Author Topic: What If Retron 5 Promoted New "Old" Games?  (Read 1630 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

What If Retron 5 Promoted New "Old" Games?
« on: November 05, 2013, 08:03:42 pm »
For those that don't know, the Retron 5 is an upcoming console that will support NES, SNES, Super Famicom, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and GBA cartridges on one system. That in itself is pretty cool and all, but those that have played past Retron systems know they aren't perfect and the original consoles are usually better.

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-RetroN-Gaming-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00DZIX394/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383699759&sr=8-2&keywords=retron+5

If Retron really wanted to make the Retron 5 special, they should try and get new games made for the formats it supports (either on their own, or through third-parties). And advertise them. Maybe even throw in an all-new pack-in game. I know I'd snatch one up, if they put an all-new pack-in title, despite already owning a working NES, SNES, Genesis, and GBA.

We've seen enough homebrew carts and repro-carts done in the last few years. Companies like Konami and Capcom probably won't get in on it (would be great, though, wouldn't it?), but smaller companies that already cater to the retro crowd could. And they would probably reach a bigger audience by doing so.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:05:27 pm by burningdoom »

90snostalga

Re: What If Retron 5 Promoted New "Old" Games?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:38:16 pm »
I had no idea about this console.  Supporting all those formats is awesome!  :)  I'm in hte process of shopping for an original japanese famicom console to play Mother on, but this may do.   Tho' I have heard nothing but bad things about the Retron.  I think if they promoted new cartridge games, it would be a great thing!  I'm on board with the new cartridge games.

sin2beta

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 09:42:00 pm »
I think it is a cool idea. But probably a bad business idea. You would pretty much need dev kits for consoles owned by another company. Sure there are some homebrew games. But most are hacks. Very few are legitimate. This probably brings on legal trouble.

I have wanted something like this though. If Sega were to enter the console ring. I would want a literal Dreamcast 2. The same system, although connected online with an open dev kit. Sega just gets money off of each downloaded game. Given all the emulators, Sega could have their own virtual console. And it has one of the healthiest homebrew movements. So, I do like the idea. It's just difficult for Hyperkin (or whoever does the Retron again).

@90s. I would suggest getting a translated repro cart (Or flashcart). Mother is not a game for people learning Japanese. If I remember right it relies very heavily on puns. Not quite to the level of something like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. But really up there.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:21:05 pm »
I think it is a cool idea. But probably a bad business idea. You would pretty much need dev kits for consoles owned by another company. Sure there are some homebrew games. But most are hacks. Very few are legitimate. This probably brings on legal trouble.

I have wanted something like this though. If Sega were to enter the console ring. I would want a literal Dreamcast 2. The same system, although connected online with an open dev kit. Sega just gets money off of each downloaded game. Given all the emulators, Sega could have their own virtual console. And it has one of the healthiest homebrew movements. So, I do like the idea. It's just difficult for Hyperkin (or whoever does the Retron again).

@90s. I would suggest getting a translated repro cart (Or flashcart). Mother is not a game for people learning Japanese. If I remember right it relies very heavily on puns. Not quite to the level of something like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. But really up there.

Thanks for the suggestion.  What does "puns" mean?  Do you know of a Famicom game with basic japanese to recommend?  I read that the Famicom games don't have Kanji in them.  I have been doing great with the Katakana and Hiragana words and letters.  I have only done a few basic Kanji so I wanted to try a Famicom game and work through it even if it takes 5 minutes for me to read a sentence.  It's sort of a way for me to practice Japanese too as well as enjoy some great foreign titles

sin2beta

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 11:44:09 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.  What does "puns" mean?

Two fish are in a tank. One says to the other, “Err...so how do you drive this thing?” That's a pun. Tank is a word with multiple meanings. You think the fish are in an aquarium. However, they are actually in a military tank. Really difficult to read.

I don't know many famicom games. Once you get a little far I would pick something that has a lot of walkthroughs and a rough translation. I don't know many famicom games. Maybe Final Fantasy 2 and 3?
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 10:24:15 am »
I agree on the finding of something with a detailed walk through. I played most of Jump Superstars with a translation guide and it really helped and near the end of it I was starting to catch on to it. Though I look at it now and I don't know any of it again... I never finished the story mode though, so I may find that guide again and start it up again eventually.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 06:11:53 am »
I have seen this happen with 3rd party systems in the past....  There was a version of one FC system that had some cartridges that were loaded with terrible games they sold....  Also along the lines of the Retron 5, I have sold many other Retron models and I would be MUCH happier if they simply focused on the quality of the hardware instead....  I often times don't even want to sell a lot of the 3rd party hardware we have because of shoddy quality and high defective rates....

tpugmire

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 05:35:55 pm »
As I understand it, the previous Retron consoles were NOAC based, and were only as good as the current chip revision. This led to several different hardware revisions for the same console, but the only way to tell which one you had was to open it up. This new console is Android-based, which already has excellent compatibility with most of the troublesome games. Plus, with the addition of a SD card slot, it should allow for firmware updates. I'm keeping an eye on this, and am remaining cautiously optimistic about it.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 07:30:51 pm »
As I understand it, the previous Retron consoles were NOAC based, and were only as good as the current chip revision. This led to several different hardware revisions for the same console, but the only way to tell which one you had was to open it up. This new console is Android-based, which already has excellent compatibility with most of the troublesome games. Plus, with the addition of a SD card slot, it should allow for firmware updates. I'm keeping an eye on this, and am remaining cautiously optimistic about it.

True, but at the end of the day it is still just an emulation....  It can't be any better than an emulator run on a PC, so really all you're getting is the novelty of a box and controller for a TV....  You can get USB controllers cheaper and emulate all the games on a PC....  Then you wouldn't even put wear on your cartridges for an inferior experience....  Without proper hardware, I just don't see how people won't get turned to PC emulation....  Even though I own over 90% of what I play, I find it hard after looking into the system to use it rather than the original hardware/PC emulator....  While it is a go between, it does not surpass the strong points of either....  I think that will be it's biggest weakness....  I've already spoken with several collector's who experiment with new hardware a lot and all of them are completely brushing it off already....  Doesn't look too promising....