Author Topic: Searching for games with colon's in the title  (Read 817 times)

retromangia

PRO Supporter

Searching for games with colon's in the title
« on: January 27, 2014, 02:37:53 am »
Hey Matt & team,

I've noticed a common problem with games involving colon's in the title.  I find some folks don't know when a game should use it in the title, so when they go to search for the game, they can't find it.  This then leads to them submitting a duplicate game entry, now with the wrong punctuation, and usually without a picture... great example here. http://vgcollect.com/item/54258

I was hoping if one day you could make the search engine a little smarter?  For instance, using the game above as an example... (DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi).. I would love for one day to just be able to type in "Tenkaichi", and have it bring up every game with that in the title.... if you'd like an example of this, head over to http://videogames.pricecharting.com/.   I'm sure it's easier said than done, but is there any chance this could happen in the future?

thanks guys!

-Retromangia

Veilor

Re: Searching for games with colon's in the title
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:21:14 am »
I was hoping if one day you could make the search engine a little smarter?  For instance, using the game above as an example... (DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi).. I would love for one day to just be able to type in "Tenkaichi", and have it bring up every game with that in the title....

But the search engine does this now, I typed in tenkaichi and got all the games.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 06:44:05 am »
Also, when you submit an item it gives you an option for an alternative title. I've used it for exactly the reason the OP mentioned - colon's in titles.

I assumed the purpose of the alternative title was for when situations like this come up and their are different ways of writing a games name. Perhaps a mod could clear this up.

Here's an example I did just yesterday. I put the colon in the alternative title.

http://vgcollect.com/item/54249

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 11:39:34 pm »
Thanks Atari Leaf, good to know about that feature.  :D

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 09:27:28 am »
Here's another example where "Alt Name" is useful:

I submitted Track & Field for the Atari XL/XE computers. For Alt Name I put "Track AND Field" so a search for either title with "&" or "and" would work.

I'm assuming so, perhaps a mod can confirm that this would work for searches.

EDIT - Apparently I was wrong. A search for the alt name of "track AND field" did not bring up the Atari XL version, only a search of Track & Field would. I guess the alt name field is not searchable.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:32:33 am by atarileaf »

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 03:49:15 am »
oh wow, thanks for clarifying that Atari.  I figured it was too good to be true.... One good thing this site has done for me is improve my punctuation ;).

In all seriousness, I would love an improved search engine.  Sometimes i sit there for minutes, just trying to guess and figure out how someone might have submitted the item. Especially for odd items like game accessories and such.

- Retromangia