Author Topic: The 3DS had his third birthday this week, what are your thoughts of it?  (Read 1409 times)

vancha

Most of you guys will have forgotten this, but the Nintendo 3DS just turned three years old the 25th in Europe and the 28th in the US. Nintendo had a long a difficult ride so far with their latest handheld, and allthough I still dislike the 3D-aspect of the system, I have come to love the handheld for its wonderful library.

When I first picked it up, I had a rough time finding games that I actually liked, but the second and especially the third year made up for it big time, as you can see in my collection video below.

So what do you guys think of Ninty's latest handheld now? Are you happy with how it is turning out and what would you still like to see on it?

pacpix

Whoa I did not realize the 3DS has been out for three years.  I got the Link Between Worlds bundle for Christmas last year and I have really enjoyed the system so far.  For the first couple of weeks all I did was play 3DS whenever I had free time which is kind of odd for me as I usually prefer a console over a handheld system.  I agree with you on the 3D aspect though, I have not used it for more than five minutes.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

I'm a late comer to the 3DS, having gotten a 2DS with Pokemon X and Between Worlds for Christmas, but there are a number of good games for it and more I need to get.  I think it's a pretty solid handheld overall and really, Nintendo has always been the best for handhelds to me.  I don't quite play it as much as I should right now, I'm too easily pulled away to my PC or the Wii U I got at the moment, but I am gonna go back and beat through the games I have which is Pokemon X, Zelda, and Super Mario 3D Land.

karyann

I've had a 3DS since a month after launch, and never regretted it. At first I never used the 3D function, but I've come to like it a lot. Now I use it all the time, but only when I'm at home, because it uses more battery so I would have less play time on the go.

The Nintendo DS was my favourite system ever, and the 3DS is making it difficult for me to choose. The library is great, and I love the circle pad!

vancha

I've had a 3DS since a month after launch, and never regretted it. At first I never used the 3D function, but I've come to like it a lot. Now I use it all the time, but only when I'm at home, because it uses more battery so I would have less play time on the go.

The Nintendo DS was my favourite system ever, and the 3DS is making it difficult for me to choose. The library is great, and I love the circle pad!

The regular DS library still beats the 3DS's easily, but then again that can still change in the next two or three years. The games that Nintendo made are easily just as good, or even better then those on DS, but the third party's from the West are even worse now... Hopefully we will get a ton of games from Japan over :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

3 years already? Wow. It's been a great handheld, IMO. Some killer releases for it: Zelda: Link Between Worlds, Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros 2, DKC Returns 3D, RE: Revelations, etc. HUGE releases.

The handheld scene is where the Nintendo of old has lived on, while it's console scene left us old gamers behind for the casual crowd. Funny thing is, though, that the handheld has been selling way better.

One thing the 3DS really needs, though, is more Virtual Console stuff. It's Virtual Console library is a joke compared to Wii's and it's only a matter of time before the Wii's Virtual Console service is shut down now.

Warmsignal

It's become a very solid platform over the past two years, I'm only disappointed with the third party support aside from Atlus and Sega. Devs seem to be ignoring the 3DS in spite of the install base and the enthusiasm. Seems the DS was a bit more promising at year 3.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

The 3DS is pretty awesome...  If only I bought the The Legend Of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds bundle.  Then again, it would probably be the only game I would play on the handheld, 3DS-wise.

3 years...   :o

Please check out the games I have for sale.

One thing the 3DS really needs, though, is more Virtual Console stuff. It's Virtual Console library is a joke compared to Wii's and it's only a matter of time before the Wii's Virtual Console service is shut down now.

YES I totally agree. The 3DS and Wii U Virtual Consoles are piss poor. The thing I don't understand is that they were just playing around with virtual console/emulation stuff a few years ago on the Wii. Shouldn't they have already did most of the foot-work, so why is it taking so long to get them onto 3DS and Wii U?

Why haven't they released the 3DS Ambassador games to the public yet? What, Nintendo doesn't want my money?

Why can't the Virtual Console games purchased on my 3DS also be downloaded onto the Wii U? I have to buy them twice! (Of course assuming the title is on both VCs.)

No plans for GameCube games on VC (yet). They're currently just mucking around on the subject by bring GBA and DS titles to the Wii U instead. It seems to me they should still have the source code for their GameCube stuff. It shouldn't have taken the one and a half years the Wii U has been out to recompile some of them for the Wii U.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:17:35 am by badATchaos »

spac316

Great system overall! It has a good library of software and some nice side features as well!

anruiukimi

Re: The 3DS had his third birthday this week, what are your thoughts of it?
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 03:38:47 pm »
I waffled on it for a few years, as I still have my DS and was only playing it every once in awhile, but the fact that my DS only holds a  charge for a few hours now while playing pretty much sealed it for me this last year. Grabbed a 3DS XL on Black Friday (blue, of course, had to get a color I could slap slime stickers on and use a DQ case, after all ;) ,) and have bought five games since. (Lego LotR, Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, One Piece: Romance Dawn, and Mario Kart 7.) I do have Link Between Worlds coming in the mail, to make six.

If anyone has any suggestions for games, I'm always up for them! :)