Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 7767 times)

Wii U
« on: November 03, 2013, 04:11:29 pm »
Do you think the holiday line up will turn the Wii U around?
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Wii U
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 04:13:57 pm »
I'm already sold on it, personally. I'm just waiting to see what happens this Christmas, first. I might be getting one, since I mentioned the possibility buying Kingrat's Sega CD a week or so back to my wife, and she told me I should hold off on getting any consoles.

Upcoming new Zelda, New Super Mario Wii U, New Super Luigi, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Returns 2, Rayman Legends, and now there's even rumblings of a new Metroid on the horizon. How can you not be excited about that kind of an exclusive game line-up?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 04:16:13 pm by burningdoom »

azure

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 04:16:13 pm »
I think it will, I'm actually planning on getting one this holiday season.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 05:53:16 pm »
I got one last Christmas. I love it. I wish there were more games, but I really dig it.  I just had to get used to the idea of it being used solely for first party Nintendo games. Third party support seems to just be a dream these days.

insektmute

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 12:01:36 am »
I'm planning to grab one sometime this coming year, I think. There aren't a ton of games I want, but enough, and after seeing how the Xbone turned out, I figure I'll be siding with the PS4 and Wii U this gen.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 08:31:32 am »
I want a Wii U but I was wonder yours opinion if the sales will raise to an acceptable level because of the holiday line up?
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

insektmute

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 03:47:35 pm »
I don't think the holiday line-up will make an impact in any capacity. System sellers are what's needed, and for most people I know, Wind Waker HD is the only big Must Have of what's actually going to be available this year.

It's enough to make me want one, but then, I also missed out on getting it on GameCube, so...

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 07:42:52 pm »
Sales in Japan Exploded from just Wii Party U, about 15 times.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 10:27:13 pm »
I really do like the wii u, I think it has a lot of potential especially if developers utilize the controller more. I think that some of these games will really help the wii u's sales, but I also don't think Nintendo really needs to worry about the competition just yet. Not to hurt anyone's feeling or anything but the PS4 really doesn't have a whole lot of must have games at it's launch and we all know what kind of trouble the Xbox one is in right now...
P.S. Holy crap! I really am hoping for a new Metroid, there's way too much potential with the controller and HD to not have a Metroid game

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 06:13:48 am »
I think the current line up is good on the Wii U....  As long as they keep a steady pace from this point forward I see no problems....  I'm more concerned with 3rd party support however....

jobocan

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 08:33:24 am »
I'm more concerned with 3rd party support however....

Meh. The last time Nintendo had truly solid 3rd party support was 17 years ago. They've carried their last 3 systems with their own games almost exclusively, and they'll probably be doing it again with the Wii U.

The Wii U is a nice system though and already has quite a few really good games (Pikmin, Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World) and a lot of great stuff upcoming (Zelda, Mario 3D World, Smash, Kart, Bayonetta 2), I hope it does start doing better. Rumors are that the new bundles in the US are selling really well, we'll see how that actually turns out.

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 01:48:06 pm »
I'm more concerned with 3rd party support however....

Meh. The last time Nintendo had truly solid 3rd party support was 17 years ago. They've carried their last 3 systems with their own games almost exclusively, and they'll probably be doing it again with the Wii U.

The Wii U is a nice system though and already has quite a few really good games (Pikmin, Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World) and a lot of great stuff upcoming (Zelda, Mario 3D World, Smash, Kart, Bayonetta 2), I hope it does start doing better. Rumors are that the new bundles in the US are selling really well, we'll see how that actually turns out.

That may be true, but my top 5 favorite games on EVERY nintendo system ever have all been 3rd party, right down to the Wii U and Gamecube.... So at least for me, they need to at least have decent 3rd party support because my wii selection without things like No More Heroes 1/2, Pandora's Tower, Last Story, Fragile Dreams, etc; I would be quite unhappy....  Can't survive on Smash and Metroid Trilogy alone....

insektmute

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 03:44:27 pm »

I wish more people would acknowledge this, though I would go even further and say they've been lacking in this area since the N64. Too often, I see people cite stuff like MadWorld or Batman as some kind of rebuttal, and it just doesn't wash when compared with the deluge of choices available on PlayStation and Xbox.

That said, Bayonetta 2 has me frothing at the mouth. WANT.

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 07:22:47 pm »

I wish more people would acknowledge this, though I would go even further and say they've been lacking in this area since the N64. Too often, I see people cite stuff like MadWorld or Batman as some kind of rebuttal, and it just doesn't wash when compared with the deluge of choices available on PlayStation and Xbox.

That said, Bayonetta 2 has me frothing at the mouth. WANT.

they had rare in the N64 era though, but they were 2nd party.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

insektmute

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 07:39:45 pm »
A handful of companies giving a tiny sliver of support, especially if the games are side-entries in a series or lightly modified ports, isn't the same as having a strong third-party library, though. This is a problem that they've been struggling with for a very long time now, and they don't seem to be making progress in turning that around.

What's so sad about that is that they do an absolutely fantastic job of it with handhelds, but then, they've also done a much better job of creating handhelds that are really alluring to developers in terms of cost and risk. Yokoi's philosophy of utilizing cheap, outdated hardware works great in that capacity, but it doesn't hold up very well when applied to modern console development, especially now that most companies are firmly committed to creating multiplatform games.