Author Topic: Saturn.  (Read 1654 times)

Saturn.
« on: February 08, 2014, 02:41:14 am »
How is it? How's the games? Is it worth getting? I have recently came to getting a SMS and really like it now I'm thinking Saturn time.. Only problem is seems like I never see anything in the wild for the Saturn.
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

scott

Re: Saturn.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 08:38:26 am »
I think I have 35 more games to go until I  have everything I want for the system.  There are a lot of good Saturn games, but finding them in the wild is tough, unless you go to cons or something. Also a lot of the good good games are spendy.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 09:42:43 am »
Yeah, getting games in the wild is tough. I decided to get imports because I have to get them from ebay anyways. They store better, I like the box art better, and have an overall better selection. I'm just collecting games for it slowly.

The system is great. Especially if you like 90s arcade games.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 09:45:03 am »
The biggest issue for Saturn games is the cases. They are some oddball longbox case and they can be brittle as hell. So finding cases in good condition is hard. No one (that I know of) makes replacement cases for them either.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 09:53:20 am »
I think the worst part about Saturn/Sega CD is the size of the boxes. Im all for some Cover project art and a DVD case but the manuals for those games are simply too tall to fit. Plus finding anything in the wild is definitely a luck shoot.

Some of the most awesome RPGs out there are on the Saturn/CD. Lunar 1&2, Vay, Magic knight Rayearth Ive all played and are great. Albert Odyssey and Popful Mail are supposed to be top notch as well.

sin2beta

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 10:21:55 am »
I also want to point out that the saturn is the only system I know of where more people collect the games outside of their region almost exclusively. (PC-Engine would be second). I was hesitant about going this direction. But it's been a solid decision. US games were always hit and miss on condition. I have never purchased a Japanese game that has been less than pristine.

One tip if you go the import route. Look for people selling individual games for 99 cents starting bids. They will usually have a lot of titles and will combine ship. My average saturn game is probably about $4 shipped for my collection.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 11:00:24 am »
I have collected for both the NTSC and NTSC-J (japanese) Saturn and it is way easier and more affordable to collect for the japanese Saturn. The only downside to collecting the Japanese games is that you are kind of SOL when it comes to the RPGs on the console, unless of course you are fluent in Japanese. However, many of the games are arcade ports or games that require little to no knowledge of the Japanese language. It also has some of the best SHMUPS ever created on it that were released exclusively in Japan. So my advice, collect for the Japanese Saturn and get more games and get them cheaper.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 11:04:05 am »
I agree with all the comments so far. Saturn is quite rare to find in your local city, and if you do it is the same games over and over.

Just like everyone else said - almost every game you buy for cheap locally have the cases busted to hades.

It just comes down to the question: Do you enjoy finding hidden treasures in the wild, or hunting specifically online to find  your games?

Last time I went to Japan it was even hard to track down very many Saturn titles in Akihabara that I didn't already have.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 11:13:06 am »
I agree with all the comments so far. Saturn is quite rare to find in your local city, and if you do it is the same games over and over.

Just like everyone else said - almost every game you buy for cheap locally have the cases busted to hades.

It just comes down to the question: Do you enjoy finding hidden treasures in the wild, or hunting specifically online to find  your games?

Last time I went to Japan it was even hard to track down very many Saturn titles in Akihabara that I didn't already have.

Question, what does your sig (and user name) mean? I was just curious?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 11:24:14 am »
I don't think Saturn is that great to collect for, anymore at least. A few years ago, it was a great system to collect for. But since the retro-gaming boom, I think Saturn has been hit the hardest with inflation.

The games are so hard to find anymore. And the eBay/Amazon prices for the good ones are getting out of control.

We're also getting to the point with these systems that they're starting to go out. I've heard a few stories of people ordering them and the lasers being DOA.

My suggestion would be to be patient and scope out yard sales, thift shops, flea markets, and Craigslist in hopes of coming across a Saturn lot cheap. It's not easy, mind you, but it's better than paying out the nose for these games like you were buying current-gen games.

And yeah, the game cases are a bitch, as people have mentioned. They're almost guaranteed to get broken in shipment. But when you do get them in good shape, they do look quite handsome on your shelf.

However, here's a list of affordable and fun Saturn games (I think they're still affordable):

-Area 51
-Astal
-Daytona USA
-Bug!
-Gex
-Panzer Dragoon (the original, Zwei is a little pricey, and Saga is INSANELY pricey)
-Road Rash
-Tomb Raider
-Virtua Cop 1 & 2
-X-Men: Children of the Atom

sin2beta

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 11:27:05 am »

Video game site.... Dream....

On January 31, 2001, Sega announced that they were discontinuing Dreamcast production

90snostalga

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 01:00:55 pm »

On January 31, 2001, Sega announced that they were discontinuing Dreamcast production

That's Sheldon for you.  Quick to find out what some ones user name means  :)

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 04:43:59 pm »

Yes, that is what my user name stands for. The day that Dreamcast was put out to pasture. I can't even say that the Dreamcast is my favorite console, but there was something tragic about that day that stands out to me. Probably because it was the end of the Sega hardware era and that I feel the console still had a life worth living.

Akihabara is pretty cool. It was actually a lot different than I pictured it when I showed up. Also hit up Joypolis if you go to Japan and are a Sega fan. We have Gameworks here in Arizona and I used to go all the time when it was owned by Sega. Joypolis makes Gameworks look lame.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:45:36 pm by DreamsDied13101 »
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 01:34:16 am »
Hmm about the cases.. Along time ago when I was a young tike I got a Saturn game and I do remember that even being busted. I haven't seen any around in a good while... Imma be on the prowl for it.
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren