Author Topic: Share Your Old Gaming Magzines Here!  (Read 1689 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Share Your Old Gaming Magzines Here!
« on: January 14, 2014, 01:26:07 pm »
I stole this idea from another board, and decided to do one of my own since it was a pretty awesome idea. Feel free to add some your own. I love old magazines!

This is one of my personal favorite issues from my collection, lots of nostalgia attached to this as this was basically a buying guide for me as I bought my Dreamcast (the first brand-new console I bought with my own money from lawn-mowing).

Electronic Gaming Monthly #123 - October 1999

Inner, unfoldable cover - Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation:

Table of Contents:

And in the news for the month:

AT&T Teams up with Sega to present SegaNET!

Nintendo's new mysterious "Dolphin" console (becomes the GameCube) gets some space. Mario is planned for a more mature outing (when did that happen?), and Pac-Man comes to the Neo Geo Pocket Color:

PS2 will not get a modem built-in  :(  , and Nintendo releases a Tommy Hilfiger Game Boy Color?!

Some previews and reviews:

Slave Zero for Dreamcast:

Zelda Gaiden for N64 (which I'm assuming became Majora's Mask):

N64 previews: Castlevania Special Edition and Jet Force Gemini:

Chrono Cross for PS1:

Final Fantasy VIII for PS1:

And the cover article: Spider-Man:

Some gaming-related action figures that released that month:

Tips & Cheats Section:

Top 20 Games for the Month:

Some ads:

Thousand Arms for PS1:

Final Fantasy VIII for PS1:

Duke Nukem: Zero Hour for N64:

Fighting Force 2:

Soul Calibur for Dreamcast:

Rayman 2:

A completely '90s ad for GameStop:

And an Electronics Boutique ad, when it and GameStop were 2 different stores!

Game prices really haven't changed much.

This is just to show how large gaming magazines used to be. A whopping 267 pages, and there were still some un-numbered ad pages following that!

The back cover, an awesome Dino Crisis ad:

For those curious about the WWF Atttiude insert, I still have it, too! Basically a mini-strategy guide that came free with the magazine.

Share some of your own!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 04:20:55 pm by burningdoom »

Re: Share Your Old Gaming Magzines Here!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 08:37:10 pm »
I moved this last fall and just found the boxes with all my old game mags. Will post the entire collection on here soon. I still need to post pics of my game room too lol.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:52:42 pm »
wow, now you gave me a reason to find mines, I have been collecting the gameinformer magazines since gamestop gave it for only 9.99 (at that time), but also I have some gamepro and tips & tricks, hope to find some

soera

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 10:27:28 pm »
I have some old mags still. Almost the entire Turbo grafx magazine set (3 different magazines in the set. Duo world, Turbo Force, and Turbo play. Duo world only had 3 issues of which I have 2, Turbo force has 4 issues which I have 3, and Turbo play has 14 issues which I have 8. They suck to find and are definitely less common than Nintendo power). Speaking of Nintendo power, I have issue 1 and 285 (first and last). Got some issues of Game pro including the big FFVII issue, about 40 or so issues of Game informer, and almost every issue of Walmart Game center. Even have 2 issues of the big Retro magazine from the UK. The  Bubble bobble issue and the Master system issue.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 11:12:26 pm »
I have some old mags still. Almost the entire Turbo grafx magazine set (3 different magazines in the set. Duo world, Turbo Force, and Turbo play. Duo world only had 3 issues of which I have 2, Turbo force has 4 issues which I have 3, and Turbo play has 14 issues which I have 8. They suck to find and are definitely less common than Nintendo power). Speaking of Nintendo power, I have issue 1 and 285 (first and last). Got some issues of Game pro including the big FFVII issue, about 40 or so issues of Game informer, and almost every issue of Walmart Game center. Even have 2 issues of the big Retro magazine from the UK. The  Bubble bobble issue and the Master system issue.

I had no idea there was a Magazine for TG16, that is awesome! Not TG, but I'm trying to get my hands on issues of the official Dreamcast Magazine, but those are pretty hard to find, at least for cheap.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 01:39:41 am »
If anyone doesn't mind me giving my two cents...

Wouldn't posting pictures of magazines here be cluttered?  Create a PhotoBucket or any similar account and make the photos/album public so that people here could see your magazine collection photos.  Not that the sharing isn't appreciated, but if you guys do update any of the albums...  Post here and members could marvel at the nostalgia.

I don't know anything about forums or similar sites but I'm pretty sure there are limits and restrictions to how much something is available.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 02:23:40 am »
If anyone doesn't mind me giving my two cents...

Wouldn't posting pictures of magazines here be cluttered?  Create a PhotoBucket or any similar account and make the photos/album public so that people here could see your magazine collection photos.  Not that the sharing isn't appreciated, but if you guys do update any of the albums...  Post here and members could marvel at the nostalgia.

I don't know anything about forums or similar sites but I'm pretty sure there are limits and restrictions to how much something is available.

They're all linked to a Image Shack account, no worries.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 06:52:44 pm »
So for this week's edition of our little classic gaming magazine retrospect we go back to March/April of 1990 with Nintendo Power:

Inner-Cover - Nintendo Power Subscription Ad

What's on the agenda for this month:

Player's Pulse (Letter Pages):

The Consumer Electronic Show Report (This was where the big reveals happened back then, before E3 existed.)

Game Boy Section for Consumer Electronic Show Report:

Howard & Nester Comic:

A Boy and His Blob

Astaynax

Silent Service

Super C (man, I love that artwork!)

Pin-Bot (a personal favorite that I spent many long hours with)

The Cover Story: Super Mario Bros. 3

Wrath of the Black Ninja

Final Fantasy:

Dragon Warrior Text Adventure (continues for a few pages, but 1 pic should give you the idea of what's going on here in this Choose Your Own Adventure type story.)

General Review Section Page (Turbo Racing, The Battle of Olympus (one of my all-time favorite NES games!))

Game Boy Section - Nemesis

Top 30 Games

Just to clarify: The Super Mario Bros. 3 listed here is the Play-Choice 10 Arcade version. The NES version wasn't quite out yet at the publication of this issue.

Nintendo Merchandise Article - Nintendo Cartoon Home VHS's, Game Boy Carrying Case, Four-Score 4-Player Adapter for NES

NES Achievers (Player High Scores)

Counselor's Corner - Player's Get Help in Games From Nintendo Counselor's

And the Illustrious Counselors Themselves

Classified Information (Cheats & Codes)

Sara Gilbert (Roseanne) Profile

NES Power Trivia Quiz

Pak Watch (Upcoming Games): Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos, Crystalis, Rescue Rangers, Golgo 13, Solstice, Castlevania II, Dungeon Magic, Maniac Mansion, Battle Chess

Nintendo Power Back Issue Ad

Next Issue Preview

Nintendo Power Awards '89 Nominees

Back Cover (and, no, that's not me on the subscription label)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:05:06 pm by burningdoom »