat it and was great!  Not fantastic but 7/10.  So far I will give Phantasy Star a 8/10.  So my question is, would any of you RPG fans recommended me to play all of the Phantasy Star games that follow in order?  And would you suggest Final Fantasy for the NES or any other RPG's that began on the classic systems?  I remember playing Final Fantasy 7 or 8 on the Playstation and I hated it!! >:(  But I don't know if maybe that's because that was the first one I played.  Thanks for any help!!   ;D

90snostalga

Re: RPG games to play
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 06:38:57 pm »
I forgot to mention, I heard there are several unknown or low known excellent RPG games on the Sega Genesis.  I heard Beggar Prince, Centy Crusader.  If you have any RPG suggestions for the Genesis, that would be great! 

soera

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 08:54:30 pm »
RPGs are what I do. Since you mentioned the SMS, I would like to recommend Miracle warriors. Its a one of kind rpg but its pretty cool.

The rest of the Phantasy star games are decent but the first one is by far and away the best imo.

If you are going to do Final fantasy, I wouldnt start with 1, 2, 3, or 5 unless you are going to give them a chance for their simplicity or their age. 4, 6, and 7 however are timeless.

Dragon warrior is almost in the same boat although the only simplistic one is the first one. VII and VIII are my favorites in the series (VIII is probably the most popular DQ game out there).

Centy is more of a Zelda clone than a traditional style RPG. Its okay, I didnt really enjoy it as much as another Zelda clone, Golden axe warrior. Its probably better than Zelda 1 itself.

Other games to try are : Super mario rpg, Chrono trigger/cross, Breath of fire 1-4, Lunar games (pre DS), Sword of vermilion (another quirky one of a kind rpg on the Genesis), Suikoden II, Ys books I&II (action style of rpg but fantastic for its audio and weird attack style), Magic knight Rayearth.

Also if you dont mind newer gen games or dungeon crawler rpgs, Ni no kuni is the greatest game ever. Plus Baldur's gate dark alliance 1/2, Champions of Norrath 1/2, Diablo (the one on the PS1 is horrible however).

Ive probably missed some (Disgaeniac probably has some different recommendations cause he plays a different style of rpg than I normally do) but this is a good classic start.

*EDIT* Going to add one to the list that totally missed my train of thought. Destiny of an emperor. Very cool game, awesome fight style, lots of potential group members (although only certain generals actually can level up).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:18:36 pm by soera »

sin2beta

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 09:31:53 pm »
I figure I would chime in since I moderately enjoy Golvellius (would probably give it a 7 as well... maybe 6) and really enjoyed Phantasy Star (I would give it a 10... but realistically and objectively would give it a 9). I also hated Final Fantasy 7. So, we are fairly similar so far.

Somewhat Modern JRPGs... but not full on FF7:
The SEGA CD is your friend. Lunar and Popful Mail are wonderful games. The other Phantasy Star games are really good in that they are more of Phantasy Star for the SMS. Phantasy Star 2 is pretty much the same... but not quite as good. PSIII is often considered skippable. I really liked it, but if you get bored... skip it. PSIV is considered a classic. Also, believe it or not, Pokemon. The original are very good old style RPG games. Haven't played and can't speak on the new ones.

Old School 8-bit
Check out FF and Dragon Warrior on the NES. They are very 8-bit RPG.

Wait... I actually like action RPG games!
If you dislike FF7, you may not be a JRPG fan. And that is fine... despite what the majority thinks.  :P Everyone seems to be a JRPG fan/collector. But if you mentioned Golvelius and are looking at Crusader of Centy, you may like adventure games with a tad of RPG mixed in. Check out Monster World 4 (one of my favorite series), Snatcher, and Shadowrun. You might also check out Shenmue... allow yourself time to get used to the controls.

Also, check out Link's Awakening and Link to the Past. Link's Awakening is my personal favorite and amazing.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

haloofthesun

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 09:58:19 pm »
There are loads of great RPGs and it sounds like you're going for the more traditional JRPG (turn-based battles, leveling up, plot-heavy, often melodramatic) rather than other kinds, but I'm going to list every RPG of any kind that I personally enjoy on each console that I've played. This may not be helpful, but it may be a good resource for you to use to find things that you may enjoy yourself. At the very least, I'm bored lol, so :P

3DS (Not a lot on this yet, and even fewer that I've played)
Bravely Default (not released in the US yet, but very similar to Final Fantasy - JRPG)
Code of Princess (hesitant to list this, as it isn't entirely an RPG, more like a Beat 'em Up with RPG elements - fun nonetheless)
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (very difficult but easier than 1,2, and 3 - Dungeon Crawler)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (very good, very polished, Fire Emblem fans tend to be a bit divisive on this one, but a personal favorite - Tactical RPG)
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (hybrid JRPG and Action RPG - very fun)

DS (a goldmine for modern RPGs and remakes)
Avalon Code (Action RPG)
Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled (JRPG)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (Action RPG/Platformer)
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (Action RPG/Platformer)
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (Action RPG/Platformer)
Children of Mana (a bit mindless, but fun - Action RPG)
Chrono Trigger (JRPG)
Dragon Quest 4, 5, 6, 9 (JRPG)
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 1 and 2
Etrian Odyssey 1, 2, and 3 (Dungeon Crawler)
Final Fantasy III (JRPG)
Final Fantasy IV (JRPG)
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift (Tactical RPG)
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light (surprisingly fun, albeit light-hearted - JRPG)
Infinite Space (RTS-RPG hybrid thing)
Legacy of Ys: Books I & II (Action RPG)
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Nostalgia (JRPG)
Radiant Historia (JRPG)
Rondo of Swords (Tactical RPG)
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (Tactical RPG)

Game Boy Advance
Breath of Fire 1, 2 (JRPG)
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Action RPG/Platformer)
Final Fantasy V Advance
Final Fantasy VI Advance
Fire Emblem (Tactical RPG)
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon (remake of Shining Force 1 on Genesis - Tactical RPG)
Sword of Mana (Action RPG)
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis (Tactical RPG)

Gamecube
Baten Kaitos "1 and 2" (JRPG)
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (Tactical RPG)
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Tales of Symphonia

N64
Ogre Battle 64 (Tactical RPG)
Paper Mario

PS1
Arc the Lad Collection (Tactical RPG)
Azure Dreams (JRPG)
Breath of Fire 3 and 4
Brigandine: Legend of Forsena (Tactical RPG)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Action RPG)
Chrono Cross (JRPG)
Dragon Warrior VII
Final Fantasy 7 and 9 (I personally don't like 8, and you said you didn't like 7 or 8, so might not be for you. 9 is a personal favorite of mine)
Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP version is best though - Tactical RPG)
Legend of Mana
Suikoden 1 and 2
Vagrant Story (Action RPG)
Valkyrie Profile
Wild Arms 1 and 2
Xenogears

PS2
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2 (Action RPG)
Baroque (Action RPG)
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Champions of Norrath
Champions: Return to Arms
Dark Cloud 1 and 2 (Action RPG)
Dragon Quest 8
Suikoden 3, 4, 5
Wild Arms 3, 4, 5
Xenosaga 1,2,3

PS3
3D Dot Game Heroes (Action RPG)
Diablo 3
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

PSP
Final Fantasy 1 and 2 remakes
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection (includes The After Years plus updated graphics for all 3 games, though not remade in 3D like the DS version)
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Gungnir
Jeanne d'Arc
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Valkyria Chronicles II
Valkyrie Pofile: Lenneth
Wild Arms XF
Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys 7

Sega CD
Dark Wizard (obscure, but very very good - Tactical RPG)
Popful Mail (Action RPG)
Shining Force CD
Vay

Sega Genesis
Master of Monsters (Tactical RPG)
Phantasy Star 2, 3, 4
Shining Force 1, 2

SNES
The 7th Saga (very difficult, but highly fun if you can deal with the frustration of being killed over and over - JRPG)
ActRaiser 1 and 2
Arabian Nights
Bahamut Lagoon
Brain Lord
Brandish 1 and 2
Breath of Fire 1 and 2
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest I & II
Dragon Quest III, IV, V, VI
E.V.O.: The Search for Eden
Energy Breaker
Equinox
Feda: The Emblem of Justice
Final Fantasy II (actually IV)
Final Fantasy III (actually VI)
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (incredibly simplistic, but something charming about it)
Illusion of Gaia
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
Mystic Ark
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
Paladin's Quest
Robotrek
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana 1, 2
Secret of the Stars
Soul Blazer
Super Mario RPG
Terranigma
Treasure of the Rudras

Wii
Arc Rise Fantasia
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Fragile Dreams: Farewell to the Moon
The Last Story
Monster Lab
Pandora's Tower
Xenoblade Chronicles

Xbox 360
Dragon Age: Origins
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Eternal Sonata
Lost Odyssey
The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings

Many of the PS3 and 360 ones are interchangeable, those are just the platforms I happened to play these games on. The choices on the NES are pretty obvious, and there aren't really all that many good ones, in my opinion. You've probably heard of all the ones worth playing so I didn't bother listing them. You could make an argument for  Zelda games being action RPGs, but I don't consider them that, so neglected to mention them.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:59:51 pm by haloofthesun »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 12:29:16 am »
I'm going to start off saying I'm not at all an RPG guy, but there are some I've been into over the years.

Dragon Warrior I-IV on the NES These were all fun to me. The GameBoy Color versions of 1&2 had less grinding. So check those out.

Final fantasy 2&3 on the SNES  These are 4&6 if you ask an RPG Guy, but the have 2&3 on the label. So It's 2&3. 3 is one of my favorite games on the SNES and that's saying something.

Chrono Trigger on the SNES. Get this game and quit talking about it

Earthbound on the SNES  It's expensive so just emulate it find another way to play it. Very fun and quirky RPG.

Mario RPG on the SNES  It's just fun

Kingdom Hearts series  I'm playing this right now and I love the shit out of it. I can't get enough.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 12:14:58 pm »
Keep going with Phantasy Star!!  You won't regret it if you enjoy the original.  Crusader of Centy is an excellent game but also very expensive.  I would go so far as to say it's better than Zelda, except in the music department.

If you haven't played the Shining Force games on Genesis you should!  Shadowrun and Landstalker are also great rpgs for that system. <3 Genesis
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:18:05 pm by varkias »

90snostalga

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 03:34:18 pm »
Thanks so much for the information everyone  :D 

@ soera, I'm going to look into those games you mentioned.  I had a chance to get that Miracle Warriors on the SMS one time, but passed up on it.  The only reason I did, is because I haven't heard too much good about that game.  You have given the most praise that I have ever read, but since you did, I'm going to grab that one on Ebay when the chance comes, and play it!  :D  And thank you so much for clarifying Diablo on the PlayStation.  I plan to build me a gaming computer within a few years, made to play old and new games and I wanted to try the Diablo series.  I found recently that it was on PlayStation, but was not sure about it compared to PC.  Thanks!

@ Sin2beta I did complete Shen Mue on the Dreamcast and I loved it!! 10/10 and one my favorite games!  I can't wait to play the second one.  I have it on Xbox, just haven't gotten around to it yet.  As far as Pokemon, one of my favorites!  Loved the show and the games!  I'm still working my way to complete all those.  Same for Dragon Warrior on NES.  I played the first and began the second.  One day, I plan to finish the second and work my way through 3 and 4 and complete that series.  And when I come across  a Sega cd system, I'll grab those games and check them out.  I found one Sega CD game and a Good will (eye of the beholder) but that's about it. 

As far as the rest of the Phantasy Star series, I think after the 1st, I will try the second, and see how it goes.  If I love the second, I will continue playing it.  I think that maybe I did not hate Final Fantasy 7 or 8 on the PS1 when I played it, I remember being so confused just after 10 minutes of gameplay, that I was like "What the **** is going on this game!" that I got frustrated and traded it back in to GameStop lol

@ haloofthesun, thanks for breaking it down for each system.  I used to have Paper Mario on the GameCube as a kid for a short time and I loved that freaking game!! :D ONe of my favorites!  But I had to be stupid and sold all my GameCube stuff back in like 04 or something.  I used to play Wind Waker all the time and I loved it too!

As far as the Kingdom Hearts games Turf mentioned, I picked up one for the DS a few months ago from a thrift shop and I researched and seen they came out for PS2 first.  I'm going to began a Kingdom Hearts series sometimes in my life hopefully soon.

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 08:15:13 pm »
I really liked King's Field for the PS1. You might too, I'm not sure.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 08:32:01 pm »

I LOVE the King's Field games. There's also a sequel on PS1, and a 3rd game on PS2.

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 09:31:48 pm »

I LOVE the King's Field games. There's also a sequel on PS1, and a 3rd game on PS2.

Yeah, and a few that were Japanese exclusive.

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 09:49:08 pm »
@ Sin2beta I did complete Shen Mue on the Dreamcast and I loved it!! 10/10 and one my favorite games!  I can't wait to play the second one.  I have it on Xbox, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I usually list that as my favorite game of all time. Although it kind of switches between that, Phantasy Star, Comix Zone, and StarCraft. But Shenmue was one of the most memorable games. It is the only time where I got so sucked into a game that it became an event. I remember completing it and just feeling overwhelmed and having a sense of melancholy.

Sadly, I've decided to make the Mega64 Ending canon in my personal version of Shenmue... I also think it's hilarious that Yu Suzuki actually says all that stuff.

UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 03:02:17 pm »
@ Sin2beta I did complete Shen Mue on the Dreamcast and I loved it!! 10/10 and one my favorite games!  I can't wait to play the second one.  I have it on Xbox, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I usually list that as my favorite game of all time. Although it kind of switches between that, Phantasy Star, Comix Zone, and StarCraft. But Shenmue was one of the most memorable games. It is the only time where I got so sucked into a game that it became an event. I remember completing it and just feeling overwhelmed and having a sense of melancholy.

Sadly, I've decided to make the Mega64 Ending canon in my personal version of Shenmue... I also think it's hilarious that Yu Suzuki actually says all that stuff.

lol ;D thats funny!! 

Shenmue is 100 percent a top 5 game of mine for all time but, the only thing i did not like about the game was that, I thought, maybe it should of had even more of a world to explore??  Like, the slots were fun, the different business you could go to, mini arcade and dart games, having a job was very well like real life!, but I thought it should of had more of a free world and more of a world to explore???  other than that, still 10/10 game

ffxik

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 04:03:43 am »
Halo laid out one heck of a list, still he forgot some.

PS1
Persona
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete.
Legend of Legaia
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Destiny 2

PS2
Shin Megami Tensei
  .Digital Devil Saga
  .Digital Devil Saga 2
  .Nocturne
  .Devil Summoner
  .Devil Summoner 2
  .Persona 3
  .Persona 4
Growlanser Generations
.hack 1-4
.hack//G.U. 1-3
Legaia 2: Duel Saga
Arc the Lad: Twilight of Spirits
Atelier Iris 1,2,3
Mana Khemia 1,2
Shining Force EXA
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Legendia

Shenmue on the Dreamcast deserves props, but lets not forget Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:57:58 am by ffxik »

darko

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 03:13:32 pm »
I'm going to take a stab at giving you a top 5 for the systems I'm more familiar with. A few of them might not technically qualify as a true RPG experience to some, but meh...should still be fun! Some of these would require purchasing repro carts/emulation (unless you can read Japanese). I wont list anything that's impossible to find. Also, if there are remakes, etc of any - I'll match the titles the appropriate system in order to achieve the best experience. You wont find any Zelda games in here, although you should play them if you haven't. Most of the games mentioned before my post are amazing - these are just a few that I've found break the mold a bit (in a good way) and/or come close to perfecting a RPG experience.

These aren't really in order :)

NES
1. Sweet Home
2. Destiny of an Emperor
3. Crystalis
4. Dragon Warrior 3
5. Dragon Warrior 4

SNES
1. Breath of Fire 2
2. Terranigma
3. Illusion of Gaia
4. Secret of Evermore
5. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

GBA
1. Breath of Fire
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Golden Sun
4. Tales of Phantasia
5. Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon

DS
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
3. Radiant Historia
4. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
5. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Genesis
1. Phantasy Star IV
2. Shining Force II
3. Pier Solar
4. Beggar Prince
5. Shadowrun

Sega CD
1. Vay
2. Popful Mail
3. Shining Force CD
4. Lunar: The Silver Star
5. Lunar: Eternal Blue

PS1
1. Legend of Dragoon
2. Suikoden II
3. Xenogears
4. Legend of Legaia
5. Parasite Eve

PS2
1. Final Fantasy XII
2. SMT: Nocturne
3. SMT: Digital Devil Saga
4. Shadow Hearts
5. SMT: Persona 4

PSP
1. SMT: Persona 3
2. Star Ocean: First Departure
3. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
4. Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
5. Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Since I only did 5 per system, I will point out that some of these systems have so many awesome games that I had to make a few tough decisions. The PS1, PS2, PSP, and DS are extremely RPG heavy. The SNES is has a few others that are amazing as well, and shouldn't be overlooked.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:21:00 pm by darko »