Author Topic: retro video game collection  (Read 5587 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: retro video game collection
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2014, 01:24:30 pm »
If Super Nintendo is any indicator, NES prices will just continue to rise.

One would think NES price spiking would have occurred before Super.

Why is that? The retro-collecting scene has continually gotten more popular thanks to YouTube reviewers and all the pawn shows on T.V.

Well there's a certain percentage of collectors who are more focused on the consoles they grew up, rather than everything. The NES crowd has already relived their nostalgia, and now it's more SNES I assumed, soon to be N64 if not already. There's a reason why 6th and 7th gen are still cheap, and why 2nd gen is now cheap again. Though admittedly, there are some games that have become more like collector's items even within those groups - we're seeing "ultra rare" PS2 games going for $200 - that does have a lot to do with the overall reception of the hobby and the perceived value of it.

^ this

Atari collecting was very hot from about 1998 until 2004 and then it gradually declined until games that were once around $20 were now under $10. Even rare stuff like Sword Quest Waterworld lost half its value from the peak of 2600 collecting to what it i today. Video game collecting will continue to evolve, with systems like the NES and eventually the SNES losing momentum as people trying to relive their childhood grow older and lose interest. At the moment, N64 and especially PS1 are starting to see price spikes because collectors are migrating and people that grew up with these consoles are attaining enough disposable income to start collecting for these consoles. It will evolve again someday into 6th gen games becoming collectable, then to 7th gen, and so on.

I can't wait till the day when I pick up Earthbound for $20...

"Check Ebay" Earthbound still $150-$200.

HA! If only :p

Would not surprise me if it was around $100 again someday.

Wouldn't shock me either. Around the time it came out on WiiU, it could be had for about $115 for a few weeks. The price recovered, but not to the $180 it was before.  Folks that were sitting on 10 copies flooded eBay with them in fear that the price would tank.  Shows how many are out there.

davifus

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2014, 01:31:39 pm »

Why is that? The retro-collecting scene has continually gotten more popular thanks to YouTube reviewers and all the pawn shows on T.V.

Well there's a certain percentage of collectors who are more focused on the consoles they grew up, rather than everything. The NES crowd has already relived their nostalgia, and now it's more SNES I assumed, soon to be N64 if not already. There's a reason why 6th and 7th gen are still cheap, and why 2nd gen is now cheap again. Though admittedly, there are some games that have become more like collector's items even within those groups - we're seeing "ultra rare" PS2 games going for $200 - that does have a lot to do with the overall reception of the hobby and the perceived value of it.

^ this

Atari collecting was very hot from about 1998 until 2004 and then it gradually declined until games that were once around $20 were now under $10. Even rare stuff like Sword Quest Waterworld lost half its value from the peak of 2600 collecting to what it i today. Video game collecting will continue to evolve, with systems like the NES and eventually the SNES losing momentum as people trying to relive their childhood grow older and lose interest. At the moment, N64 and especially PS1 are starting to see price spikes because collectors are migrating and people that grew up with these consoles are attaining enough disposable income to start collecting for these consoles. It will evolve again someday into 6th gen games becoming collectable, then to 7th gen, and so on.

Wouldn't shock me either. Around the time it came out on WiiU, it could be had for about $115 for a few weeks. The price recovered, but not to the $180 it was before.  Folks that were sitting on 10 copies flooded eBay with them in fear that the price would tank.  Shows how many are out there.

I'm still looking for this specific Mother 1

http://rosecoloredgaming.wordpress.com/2013/06/27/earthbound-0-has-arrived/

I probably have a better chance of getting Earthbound than this ^

Such a sexy cart.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

maximo310

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2014, 02:18:07 pm »

^ this

I'm still looking for this specific Mother 1

http://rosecoloredgaming.wordpress.com/2013/06/27/earthbound-0-has-arrived/

I probably have a better chance of getting Earthbound than this ^

Such a sexy cart.
Actually buying that reproduction cart for a buy it now, or from that site is more expensive than  getting an earthbound cart at the moment for full price, so the only way to get a deal on that is that you get lucky in an ebay auction for just the cart itself. Although if you don't care about cart looks, the same game can be had for only $35:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/176502000/earthbound-zero?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=everything_else-custom-mid&gclid=CjwKEAjwwJmhBRC56KOelNOXhxUSJAB_w2uN9D9KgrGThF5iXKBf_WlHod7H9zbw-WKX4cWNw6Tq-xoC-BXw_wcB

davifus

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2014, 02:23:13 pm »
I know other Zero carts exist but it has to be this one, but I know I'll never find it.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

maximo310

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2014, 02:26:20 pm »
I know other Zero carts exist but it has to be this one, but I know I'll never find it.
Haha, don't worry, you'll just have to take your and time and search for a good deal for one since it does look the best out of all of the different repro carts for the game.