Author Topic: April 2014 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased  (Read 32714 times)

argyle

Re: April 2014 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2014, 04:54:46 pm »
I picked up Grand Theft Auto IV - Greatest Hits for $5 and Super Caesar's Palace for $2.50.

...GTA IV has not aged well.

I didn't think GTA IV was good when it was released lol

I was thinking this but didn't want to say it.   :-X    ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

karyann

« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2014, 04:58:09 pm »
Conception 2 (no relation to J. Concepcion:) "added to collection;D

I got an e-mail from Amazon at 7 AM saying it was just shipped. At 1 PM Google Now told me it was marked as delivered. I'm amazed by the speed (pretty sure they shipped it yesterday though, they seem to often do that), and I'm also excited to get home!  ;D I hope they didn't smash the box like they did Bravely Default, though  :o

« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2014, 05:30:41 pm »

I'm very open about my hate with this game lol I loved the first 3 games (Since GTA3), but that one is just a disaster.  The engine and city looked good, but Niko is awful, Roman is awful, they removed customization and most things to buy, the car physics are terrible, there are really not many good side missions, the story is bland, you have no reason to have money, the friendship crap is abysmal...It's easily the worst GTA game I played.

argyle

« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2014, 05:57:28 pm »
To me GTA IV was where the series started taking itself way too seriously.  The PS2 games were guilty of this to some degree but they still had a sense of everything being tongue-in-cheek.  With GTA IV (and what little I played of V, which admittedly wasn't much) the series just feels much more dark & bleak to me.  I much prefer Saint's Row, give me straight-up silly anyday over melodramatic. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

foxhack

« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2014, 05:59:09 pm »

I'm very open about my hate with this game lol I loved the first 3 games (Since GTA3), but that one is just a disaster.  The engine and city looked good, but Niko is awful, Roman is awful, they removed customization and most things to buy, the car physics are terrible, there are really not many good side missions, the story is bland, you have no reason to have money, the friendship crap is abysmal...It's easily the worst GTA game I played.

BUT WE CAN GO BOWLING, COUSIN!

« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2014, 06:47:57 pm »
To me GTA IV was where the series started taking itself way too seriously.  The PS2 games were guilty of this to some degree but they still had a sense of everything being tongue-in-cheek.  With GTA IV (and what little I played of V, which admittedly wasn't much) the series just feels much more dark & bleak to me.  I much prefer Saint's Row, give me straight-up silly anyday over melodramatic.

Saints Row 2 came out the same year later on and it was an absolutely better game in pretty much every way.  It might not have been quite as stable and good looking as GTAIV, but man was it a hell of a lot more fun with tons of stuff to do.

soera

« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2014, 07:08:39 pm »
Conception 2  "added to collection;D

I was pissed off about this earlier but it turned into a good deal. I pre-ordered the game from Best buy over a month ago and paid in full for it. I go in there today and apparently it didnt register as a pre-order in their system so it was never shipped. I had to get a return of the cash and run off to Gamestop to see if they had some. They had one shrink wrapped copy still so I snatched up pretty quickly. The guy at the counter asked me "Anything else you need?" and I jokingly said "Tales of Symphonia CE". He looked on his computer and one of his other stores (he was the regional manager) has one still brand new. Its getting transferred over and Im picking it up tomorrow! :D

« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2014, 07:17:34 pm »
i also prefer saints row.
i thought saints row 2 was amazing.

foxhack

« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2014, 07:23:49 pm »

Saints Row 2 came out the same year later on and it was an absolutely better game in pretty much every way.  It might not have been quite as stable and good looking as GTAIV, but man was it a hell of a lot more fun with tons of stuff to do.

... don't you mean Saints Row 3?

« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2014, 07:37:20 pm »

... don't you mean Saints Row 3?

No, I mean Saints Row 2.  Both GTA4 and SR2 were released in 2008.  SR3 didn't come out till 2011.

« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2014, 07:39:08 pm »

Agreed fully. It's not nearly as charming as San Andreas/Vice City, and not as fun either. It was just very bleak, and optimization for consoles wasn't the best at the time, so it had a low frame rate.

foxhack

« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2014, 08:03:25 pm »
No, I mean Saints Row 2.  Both GTA4 and SR2 were released in 2008.  SR3 didn't come out till 2011.

... huh.  ???

Agreed fully. It's not nearly as charming as San Andreas/Vice City, and not as fun either. It was just very bleak, and optimization for consoles wasn't the best at the time, so it had a low frame rate.

It's 2014 and the PC port of the game barely runs properly. Though that's mostly because of the two to three layers of DRM on top of the game. :P

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2014, 08:29:47 pm »
3DS
  • Steeldiver-$6
  • Conception 2
Xbox
  • GUN-$4
  • XBLA Triple Pack(Trials HD, Limbo, 'Splosion Man)-$5
Wii
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii<-no Manual, BUT had two copies of the game in it -$5
PS4
  • Knack-$30

karyann

« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2014, 09:05:18 pm »
Conception 2  "added to collection;D

I was pissed off about this earlier but it turned into a good deal. I pre-ordered the game from Best buy over a month ago and paid in full for it. I go in there today and apparently it didnt register as a pre-order in their system so it was never shipped. I had to get a return of the cash and run off to Gamestop to see if they had some. They had one shrink wrapped copy still so I snatched up pretty quickly. The guy at the counter asked me "Anything else you need?" and I jokingly said "Tales of Symphonia CE". He looked on his computer and one of his other stores (he was the regional manager) has one still brand new. Its getting transferred over and Im picking it up tomorrow! :D

Whoa man, that's some luck right there! Seems like sometimes it's good to ask.  :o

anruiukimi

« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2014, 09:27:39 pm »
Soera, lucky break! Here's hoping it shows and everything is dandy! :D