Author Topic: Rom hacking question/inquery  (Read 1041 times)

soera

Rom hacking question/inquery
« on: February 13, 2014, 11:57:18 am »
Does anyone here do any sort of cartridge hacking? I really think the missing link for the SMS is Ys book II. I recently found out that its not possible to take the translated Famicom version and flash it onto an SMS card so I was wondering if its possible to rewrite the first game into the second?

sin2beta

Re: Rom hacking question/inquery
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:03:22 pm »
I noticed you did not post this on SMSPower. That would be the place to ask.

While putting the famicom on there would not work due to the code being different (can't run pc games on mac). A ROM hack would theoretically be possible. Although it would be a LOT of work and may not work out perfectly. But honestly, the sonicretro community does wonders when it comes to hacking ROMs. Although, that community may not be the one to ask...

But, post this on SMSPower. Bock will probably have quick and vey knowledgable answer.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

soera

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 07:37:48 pm »
I did also post it on Sega8bit which Bock goes to but probably not as often as his own. I cant say that Ive used the SMSpower forums yet. This may be the reason for me to sign up. :)

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:57:45 am »
Does anyone here do any sort of cartridge hacking? I really think the missing link for the SMS is Ys book II. I recently found out that its not possible to take the translated Famicom version and flash it onto an SMS card so I was wondering if its possible to rewrite the first game into the second?
Not without reprogramming it from scratch.

And that would take entirely too long.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:16:50 am »
Not without reprogramming it from scratch.

And that would take entirely too long.
This!

YS II has almost nothing in common with YS aside from ramming the enemies. You'd basically be creating the game from scratch so you might as well just create it from scratch.