Author Topic: Japanese Learning  (Read 1400 times)

Japanese Learning
« on: April 13, 2014, 11:17:55 pm »
I'm finally feeling like my japanese learning is actually getting some where. I pounded in 7 kanji meanings in all in one day. Sorry to offend any non beginers like me. (I know to be fluent you need about 3007 of them kanji)
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

Re: Japanese Learning
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 11:25:17 pm »
i just started practicing katakana as well

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 11:43:53 pm »
What do you guys do for your learning? I've always been rather interested in delving into the language myself, just haven't really taken the plunge and I'm curious what would be recommended for it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:58:53 am by kamikazekeeg »

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 12:31:21 am »
I remember using flash cards to memorize katakana/hiragana, sadly I don't remember much anymore since I only took a high school course.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

90snostalga

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 01:13:04 am »
I gave up on the japanese after while.  I got all the letters down hirigana and katakana but that d*** kanji is a big head ache.  What I did when I played Dragon ball on the famicom was just look up the english translations online to help me understand the story.  I think when I eventually get Earthbound for the Famicom Im just going to look up the translations online.  But I used online flash cards to help learn.

blipcs76

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 02:01:10 pm »
I started using My Japanese Coach on the DS, but haven't touched it in a few months.  I've probably forgotten everything I learned in it.

anruiukimi

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 03:08:38 pm »
Be lazy like me, and living there for three years doesn't help much either. I'm solid in kana, but my kanji is shit. I keep telling myself to get moving again on it (I have books and the handy DS guide, but still lazy.)

Seriously, though, good luck! It's a commitment with a great payoff if you complete. :)

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 03:43:24 pm »
I started using My Japanese Coach on the DS, but haven't touched it in a few months.  I've probably forgotten everything I learned in it.

How good is something like that? I assume it's not quite the full learning experience and more of an accessory or lead in to deeper learning, but it would be handy.

anruiukimi

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 04:45:50 pm »

How good is something like that? I assume it's not quite the full learning experience and more of an accessory or lead in to deeper learning, but it would be handy.

It's helpful as a framework, definitely, and it's great in pounding in basic vocabulary. I didn't get far enough to evaluate beyond that. I do know that there is a Japanese DS cart that was very popular for kanji identification, but I never picked it up. Half the other foreign teachers I knew had it, though.

Edit: Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten (helpful once you learn basic stroke order, which I've completely forgotten.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:50:30 pm by anruiukimi »

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 06:31:57 pm »
What do you guys do for your learning? I've always been rather interested in delving into the language myself, just haven't really taken the plunge and I'm curious what would be recommended for it.
I recommend textfugu. I was interested in it 4 years ago, but never started untill two years ago and still barely made it any where.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 06:35:13 pm »
I gave up on the japanese after while.  I got all the letters down hirigana and katakana but that d*** kanji is a big head ache.  What I did when I played Dragon ball on the famicom was just look up the english translations online to help me understand the story.  I think when I eventually get Earthbound for the Famicom Im just going to look up the translations online.  But I used online flash cards to help learn.
There characters not letters, but that kanji is a mofo.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 08:32:25 pm »
I recommend textfugu. I was interested in it 4 years ago, but never started untill two years ago and still barely made it any where.

I was really enjoying Textfugu and their sister supplemental webapp WaniKani.  I've fallen off the wagon with my lessons, but I want to pick it up come summer time, if not sooner.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas